Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil blow-by???  (Read 1026 times)

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
Oil blow-by???
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »

Just got back from Lexington, KY cruising great roads and phenomenal horse farms. At any rate, traveling 75-80 mph in 80+ degree heat I discovered oil on the bottom of the air cleaner and blown all over the side of the bike. I immediately just dropped it off at my stealer but would like to hear if anyone experienced the same and what are they gonna tell me the cause is? Thanks for any comments/advice. >:(

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
Re: Oil blow-by???
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

5000 miles and not a drop out of the air cleaner.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 06:45:57 PM »

Is it a stock air cleaner?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »

My bike's in the shop now for this and a new ECM. I should pick her up this week. Let you know what they say it was. Mine's a SE Pro High Flow 58mm A/C Breather kit.

JW

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »

Stock Air Cleaner, SE Super Tuner, Vance & Hines true duals, rinehart slip ons.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:43:47 PM »

Just got back from Lexington, KY cruising great roads and phenomenal horse farms. At any rate, traveling 75-80 mph in 80+ degree heat I discovered oil on the bottom of the air cleaner and blown all over the side of the bike. I immediately just dropped it off at my stealer but would like to hear if anyone experienced the same and what are they gonna tell me the cause is? Thanks for any comments/advice. >:(

Unless you got one of the handful of really good dealerships, what they will tell you is "they all do that, it's normal".  While many/most Harley's do in fact have some oil carryover into the air cleaner from the breather system, it should not be to the point of dripping oil or spewing a film down the side of the bike.

How many miles do you have on the bike, and how long has it been since the last time the air cleaner was serviced?  Oil will build up over time, and I personally think that has as much to do with the 5000 miles air cleaner service requirement as actually checking/cleaning the filter element.  Also, while this theoretically shouldn't make a difference with a dry sump engine it has made a difference for me and a lot of others; try running the oil level a pint below the full mark (hot).  If the engine continues to puke oil, contact H-D and let them know you don't expect a modern motorcycle to oil down the side of the bike and the rider/passenger, so where would they like you to send the cleaning bill for your boots and pants while they figure out how to fix it?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »

Sorry to hear about your issue Roger. They've got two of them to work on now. I have what started out as a small drip around the oil filter / cooler and it's now bad enough that I took it in this p.m. I'll let you know how it goes.

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Thanks for the information Jerry and I have heard to run it a pint down to minimize this from happening. I have 3200 miles on the bike now. Haven't heard from the dealer yet, figure they will just clean the filter, do the 5000 mile service and tell me it was a fluke. Sorry to hear your bike is in the shop now Jim, hope it is a simple fix.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.