Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers  (Read 37782 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Hog Tunes vs. Hawg Wired Speakers
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »

Allright fellas.....what's the poop.   My bro PC needs his scoot back (and quite frankly...I'd like it the hell out of my garage........I got some other things to do to it in the mean tme,  but what's the best bang for buck),  My new lift is coming soon (I hope),  that means only 3 bikes at a time.......(I like threesomes.......YIPEE!!!!!)  anyway,  good info on the tunes,    but is this Harg-Wired stuff really that good...??????   A little help????? [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif]

Wouldn't be necessary if you were going with an aftermarket radio with a decent sized amp already built in to it.  Working with a stock radio, however, it really is "that good."  Designed for the bike environment.  Fits in the fairing.  Very nicely engineered.  Works great.  Digital amp so low power requirements and heat output (i.e., designed for the bike environment).  I looked around for awhile and found nothing comparable.  For more of a discussion see this thread:

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1131935924

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2006, 12:14:33 AM »

I am not totally sold on the digital amp technology.  It is only two channels of power and not stable into the lower impedances that would allow the two channels to run the four speakers.  They say there is not enough room to run two amp systems under the fairing. All things being equal, the four speakers should be amplified equally IMHO.  This leads one to think about a more traditional car stereo solution. I am thinking about going with JL or Zapco speakers and doing an AMP mounted right under the tourpak cover.  Now i know that having the hawg wired stuff is very nice because its digital and can be hidden in the fairing (the advantages of this not to be dismissed lightly) but, i am "considering" going the more traditional way despite the drawbacks in power, heat and space. I just think the sound will be substantially better - but what the heck do i know - i am new to the whole stereo in my scooter deal and am trying to learn

best,

freefxrs

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2006, 12:38:54 AM »

I am not totally sold on the digital amp technology.  It is only two channels of power and not stable into the lower impedances that would allow the two channels to run the four speakers.  They say there is not enough room to run two amp systems under the fairing. All things being equal, the four speakers should be amplified equally IMHO.  This leads one to think about a more traditional car stereo solution. I am thinking about going with JL or Zapco speakers and doing an AMP mounted right under the tourpak cover.  Now i know that having the hawg wired stuff is very nice because its digital and can be hidden in the fairing (the advantages of this not to be dismissed lightly) but, i am "considering" going the more traditional way despite the drawbacks in power, heat and space. I just think the sound will be substantially better - but what the heck do i know - i am new to the whole stereo in my scooter deal and am trying to learn

best,

freefxrs

Free;
Stand by if you can on the "car" audio products. Car audio products do not take into consideration heat production nor current draw. You bike's charging system can not handle a large amplifier for very long. I spent many years in the high end car audio biz and I know the ramifications of current draw on a vehicles charging system. Not to mention the heat that is produced by these amplifiers. Eventually they will cook themselves in an enclosed tour pack or saddlebag.

Today I installed a Hawg-Wired system in an 06 UC. I just amplified the front speakers and left the rears on the outputs of the HK deck. It sounded really good. The fronts were much louder than the rears but you could hear them and they did add some sound into the mix. Kind of like rear speakers in a home theater system.

There will be a true four channel setup very soon. It will all fit into the EG fairing. The new model of the speakers are about 8 weeks out.

As far as placing orders now, I would like to say you can but you can not. The final pricing for the new speakers and amp setup are not out yet. I will keep the site updated as soon as the info is available to the public.

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2006, 12:41:17 AM »

Thanks - thats good advice

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2006, 06:38:03 AM »

Did you bridge the Tourpac mounted Amp for the rear speakers, giving 80w / channel?
I am thinking of this route...

/Bill

Free;
Stand by if you can on the "car" audio products. Car audio products do not take into consideration heat production nor current draw. You bike's charging system can not handle a large amplifier for very long. I spent many years in the high end car audio biz and I know the ramifications of current draw on a vehicles charging system. Not to mention the heat that is produced by these amplifiers. Eventually they will cook themselves in an enclosed tour pack or saddlebag.

Today I installed a Hawg-Wired system in an 06 UC. I just amplified the front speakers and left the rears on the outputs of the HK deck. It sounded really good. The fronts were much louder than the rears but you could hear them and they did add some sound into the mix. Kind of like rear speakers in a home theater system.

There will be a true four channel setup very soon. It will all fit into the EG fairing. The new model of the speakers are about 8 weeks out.

As far as placing orders now, I would like to say you can but you can not. The final pricing for the new speakers and amp setup are not out yet. I will keep the site updated as soon as the info is available to the public.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »

Did you bridge the Tourpac mounted Amp for the rear speakers, giving 80w / channel?
I am thinking of this route...

/Bill

The bike I did this on was an Ultra Classic, not a SEUC so there was no rear amp. I'm not sure if the HD amp is "bridgeable". I will look into that and let you know.

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »

Hey Jim,

Have you done any of the '06 HK radio updates with the HW amps in the '04 & '05 SEEGs?  I'm saving my pennies for this update.

Yellowsedeuce

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »

i think thats the setup that TwoLane has
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »

Hey Jim,

Have you done any of the '06 HK radio updates with the HW amps in the '04 & '05 SEEGs?  I'm saving my pennies for this update.

Yellowsedeuce

Yeap, Neal remembered correctly, that's what is in mine.  It's actually a great combination too.  The amplified radio we have stock in the 04 and 05 bikes has a larger amp than does the HK radio by itself without its rear amp.  So when you go from the SEEG's 04 or 05 radio to the HK you'll notice a little less overall volume.  Not a lot, but a little.  From a stock bikes radio prior to 06 the HK would be an improvement by itself.

The HK radio from the 06 bikes when combined with the HawgWired amp kit is sweet though.  Clear audio through all the ranges I can hear.  It works great.  And there is greater audio output than you're ever going to need.  Not only can you still hear it at 100 mph, the guy on the bike behind you can too if you wish him too.

If you're really interested in superior flexibility for the audio system that all fits inside the fairing without gettng too warm or pulling threatening amounts on the charging system than sticking the 06 HK radio and XM kit and the HawgWired amp kit in your previous model years bike is an elegant solution.

Check out the FLHTCSE section of the site.  There are threads that illustrate and describe the installs of each along with quite a bit of conversation on both of the products at the time.

HD-Dude has dealt with many of the amp installs now too.  So hit him up for all the details you may be wondering about.  He can also save you a bit of money off the mftr's price too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.