Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tuning/Adjusting progressive 440's  (Read 5551 times)

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Tuning/Adjusting progressive 440's
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »

I just installed the 440's and working on adjusting them for ride quality- but there seems to be some room for not getting the right & left properly matched. Normally spring/tube shocks have 4 or 5 settings that lock in place, which makes it fool proof, but these 440's are almost infinitely adjustable- as you can turn the tube from 1 to 10 or 15 full revolutions, and 1/4 or 1/2/ or 3/4 turns in bewteen. On the 440 there is a indicator ring on the shock to use as a reference, but its not clear defined, and seems to me not very accurate as a measuring tool.

I tried backing the shock down to its softest point; (stopping point) and then I marked the shock and counted full turns as I steadily increased the stiffness of the suspension. But where to stop? Seems like I could spend an hour or two testing the bike running up and down the road with the bags off making adjustments and tuning this thing- anyone got a better way? I havent seen any  tuning info on progressives website to direct adjustment: for example 200lb rider with passenger highway riding: use setting 3 , or 200lb solo rider agressive cornering: use setting 4 ect.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:43:10 AM by ragrep »
2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Tuning/Adjuting progressive 440's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »

On my '05 SEEG, I went back to the stock length (13") with the 440's.  I set them to the lowest position and painted the indentation on the cover to know whwere "equal" was.  I'm 220 and set them at three (3) fulls turns.  Two up I set them at seven (7) full turns.  Works fine at these setings - if I get aggressive (hard to do in FLorida) I bump them up another turn.  You can play with them forever but these may be good starting points.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

fgizzo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG Cobalt and Starlight - Vance and Hines Dresser Duals - Klock Werks WFB Mufflers - Open SE Air Cleaner - Chopped Tour Pack
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »

I am thinking about changing the shocks from stock on my 04 SEEG and was wondering if people are of the opinion that it is worth the cost to change to Progressive 440's. Is the ride noticeably better?

Keepsabeat

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:42:19 PM »

What you are adjusting is the preload or ride height, not the weight carrying capacity.  That is determined by the choice of spring.

Measure the fully extended length of the shock, eye to eye, and record that number.  Let's say you chose stock length shocks and they measure 13.0" fully extended.  Now you need to know how much total travel the shocks provide.  This can easily be determined if you have shocks without the springs installed, but rather than disassemble your shocks just call Progressive and ask them.  For the purposes of this post we will assume the shocks have 3.0" of travel.

What you want to do with the preload adjustment is to have the shock "sag" from the fully extended position by a percentage of the total travel, with the normal load on the bike (rider, any gear normally in or on the bike).  I like to use 35% as the sag value on a street bike, but you can fine tune that based on your own preferences.  What this means is that 65% of the total travel will be available to absorb a bump, and 35% will be available when the road drops out from under the wheel.  If we use my 35/65 values, then with the rider and normal gear on the bike the shock eye to eye length should now be 11.95". 

3.0" travel  X  .35  =  1.05"
13.0"  -  1.05"  =  11.95"

Measure the eye to eye distance with the normal load on the bike and turn the preload adjusters equally until you achieve the 11.95" figure on both sides.  Record the number of turns and/or mark the shocks so you can easily return to this setting in the future.  Now, do the whole thing again with the heaviest load you plan on having (passenger, luggage).  Turn the adjusters until you once again achieve the 11.95" figure, record that number of turns and/or mark the shocks, and now you have your two settings.

As you can see, this can get a little tricky if you don't have a helper to measure while you're sitting on the bike, and the measuring can be a pain regardless.  So here's a little trick I picked up from someone else on this site (sorry but I forget who posted this great tip):  Take some plastic pipe (don't steal the plumbing from the spare bathroom, get new stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and attach 90° fittings such that the distance between the two fittings is equal to the distance you are shooting for, in the example above 11.95".  While sitting on the bike, you can slip the lower fitting over the bottom shock bolt and then gauge how much to turn the adjusters until the top fitting will slide over the top shock bolt.  Much easier than trying to one hand a tape measure.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

Re: Tuning/Adjusting progressive 440's
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

Jerry-

Good point, measuring the sag as you described was the detail that I was hunting for when I posted this- excellent ! thanks for taking the time to write the details out for us  :2vrolijk_21:-
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:42:44 AM by ragrep »
2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

80" Super Stock Evo
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »

Initial test ride result: Improved but (not yet) great. I attribute "not yet great" to set up not the product- I  opted for the heavy duty springs- now I'm thinking I should have ordered the standard springs.  Im 215, my GF 130, and figured that fully loaded- the heavy duty shock would be the ticket, so I bought the heavy duty version of the 440's. 

I havent yet done the pvc pipe sag measurement set up that GRC suggested- being lazy, I just went out & rode it first to see how it was and use that as the base line. As GRC suggested, I called progressive yesterday to get the measurements on shock travel and pre-load set up.  The 12" shocks have a travel of 2.6 inches, and based on GRC's calculations would yield a pre-load sag of around .91 inches. Im not sure if this was is an best sag measurement,  but I made a reference mark on the top mounting bolt of the shock, and took a tape measure from level ground to the mark and measured the unloaded and loaded position- at the softest setting- the sag with me on the bike was only around .375 to .5 inches.

