Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Pics of my new ride and dyno sheet  (Read 10477 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: Pics of my new ride and dyno sheet
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 02:56:41 PM »

Hey Fr8trn.  I also have those whips from Freedom Cycle.  They recommend the threaded ring to be spun all the way to the top for best SWR.  Did you find that to be true when you setup yours with a SWR meter?

Don't know, ain't done it yet..... [smiley=nervous.gif]

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
  • CAUTION: Extreamly shinny. WEAR EYE PROTECTION
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 03:12:23 PM »

Okay, I needed something else to do while waiting for warmer weather.  So, for a non-radio tech, is getting at the back of the radio the only way to do it?  Is it a standard CB radio antenna connection, so all I need is available at Radio Shack?

On the new bikes, there is a connection (Motorola type) under the Tour-Pak liner INSIDE the Tour-Pak. This is where you put your SWR meter in line to check/set the antenna match.
2006 FLHTCUSE
TrueDuals, 6-Speed, Stage-1, Race Tuner, High Flow
...and a shiny little bell

Mike103

• Junior CVO Member
  • High on the HOG
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 06:25:28 PM »

On the new bikes, there is a connection (Motorola type) under the Tour-Pak liner INSIDE the Tour-Pak. This is where you put your SWR meter in line to check/set the antenna match.

Question for a radio tech:  I got a Radio Shack SWR meter, but I have to make up cables with Motorola fittings to match the PL 259 connectors on the meter.  Do the added cabling and connectors affect the SWR reading?

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 10:50:52 PM »

Question for a radio tech:  I got a Radio Shack SWR meter, but I have to make up cables with Motorola fittings to match the PL 259 connectors on the meter.  Do the added cabling and connectors affect the SWR reading?

If done correctly there should be no affect at all! By the way, Radio Shack probably sells PL 259 to Motorola adapters...Motorola plugs are common for car radio antennas.
2006 FLHTCUSE

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 08:35:57 AM »

If done correctly there should be no affect at all! By the way, Radio Shack probably sells PL 259 to Motorola adapters...Motorola plugs are common for car radio antennas.

I just bought my 2' RG-58 Coax Cable Assembly from Radio Shack last night. Part # 278-968

Any cabling and connectors will affect the SWR's if there is impedence in them.. The trick is to have good cabling and make good electrical connections with the connectors.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:36:32 AM by TANK »
TANK

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 09:09:49 AM »

Tank was that a swr meter with motorolas or just an adapter?
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 09:12:06 AM »

That was just the "patch" cable to use with the SWR meter.

The SWR meter is part #21-534.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:13:04 AM by TANK »
TANK

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 05:11:02 PM »

Well.. well.. looks like we have a problem Houston! [smiley=oops.gif]

Seems the 2006 model with the new radio uses mini-UFH plugs instead of the normal ones!! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

So looks like we get to order a special kit from HD with the correct adaptors. Part # HD-48037  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Most dealers I've talked to don't even know about this Kit yet..  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
TANK

SE_ULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »

Well.. well.. looks like we have a problem Houston! [smiley=oops.gif]

Seems the 2006 model with the new radio uses mini-UFH plugs instead of the normal ones!! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

So looks like we get to order a special kit from HD with the correct adaptors. Part # HD-48037  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Most dealers I've talked to don't even know about this Kit yet..  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Not true! let me re-post again:

2006 FLHTCUSE

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »

Everything I've been told and read, they say "for best results.."  make readings from the back of the radio so you see what the radio sees.. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

On the new bikes, there is a connection (Motorola type) under the Tour-Pak liner INSIDE the Tour-Pak. This is where you put your SWR meter in line to check/set the antenna match

Not to mention that the connection (Motorola type) under the tour pak needs different connectors to the SWR meter also.. [smiley=confused5.gif]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:43:49 PM by TANK »
TANK

Mike103

• Junior CVO Member
  • High on the HOG
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2006, 11:29:21 PM »

I never got instructions either....good thing I am a radio tech LOL

I found the best match was with the ring just below center, but all antenna's will be different.

WORD OF CAUTION!

if you fail to match your antenna, you may have highter then a 2.5:1 match..THIS COULD DAMAGE YOUR RADIO...the final output stage to be exact.

If you don't know how to do this, take it to a CB shop...if you are in So. Cal....stop by my place

Thanks for your warning.  I'm glad I spent the money and time to check SWR.  With the knurled ring all the way up, my SWR was pinning the meter in the red zone.  My best dialed in position is just above center, as you said, all antennas are different.  It is amazing how much difference in SWR a very minor position adjustment makes.  

This info should go to Freedom Cycles, and anyone with their antennas.  

Mike103

• Junior CVO Member
  • High on the HOG
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2006, 11:41:15 PM »

Everything I've been told and read, they say "for best results.."  make readings from the back of the radio so you see what the radio sees.. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Hmmmm.  I did a little lurking on a CB board and ran across this post:

With the exception of a small handful of antennas, SWR should not be flat across a band as wide as the CB Band. There should be a reasonable bandwith and there should be a low point where you tune your antenna. IF you plot the SWR on a dipole or quarter wave vertical over an entire band you will see that the SWR is "U" shaped with one very low frequency point called resonance. The FARTHER away on either side of resonance you get, frequency wise, the antenna will become increasingly out of tune and rusult in a higher SWR.

There are you checking your SWR? Coax length should not come into play as mentioned above. And IF IF IF it does ditch the coax because it is defective. In order to determine the TRUE SWR you should measure it at the feedpoint of the antenna and not at the radio. Now granted the radio should be happy with the load it sees but the SWR at the radio output looking into the transmission line but this read will probably NOT be the same as the SWR as measured at the antenna feedpoint. IF you measure it at the radio you are factoring in the losses built into every type of coax and this will result in a SWR that may or may NOT reflect SWR at the antenna feedpoint.

The thing you have to remember is this. While you have to keep your radio happy (of course) with the feedline at the feedline/radio junction, remember all power is ultimately transferred to the antenna at the Antenna Feedpoint. An inbalance at the feedpoint of the antenna will result in power being lost to excess input or excess coax reactance. So IF you can, check the SWR at the Feedpoint of the antenna as well as immediately after the radio output.

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 09:49:31 AM »

Well and OK if you think the SWR should be checked at both places, what adaptors did anyone figure out for the quick-disconnect in the tour pak to the SWR meter? This quick disconnect looks like a male-female phone plug on my 06 model. I didn't see anything at Radio Shack to adapt it to the SWR meter. [smiley=confused5.gif]

Part numbers and/or pictures would be great for this.. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
TANK

Mike103

• Junior CVO Member
  • High on the HOG
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 10:06:42 AM »

Well and OK if you think the SWR should be checked at both places, what adaptors did anyone figure out for the quick-disconnect in the tour pak to the SWR meter? This quick disconnect looks like a male-female phone plug on my 06 model. I didn't see anything at Radio Shack to adapt it to the SWR meter. [smiley=confused5.gif]

Part numbers and/or pictures would be great for this.. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Someone else may have a better way to accomplish this, but here goes.  These are Radio Shack part nos.  You'll need two 278-968 cables.  Cut the end off of one of the cables to install a 274-710 on the cut end, and discard the cutoff coupler, and that's your Motorola female side.  Set it aside.  Take the other cable, and simply screw a 278-208C adapter to one end.  At this point hookup should be self explanatory.  That should do it.  

TANK

• Full CVO Member
  • BIG RED II
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 10:08:56 AM »

Thanks Mike! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
TANK
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.