Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Velva Ride Rubber Mount Replacement  (Read 1369 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Velva Ride Rubber Mount Replacement
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »

As per the suggestions of some of the group here, I replaced my front rubber motor mount with the Velva Ride.

I had to do the top end and decided to do both jobs at the same time.

I was advised that the Velva Ride was a little larger and required longer bolts than the stock ones...

Here's something that came up as we were putting the bike back together that I never saw comming...

We replaced the mount before putting the heads back on, the mount raises the rear jug higher than before, and there is not enough clearance for the left side rocker bolts to slip in properly.

We had to shave the bolts down to save time from having to pull the mount out again.

If anyone has to do both in the future... do the engine stuff first!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Velva Ride Rubber Mount Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »

I haven't heard of this problem before with the Velva mount.  You have to grind a little off the velva metal mount to clear the oil cooler mounting.  Other than that, I don't know why you had the issue with the rear cylinder rocker bolts.   Anybody else?   :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:40:15 PM »

There is definitely a difference in motor height, depending on how you mount the base plate. I first put mine in with the dished-out side down and then found out it needs to go in with the dished side pointing up which allows the top urethane to be lower, lowering the front of the motor a bit. I didn't realize it made the clerance that tight. Thanks for the heads-up. :2vrolijk_21:

:indian_chief:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »

Once again reviving old threads...

After doing all three mounts with the Velva Ride stuff (as well as new cometic head gaskets, new rocker box gaskets, new SE 10mm wires and Iridium plugs) and an alignment

MAN does this thing shake

Not like, nice at idle shake, like I feel my fillings working their way out of my teeth shake

Great when I am riding, but as soon as I stop, its seems to start small and work to a crescendo...

normal?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

I tried a velva ride front mount on an 04 bagger, it was ok at idle but about 2000 rpms it would rattle my teeth I only used it for a few days.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »

Once again reviving old threads...

After doing all three mounts with the Velva Ride stuff (as well as new cometic head gaskets, new rocker box gaskets, new SE 10mm wires and Iridium plugs) and an alignment

MAN does this thing shake

Not like, nice at idle shake, like I feel my fillings working their way out of my teeth shake

Great when I am riding, but as soon as I stop, its seems to start small and work to a crescendo...

normal?

I only replaced the front mount and the stabilizer links with the Velva-Ride parts (rear mounts are still stock), and I didn't experience any worsening of the usual vibration at idle. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »

I tried a velva ride front mount on an 04 bagger, it was ok at idle but about 2000 rpms it would rattle my teeth I only used it for a few days.

Mine is the opposite...at 2k it smooths out.

At idle, I feel like I am on one of those old exercising machines that had the cloth around you and shook you while you stood there.

It DOES seem to be getting a bit better with some miles under it.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »

I only replaced the front mount and the stabilizer links with the Velva-Ride parts (rear mounts are still stock), and I didn't experience any worsening of the usual vibration at idle. 

Jerry

wonder if I did something wrong?  followed both the manual and the Velva ride instructions, everything is torqued to the specs...

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.