Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Fat Bob  (Read 4940 times)

Busterbrown

2009 Fat Bob
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »

I have had my 2009 CVO Fat Bob for a couple of weeks now and would like to share the following experiences. After picking up the bike I was very disappointed with the sound and performance from the stock exhaust,so I replaced the pipes with a set of Vance and Hines double barrel and put on a PC V when the bike had 800kms on it. I was also concerned that there was more top end noise than there should be and the bike ran WAY too hot as the idle management system would kick in often. The power commander came from Fuel Moto pre loaded with the required map for my set up. After the install the bike ran great and the topend noise had become quieter,the bike ran way cooler but was still making more top end noise than my 09 Deluxe makes so I took it in to the dealer to have a look and tighten up the steering head and shut off the Idle management system.This was at 1000kms

When I called to pick up my bike I was told it did not have a idle management system on it and the reason the rear cylinder shut down was because the map was incorrect and the rear cylinder was overheating. I was assured that this bike did not have the system on it and they suggested a valve had let go as I had lost compression id the rear jug.Dispite my claim of the heat management system and showing them the owners manual they did not accept my claim. They also agrred that there is more top end noise than normal. It was suggested at this time that my warranty was void because they did not install the map.

When I arrived to pick up my bike I was told that they would like to do a check on the auto compression release relays to see if they can find anything.I agreed and left the bike with them. Keep in mind this is a very large well respected dealer in our area and they have done work on all of my other Harleys and have been great to deal with.

I went back the next day and I was then informed they found this bike did have a temp management system in it and the relay was shutting the rear cyclinder off early. I had them disarm the system completely. They did cover this under my warranty.
I have scheduled a dyno tune to be done and if the top end noise does not go away, the beast will be for sale. This has turned into a very disappointing Harley experience for me as the bike has been to the dealer 3 times in the back of my trailer for aother problems. Anyone else had warranty issues by adding a fueler?

Spikesmith01

• CVO1: Just traded my 2008 Sportster for a 2009 CVO Fat Bob.
Re: 2009 Fat Bob
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »

I have a 09 CVO Fat Bob as well. I changed the cam to 251 and a race tune by the dealer (SERT). I am going to check wiht them this week because my heat management system keeps kicking on too. It does get very hot even after the race tune. I didn't think this would be a problem.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »

My 09 has the Rush slipon mufflers with the 2" baffles. First the top end noise. It is there but I believe this is just the way it is although I to worried about it. After 1700 reliable miles I have stopped worrying about it and started enjoying the bike. Admittedly my 08 SG is very quiet mechanically but I have had several HD guru's listen to the 09 bike and say "all is well". As to the heat management system. It is there and when I first got my bike it would kick in at almost every traffic light. Don't believe anything is being hurt by it shutting down the rear cylinder. That's what it was designed to do. As for tuning. I have the PCV from FuelMoto and couldn't be happier. The rear cylinder still shuts down but NO WHERE NEAR what it did before. It takes a hot day in a lot of traffic to activate. My mileage increased with the PCV, though I was told it would drop just a little. If you like the looks and handling of this bike and are just worrying yourself about that top end noise then I would go to several dealers (HD or Independent shops) and have them take a listen. I'm thinking they will calm your fears. If they don't, then get rid of the bike. Peace of mind is more important than any motorcycle. Lastly, while I had some doubts about this bike initially (It just didn't fit me. Now I've grown in to it) I enjoy it more and more every time I get on it. Hope it all works out for you.
  Gary
P.S. I talked to my local tuner who installed a SERT tuner on my 08 SG, about the PCV. Just talk as I am very happy with the PCV as is. He did mention he could do a lot with the bike if it had the SERT tuner. $359 for the tuner and $295 dyno time. This might be an option for you if you keep the bike. Also try this trick though it may become tiring. Hold you legs against the fuel tank. It eliminates a lot of noise.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »

My 09 has the Rush slipon mufflers with the 2" baffles. First the top end noise. It is there but I believe this is just the way it is although I to worried about it. After 1700 reliable miles I have stopped worrying about it and started enjoying the bike. Admittedly my 08 SG is very quiet mechanically but I have had several HD guru's listen to the 09 bike and say "all is well". As to the heat management system. It is there and when I first got my bike it would kick in at almost every traffic light. Don't believe anything is being hurt by it shutting down the rear cylinder. That's what it was designed to do. As for tuning. I have the PCV from FuelMoto and couldn't be happier. The rear cylinder still shuts down but NO WHERE NEAR what it did before. It takes a hot day in a lot of traffic to activate. My mileage increased with the PCV, though I was told it would drop just a little. If you like the looks and handling of this bike and are just worrying yourself about that top end noise then I would go to several dealers (HD or Independent shops) and have them take a listen. I'm thinking they will calm your fears. If they don't, then get rid of the bike. Peace of mind is more important than any motorcycle. Lastly, while I had some doubts about this bike initially (It just didn't fit me. Now I've grown in to it) I enjoy it more and more every time I get on it. Hope it all works out for you.
  Gary

Did you change out the SYN 3 Oil ??
P.S. I talked to my local tuner who installed a SERT tuner on my 08 SG, about the PCV. Just talk as I am very happy with the PCV as is. He did mention he could do a lot with the bike if it had the SERT tuner. $359 for the tuner and $295 dyno time. This might be an option for you if you keep the bike. Also try this trick though it may become tiring. Hold you legs against the fuel tank. It eliminates a lot of noise.
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »

Gary

Lets try this again,,,, Did you change out the SYN 3 Oil ?
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »

Not certain but I think this question is for Mr.D but for what it's worth, I use Amsoil in all my vehicles.
  Gary

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »

Not certain but I think this question is for Mr.D but for what it's worth, I use Amsoil in all my vehicles.
  Gary

:2vrolijk_21:
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]

Busterbrown

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »

Here is an update of the top end rattle on my CVO Fat Bob.When I recieved the PC-V fron fuel motto the map provided gave a hp of 76.5 on the dyno. After a dyno tune it is now 81.6 and makes more noise than before. I also have a decel pop at 0% throttle through all rpm ranges. The HP appears low compared to others on this site. I have tried Redline 20/50  Amsoil 20/50 and Syn 3 . No difference in top end noise. It is making me crazy. I then discovered a solution to it all. I have been wearing a filtered set of ear plugs that rids me of the engine racket and I can hear the great sound of the exhaust as well as other noises around me. Best  money I have spent so far. The dealer claims the rattle is normal. They should have put that in the brochure. " Engine rattles like hell but it is normal"

This is the most disappointing equipment experience I have ever had. That includes 8 bikes, 13 trucks, 4 atv`s and 3 boats. I now believe the two best days of my life will be the day I bought this piece of crap and the day she sells. Hope every-one is happier with theirs

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:06:07 AM »

Cruiser magazine, Dec.08 put the SE Fat bob on the dyno. It made 77.1 HP(stock) and 98.4 TQ. You are in the ball park. Best of luck what ever you decide.
  Gary

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.