Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 FLRTSE3 suspension  (Read 1753 times)

jimmy g

2009 FLRTSE3 suspension
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:45:38 PM »

I have a new 2009 FLRTSE3, and have a couple questions:
1) Are both the front and rear suspensions lowered?  If so, what was done to lower the front?
2) I understand the rear shocks are either 12" or 13".  I assume mine has the 12" shocks.  What is the difference, how much travel is lost?
3) Can you put 13" shocks on, without changing the lowered front suspension?

My bike rides much harder than my 2002 Glide.  Finally, at 165 lbs., and no passenger, what PSI should I run in the rear shocks?
Any day is a good day for a ride....ride safe!

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: 2009 FLRTSE3 suspension
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »

30 - 50 lbs, depending on two up, and luggage weight
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »

I put stock length for 96 FLHR 440 Progressive coil overs on my 09 SERG even tho I was told they would not fit. Took about 20 minutes for swap. I love the Progressive shocks and have not made any other changes to the suspension. It does sit appx one inch taller in the saddle than the stock height but I no longer notice it. I am about 5'11" tall and suffer from excessive gravitational pull and have nothing but good things to say about this arrangement. I put on my tour pak tonight preparing for the Riley Hospital ride this weekend and adjusted my shocks to handle the extra luggage I will be carrying and will not need to worry about the air ride at all with the coil overs. SERG has no air on the front either so no worries. As far as the lower front I believe it has to have been achieved by shorter springs in the front suspension. Consult your Stealer to confirm.
Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »

09 SERG- comes with 12" shocks- you probably wouldn't need more travel via the 13" shock. Where do you normally ride?- Interstate or backroads & twisties? Soft for HWY- Firm for Twisties. At 165lbs, you might try starting with a little less air like maybe 15-20psi in your shocks- then work it up from there;
2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »

Jimmy,

I have the same bike (Yellow) and 5' 11" and weigh 185 lbs. (Before dinner).

1) Are both the front and rear suspensions lowered?  If so, what was done to lower the front? 

Yes.  Front fork springs, HD part #  48787-09 (2).

2) I understand the rear shocks are either 12" or 13".  I assume mine has the 12" shocks.  What is the difference, how much travel is lost? 

Rears are 12"  HD part #54662-09. You loose one inch of travel.  Can't believe it would matter to a 165 lb rider. 

3) Can you put 13" shocks on, without changing the lowered front suspension? 

I defer to slsecvorg110 (above) on this.  Sure it can be done but it will change the way the bike sits and thus rake, etc.   He likes it but I'd bet HD would say don't do it.   

My bike rides much harder than my 2002 Glide.  Finally, at 165 lbs., and no passenger, what PSI should I run in the rear shocks?

Did your 2002 RG have 18" tires?  The air pressure is now higher and side walls stiffer.  This also makes the bike handle better.  I ride at 10 lbs pressure solo and 25 two up.  No issues.   Have sometimes forgotten to let some air out after dropping off a passenger and it will feel stiff.   Can scrape right and left floor boards if I really want to get "into" the turns. 

Hope this helps.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »

I am about 270 lbs running the 13" progressives and I do change the setting depending on passenger, extra luggage etc. I can tell you that progressive didn't tell me not to use them... they told me they would not fit. I feel certain that HD would not recomend the change either but probably because they are scared of a lawsuit more than anything. I will say that I have not had any problems and I really can't say that I feel a difference in the bike. It does sit a little higher in the saddle but only until I put my big a** on it.
Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.