Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Service Intervals  (Read 1857 times)

DREBBIN

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA # 22419
Service Intervals
« on: October 02, 2005, 12:14:17 PM »

We all know what the manual says; 1k, then 5k, then 10k, etc.

But the dealers are still saying, "Well, we really think you should come in every 2500."

What is your opinion?
IBA # 22419
SS1K
SS1K

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: Service Intervals
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:48:25 PM »

Personally, I change my engine @ 2500, and do all three on 5K intervals.  If you do it yourself, you're talking about an extra 30 bucks or so every 2500 miles.  I kinda enjoy doing it, and check everything else at the same time.  Does the motor really need changing that often ?  No, but it ain't gonna hurt anything either.  I sure wouldn't take to a dealer though just for basic service. Nobody is going to be more careful and take more pride in doing a good job than me. Plus I know just exactly what was or wasn't done.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 04:20:24 PM »

When I used dino oil I changed mine every 2500 but since I switched to syn. I change every 5000. Like GC said it doesn't hurt to change it more often.
[smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

2up

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Service Intervals/break in
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 05:34:29 AM »

I was thinking about having a high flow a/c, slipon exhaus & race tuner installed the day I pick up the bike. Do you think this would be a good idea since it is new? Or should I do this after the break in period?

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:48:50 AM »

2up, welcome to the site.  In order to answer your question, in todays EPA world, you will have to post your part numbers. If your breather and pipes are from the main catalog and are 50 state legal, you can do a download on the RT for that for break-in. If you're using the breather and pipes from the SE catalog, then there is no RT download and it might be a little lean.  You could do a downlaod for breather and stock pipes, then at 1K miles you can change pipes and do you're dyno tune.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:51:26 AM »

I was thinking about having a high flow a/c, slipon exhaus & race tuner installed the day I pick up the bike. Do you think this would be a good idea since it is new? Or should I do this after the break in period?
2up,

No problem installing the parts you mention prior to completing the break-in.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 07:53:31 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 09:56:58 AM »

My dealer agrees with GRC.  I am having Rineharts, RT, Stage 1 installed at delivery and they will down load a genaric map, at my 1K they will bolt her down on the dyno.  
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.