With the heavy duty springs , even at the softest setting, the ride is still somewhat stiff 1up, but better 2 up. Maybe with both bags and tour pack full the ride will be even better. I tried to hit every dip and bump in the road, and could only get them to bottom out when I drove over a speed bump( w/passenger) on my street at 10 or15mph-

Overall I would say that the ride is definitely better than the the stock air shock- the feeling is more linear- I didn't feel the bumps as abrupt jolts, I still notice them but they felt smoothed out. I have a good test road by the house full of nice twisties and incline/decline radius curves, and at 35-55mph through the turns the suspension seemed to work well- tracking was precise, no push or waggle in the deepest part of the turns.

The tech at progressive suggested that based on my the combined weight of me & passenger that I might prefer the standard springs, and offered to swap out my springs, I may take them up on it.

I think now I understand better why the 440's may not be getting more positive comments from those folks out there who tried them and didn't like them. The set up is really important. With only 20 miles on them, for me the jury is still out, as I have more testing to do before I can say for sure if they are worth the investment. It makes me wonder if riders were using the heavy duty springs when the standard springs would have been the better choice- or vice versa. Or How many installers/owners did the pre-load set up correctly  to make sure they were getting the best ride?

2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

80" Super Stock Evo
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »

I have 440's on my '95 and on my '09.
The '09 has the 115/150 springs and preloaded about 3.5 rings on the shock body. Ride is very nice with the wife and I on the bike, without luggage.
We are on a trip, loaded to the max on the bike, towing a trailer with about 20lbs tongue weight. The rear will bottom out once in awhile. My thoughts now are I shoulda got the HD springs before this trip!
I just have to slow down a bit over RR crossings and such.
The 440's on the '95 are great, have 105 springs on that bike. Night and day difference from the stock air shocks.
I know there are probably better shocks, but, you can't beat the price (Ebay)
Overall, very happy with my choice!
HOGMIKE

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »

I put the 440's heavy duty on my 09 SERG and even at the lowest setting they seem to ride rather stiff.  HD parts guy told me today that no one should go with the heavy duty unless they are in the 400 lb range (not there.....yet).  They have a lifetime warranty and the HD mechanic who installed them said just bring them back and he would exchange for the normal Progressive  440's.  I'm going out for a 3 day ride so will know by then if I will change out.  Does anyone think the Heavy Duties are the way to go.  Even with wife, total weight will be under 350.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »

There is a thread with a lot of posts regarding the Progressive 440.  Most of us with the 04 and 05 SEEG changed to the 440 (that thread may be on the SEEG section of the board).  I think I was one of the last to convert.......just didn't think it'd make that much difference.  Now I'm sold on them.

I have the Progressive 440 HD (heavy duty).  I opt for a stiffer ride cause I ride in the mountains near Sacramento here and I am an agressive rider.  For several years I rode two up and with a King Tour pack (that was usually loaded with ice chest, etc.) and that's why I went with the heavy duty.

The ride is much better over stock in regards to the jolt that you feel with stock air shocks when you hit an abrupt edge and handles much better in the twisties, also. :2vrolijk_21:  By the way, my shocks were sent back last year, due to leaking (five years old) and Progressive rebuilt them with no problems, free.  They stand behind their warranty.

There may be other shocks out there that are just as good....maybe shocks that are even better.....but I haven't experienced that and am happy with what Progressive offers.

**EDIT**  Here's the link (in the SEEG section)..........     http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1765.0
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:43:37 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:07 AM »

Thanks.  That was a great thread  you forwarded to me.  I have the 13" HD on my bike now, but seems a little to stiff.  Think I will trade out to the 13" standard.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »

I was in Loconia, and Progressive was there. I asked the question about the difference
between the standard & HD. The rep said always go with the standard, only get the HD
if both rider & passenger are over 400 lbs. I'm 200, wife 130, and I tow a trailer with a 30 lb
tongue weight. He said the standard 440's will be just right. I ordered the standard, which
came today, so I will report back after installation.
The "TAZMUN"

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:01 AM »

I was in Loconia, and Progressive was there. I asked the question about the difference
between the standard & HD. The rep said always go with the standard, only get the HD
if both rider & passenger are over 400 lbs. I'm 200, wife 130, and I tow a trailer with a 30 lb
tongue weight. He said the standard 440's will be just right. I ordered the standard, which
came today, so I will report back after installation.

I have the 440's std. I have the preload set just about max. I am towing a trailer, and with the load of me, the wife, the trailer, it will bottom out on moderate bumps. Without the trailer, it is pretty decent, but will still hit  bottom on most roads in the East (LOL), seems the roads get better farther West you go.
I called Progressive about the HD shocks, tech said I should have the 13" set rather than the 12.5" shocks I now have.
I have to admit the 13" shocks seem to work much better on my other FLH than the shorter ones I have on this FLH......I like the shocks, but, will have to look at the HD for my '09 Ultra.
HOGMIKE

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

Just had my 09 SERG springs changed from the Progressive HD to standard.  Picked the bike up from the shop yesterday and only had the chance to ride home a few miles, so can't really provide an in depth report right now.  However, the HD springs were VERY firm even on the softest setting.  The standard springs were set on the softest setting when I picked the bike up and that is how I rode it home.  On the softest setting it was a pretty good ride so I really think that by firming it up slightly, I'm going to be pleased.  After only this short ride I think I did the right thing by swapping at the springs.

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.