Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 SERG dripping oil from air breather  (Read 1232 times)

lamb

• CVO1: 10 O/B CONVERTIBLE
09 SERG dripping oil from air breather
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:23:43 AM »

Bought my 09 SERG in late May and have 9,000 miles, noticed the last couple hundred miles oil dripping out of the air breather. What is up with that? Anyone else have this problem?

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: 09 SERG dripping oil from air breather
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »

Did you recently add / change the oil? Most have found that the problem solves itself if you don't fill the crankcase to the "full" level on the dipstick and instead run about 1/2 qt. lower.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »

ya, what screamin said
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

lamb

• CVO1: 10 O/B CONVERTIBLE
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »

the oil level is fine,   I only put about 3 1/2 quarts in when I change oil and I watch/check it often, any other suggestions?

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »

R&R the air cleaner and clean it up. Monitor the problem till your satisfied or take it to the dealer and make a complaint. Dont let them BS you.  :soapbox:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:12 AM »

the oil level is fine,   I only put about 3 1/2 quarts in when I change oil and I watch/check it often, any other suggestions?
when you drained the oil, did you ride it to bring the temp up before you pulled the plug. not doing this will leave more oil in. if you drain it and the bike is cool then 3.5 is too much
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »

Bought my 09 SERG in late May and have 9,000 miles, noticed the last couple hundred miles oil dripping out of the air breather. What is up with that? Anyone else have this problem?

HeHe!!! Like EVERYONE!!! :o ;D

Get the Kuryakyn Bluegrass Breather fittings and pipe it to the ground! Case closed!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »

when you drained the oil, did you ride it to bring the temp up before you pulled the plug. not doing this will leave more oil in. if you drain it and the bike is cool then 3.5 is too much
.... ditto here on the oil level. Put 3.5 in one change (hot motor) and quickly learned it's too much  :nixweiss:

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

Often when early BT’s sat for extended periods of time the crankcase would fill with oil.’92 and earlier BT’s had oil the oil reservoir located above the pump and relied on a check valve to prevent the gravity feed of oil from the reservoir into the crankcase. A common scenario was for the rider to check and top off the oil prior to starting the engine. In this case when the return pump purged the excess oil from the crankcase there was no room in the oil tank and the excess was pushed out the crankcase breather.

Big Twin’s built since 1993 have the oil reservoir located below the oil pump, and the gravity feed scenario is no longer an issue. It is still a good practice to warm up the engine prior to changing the oil in order to remix any particles that may have separated from the oil during the idle period.

Your machine has marks for checking the oil on the jiffy stand and when level. I prefer to check oil when level and I run it approximately ¼ below the full mark when warm. Top the reservoir off only after you have run it in order to fill the filter and normalize oil levels throughout the system. If you have oil carryover to the air cleaner with a hot oil level below the full mark you may have an issue that requires attention.

If you are running an accessory dipstick, consider checking the hot fluid level with the OE dipstick just to make sure both are reading the same.

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »

HeHe!!! Like EVERYONE!!! :o ;D

Get the Kuryakyn Bluegrass Breather fittings and pipe it to the ground! Case closed!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

Hoist?  This is on the Kury site;

Bluegrass Breather Kit, Short Leg (ea)
Fits: '93-'99 Evo Big Twin (most carbs except Mikuni HSR) '99-'09 Twin Cam with Delphi EFI (except '08-'09 Touring) & most carbs

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.