Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Best Pipes  (Read 5115 times)

2up

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Best Pipes
« on: November 11, 2005, 07:23:09 AM »

I know it is a common subject. I am thinking of going with just slip ons and was wondering what would be the best choice. I basically want a good sound but not real loud, and performance is always important. I am considering the Vance & Hines Ovals. I wish they would let you try them on for 90 days before you buy them.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Best Pipes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 09:48:52 AM »

Try the Hooker tuned flow slip ons. I put a set on a friends 103, set the left side to torque and the right to Horsepower. This creates more back-pressure from the left side making the system act like a 2-1. The sound is great, not too loud when cruising but you know it when you get on it. The have different tips available as well

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=27623HKR

Good luck and be sure to post what you decide on [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 07:03:23 PM »

I put the V&H Ovals on mine, the sound isn't overly loud unless you really get into it. That's just the mufflers not the complete system. I'm thinking about the true dual header pipes but I'm still on the fence about the extra bucks for the pipes and either the SERT or the Power Commmander.

2up

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 05:11:42 AM »

Try the Hooker tuned flow slip ons. I put a set on a friends 103, set the left side to torque and the right to Horsepower. This creates more back-pressure from the left side making the system act like a 2-1. The sound is great, not too loud when cruising but you know it when you get on it. The have different tips available as well

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=27623HKR

Good luck and be sure to post what you decide on [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
I am looking pretty hard at these mufflers. I found a great deal on them at direct parts.com. Thanks for the info. ;)

GolfPro22

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:31:03 PM »

Re. PIPES......  I do not have my bike yet...waiting on delivery of a bike that was "supposed" to ship on Oct 12.... FWIW, I asked the lead mechanic at the dealership for exhaust advice. I explained that most important to me in order of priority was 1. Reliability/quality. 2. Good sound but not so loud that it interferes with stereo. 3. HP-performance. He has done several bikes for me (I have Rinehart's on my Road King)....   He did not hesitate to say that if it were his bike (with my priorities) he would add V&H.  So it is.  My Bike arrived today- and I will most likely take delivery on Saturday or Monday.    

Chris

GlideBoy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:45:45 PM »

I, too, was conflicted between Hooker and V&H.

My Harley service advisor recommended V&H; I'm waiting for them to come in...

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 09:50:02 PM »

I am looking pretty hard at these mufflers. I found a great deal on them at direct parts.com. Thanks for the info. ;)

2UP,

Be sure you buy the right Hooker pipes from Direct Parts.........there are two type's available.

***** The ones they have on sale are for 88" and 95" motor's.*****

With the 103 motor you want the one's for above 95" which they have never put on sale to date. The pipes are larger to accomodate the exhaust flow better of the larger motor's.

Good Luck!

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 09:53:46 PM »

Re. PIPES......  I do not have my bike yet...waiting on delivery of a bike that was "supposed" to ship on Oct 12.... FWIW, I asked the lead mechanic at the dealership for exhaust advice. I explained that most important to me in order of priority was 1. Reliability/quality. 2. Good sound but not so loud that it interferes with stereo. 3. HP-performance. He has done several bikes for me (I have Rinehart's on my Road King)....   He did not hesitate to say that if it were his bike (with my priorities) he would add V&H.  So it is.  My Bike arrived today- and I will most likely take delivery on Saturday or Monday.    

Chris

Chris,

I can feel your excitement on the arrival of your scooter
When you get it, sure would like to see some pics - please

jeff

GolfPro22

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 10:42:28 PM »

<<<sure would like to see some pics - please>>>

Well-  somewhat computer and Photo challenged-  but will try.... any advice/instructions for a pic-posting rookie is appreciated.  Thanks for your reply.  Yes- after several Harley's, anxiously awaiting my first S/E model.  Still own a Road King Classic. Not sure if I will keep it.

Chris

2up

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 12:08:32 AM »

I didn't notice that thanks for the input. Still kind of up in the air about which pipes. Already got the Big Sucker in. Thanks for the info!

2UP,

Be sure you buy the right Hooker pipes from Direct Parts.........there are type's available.

With the 103 motor you want the one's for above 95" which they have never put on sale to date. The pipes are larger to accomodate the exhaust flow better of the larger motor's.

Good Luck!

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 06:25:52 AM »

Chris, congradulations on your new addition. Probably about another month for me.  So, you in the golf business?  Where abouts. My handle is for my job, Golf course Superintendent. Started playing golf at 13, went to college on a golf scholarship, then switched to the maintenance side over 30 years ago. Don't meet that many Harley guys around the golf course, however we have a couple of our seniors that ride HD's and I've ridden with them a few times. Again, good luck with the new ride.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

GolfPro22

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 06:43:48 AM »

Thanks Super.   Sent you a PM.   Yes, I am in golf business. Own a course in Central GA where we TRY to grow TiftDwarf bermuda, 419 fairways, etc. How about you?  Keep in touch- and grow some grass. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Chris

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 08:12:57 AM »

Chris, I manage a 36 hole municipal golf course.  We're in our 6th year of Tiff Eagle on one course. It's been pretty good so far, but has been more time consuming and expensive that we had budgeted for. The last two courses we planted, we went back to dwarf. Suits our clientel and budget a little better. All the hybrids originated from your area, so you guys should have all the latest info and tricks of the trade, uh.  LOL  Hope we can meet someday. Tee it up in the AM and ride in the PM.

Later, Robert
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

2up

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 12:48:47 PM »

2UP,

Be sure you buy the right Hooker pipes from Direct Parts.........there are two type's available.

Good Luck!
Just got a e-mail from the guy at direct parts he says they are the same part number as  27643HKR which are for 96inch and above bikes $349.00

Thank you for the email. Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I have been out of the office a few days. That is the same muffler and they will fit your bike. Thank you for choosing Direct Parts.
Sam

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 12:55:45 PM »

Ok, so your ordering "slip-ons" only. Which are the same for all Harley motor's. I guess I miss understood what you were looking for.

The difference I was refering to is if you order the whole system (ie,true duals)........the difference is in the diameter of the header pipes.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 21 queries.