Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5th Gear Noise in 07  (Read 4872 times)

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
5th Gear Noise in 07
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »

A friend bought a used 07 RK and complain about the 5th gear noise. We went too Ray Price in raleigh,nc (HD Dealer) to pick to up the oil for all the 3 holes. I ask the parts guy for Amsoil 75/90 gear oil and he  said he didnt carry that weight. He did carry Wynns synthetic 75/140 gear oil and wynns friction modifier for the 07 with 6 gears. which would stop the 5th gear noise. He told us to pour out 4 1/4 out of the wynns gear oil and put 4 1/4 of the wynns friction modifier back in the gear oil bottle and mix them up.  he said that would fix the noise..well we did just what he said and sure enough the noise is gone. The service dept has been using the wynns for 2 years now for the 07 with 6 gears.
I google wynns and nothing came up for motorcycles or Harleys. Does something work any better than wynns? or do you think  this could harm the transmission?

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
Re: 5th Gear Noise in 07
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »

yea I saw and read about it.. so why is a Harley Dealer telling customers too put this in the gear box?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:18 AM »

yea I saw and read about it.. so why is a Harley Dealer telling customers too put this in the gear box?

Because he probably got tired of people complaining about noise since HD cheaped out on the gears, and if something blows up the claim can be denied because you put a non-approved product in it. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »

He told us to pour out 4 1/4 out of the wynns gear oil and put 4 1/4 of the wynns friction modifier back in the gear oil bottle and mix them up.  he said that would fix the noise..well we did just what he said and sure enough the noise is gone. ........ Does something work any better than wynns?

Is the noise gone gone, as in GONE!

When I switched to Redline Heavy Shockproof the noise went away about 95% initially, then came back a bit.  It's now about 85% gone, and very bearable.  In fact, I kinda like a little noise because it reminds me that I'm in 5th. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »

PR3VS56,
The guy drove the bike home after we change the oil (15 miles) and there was no noise. He hasnt drove the bike since (been raining in NC all week). I will give you a update once he has put some more miles on the bike. Me personally I would have researched wynns oil a little more before I would put it in my transmission.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.