Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scratch on swingarm  (Read 1094 times)

marsred204

• Alan
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Inferno Orange FXSTSSE2
Scratch on swingarm
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »

Life has ended as I know it. I have an '08 inferno orange. Washed the bike today and found a scratch on the left side of the swingarm. It goes down to metal and I don't know how it happened. Has anyone had experience with touch up?

Alan
I'm like a rusted steel trap: I look dangerous, I just don't do much

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Re: Scratch on swingarm
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »

I haven't touched anything up, but I'm sure you'll find some help here.  As far as the despondency, don't let it get you down.  The only way to keep it from getting dinged up is to cover it up and keep it in the garage.  If you're riding, it's going to get nicked.  Battle scars serve as reminders of the good times you have had riding it!  Shrug 'em off, there will be more.  Hopefully they're all minor.
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

maddog110

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

apply touch up paint in the scratch, its going to take 4 or 5 coats to bring it up to level of old paint. let dry fully between coats. just keep applying until its above level of old paint. take a little laquer thinner on a rag with a credit card pulled tightly on edge. pull it over paint patch lightly, it will soften the patch and leave the top close to even. laquer thinner will activate touch up paint,but does nothing to factory paint, different material. i cant say this will make it go away, but will be very much less noticeable. it for sure looks more factory than globbing color on the scratch and leaving it that way. i touched up a rock chip on my tank this way-its hardly noticeable.

Willy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »

Check out 08FXSTSSE2 swingarm rubbing. Is your scratch located in an area where the swingarm movement could contact the frame? Check this link.

Willy

ed ammon

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »

Mine was doing the same thing in the same place and I found out that the shocks need to be adjusted to be stiffer for the amount of weight on the bike. I have the black cvo springer so touch up on the swing arm was pretty easy, cant even see it although the powdercoating on my bike has little sparkles in the black so Im going to have to do some research on that to find the correct color.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.