Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ThunderStar replacements....  (Read 1459 times)

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
ThunderStar replacements....
« on: November 05, 2005, 07:52:30 AM »

After my second set of wheels the dealer is thinking about providing me a set of mirror finish ThunderStars instead of the stock replacements that keep falling apart.

I may have to eat a little of the difference in price, but if the chrome actually stays on I don't mind a little spend. I've got 8 months left on my warranty and have replaced what seems to be about everything chromed excpet the handlebars, and forks... >:(

I asked my dealer about Harley standing behind the bike's probelms after warranty's done and I gathered I shouldn't expect that.

Frankly I'm not so worried about all the other chrome thingies as much as I am about the wheels. Since those are 625 a pop I don't expect the dealer to eat that, plus it's a gaurranty I won't either. So I'm hoping these mirror finish one's might last, thus ease my sleepness nights as I hear, from the garage, chome pitting and falling off.

In Maggie Valley a couple of you guys had those wheels....how are they holding up..??

P....

Big Time

• Junior CVO Member
  • We ride for beer...need a beer for the ride
Re: ThunderStar replacements....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 08:53:49 AM »

simple solution. Get your new thunderstars, sell them on Ebay and use the money to buy some PM Villians. They are the best looking rims I've seen and PMs quality is second to none. Just my 2 cents worth.
2004 FLHTCSE black and blue
1998 XLHC 1200

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:06:24 AM »

Phattey......I replaced the original junk wheels with the Thunderstars.  Been on about a year and are fine.  I''ve had several sets of them prior on various bikes and have not had any problems.  FYI, the Thunderstars are contracted with a different company than are the stock wheels.  I don't understand your comment about "paying the difference" as the Thunderstar wheels are $43.90 per wheel, dealer cost, cheaper than the originals.  When the dealer warranties the original wheels, his parts invoice is credited the amount of the original equipment.  You may want to advise the dealer that he's blowin' smoke up your a$$ and request the Thunderstars plus $87.80 and an apology for attempting to get your knickers off.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 08:08:35 PM »

BLM777...thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to hear from the dealer this week on the trade..

But...in my case the Mirror Finish Thunderstar is more than my stock Thunderstars, at least that's what the catalog presented. '05 OE Thunderstar...625...with Mirror Finish being 895. Only the '04 bikes with got the free swap...due to the '04 Detonator ($1000.00) being more than the Mirror Finish...

I may have that all wrong..but that's what I thought I had discovered...

I hadn't figured in the dealer invoice or cost and was only looking into the retail prices.

P

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 09:05:00 AM »

There are two different Thunderstar wheels.   The one on the '05 SEEG is the $625 version, with the rough surface on the edges of the spokes.  The $895 Mirror Finish version has smooth edges on the spokes, thus the additional cost for the extra machining and polishing prior to the chrome.

I've personally had no problems what so ever with my '05 Thunderstar's.  I believe that part of the reason the chrome holds up better on these wheels is due to less flex from the basic design.  A wheel with more flex will put additional stress on the molecular bond between the base material and the nickel/chrome layers.  Extremely good prep and strict adherence to process parameters is necessary to get chrome to adhere well on a flexible surface.  I am guessing the Detonators didn't receive the extra care required in manufacturing that they needed.  I've seen the same issue on some aftermarket wheels with small widely spaced spokes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 09:08:43 AM »

GRC..yup..

That's correct...

Thanks...

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »

For what it's worth, I've had no problems with mine since August 04.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:34:26 AM »

Phattey, a nice picture of NiteAl's Chrome Thunderstars while we were in the valley this spring.  They are very nice looking.  MrWe changed his peeling Detonators in on them. The dealer was good enough like BLM777's to just replace them and no mention of cost difference.  I understand that you do not have the detonators but rather the Thunderstars like mine.  I am so sorry to hear that yours are starting to fail.  Is the chrome peeling?  Or pitting?

Of course NiteAl's look so much better than ours because he removed the right side brake .........          uh .... thingie?

;D     [smiley=cherry.gif]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 10:38:56 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 10:49:38 AM »

I think the way NiteAl has that rotor and caliper removed is HOT.. 8-)

Is that okay to do..?? I wonder what all has to be done to accomplish that. Wait a sec..his looks that good cause it's a  [smiley=cherry.gif]. My  [smiley=jalapeno.gif] may not look so hot... :-/

I rememebr I could'nt quit staring at it. Of course all the rain kinda forced me to look at something... ;)

Anyway, my front has started to pit and flake. The rear is only pitting a little. I hope I can get the mirror finish without too much out of pocket. Of course the reason the Detonator repalcement dosen't cost folks anything is that the Detonator is about 100 bux a piece more than the mirror finish thunderstar....

Thanks....for the picture...

p

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »

;D  That's it, Rotor and Caliper.  I knew that is what it was called.......... yeah, sure I did.

But you gotta remember what Mobe says.  The  [smiley=cherry.gif] are nice, but the  [smiley=jalapeno.gif] are hotter than h$ll!  

And I know your bike would look great with these rims.  Mr We's BnB  looks awesome, even with the ..... Rotor and Caliper on it.  

Hey Ron, say Hi to Wendy for us.  

:-*   [smiley=cherry.gif]

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.