Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Far Have You Gone ?  (Read 1518 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
How Far Have You Gone ?
« on: June 29, 2009, 01:52:22 AM »

Gents:

Up front, seems the 07, 08 and I think to a lesser degree the 09 RK - 110's 0 need fixes, recalls, re-works here- there, etc. 

Just curious, especially on the 07 & 08, has anyone done any serious touring ?  If so, how many miles?   how did the 1800 hold up maintenance wise ?    Seems once the issues are out of the way, engine becomes pretty reliable from what I can gather.

Any thoughts on what to expect from long trips once she's runnig up to par ?  Peronally Im on the 2007 with of course an oil leak, but its being looked at and handled now.  Prior to that, really ran well, no excessive heat, nice power, nice sound, nice evrything ... :) 

Wondering if a long trip is risky (2K or so round trip).  Currently at 3,000 miles.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: How Far Have You Gone ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »

That's the thing about shoddy engineering - it works fine until it doesn't.  I've not had mine more than 600 miles from home and it's always gotten me back.  My neighbor has a dealer-built '07 110 with thirty thousand miles total and several multi-thousand mile trips and it has nearly left him stranded only once (managed to limp home with a bad running oil spewing bike).  I don't have the same confidence that this one will get me home as I do with my carburetted Evo, but I'd say take it on what ever trip you have planned and don't worry about it.  Take a dealer directory along to ease your mind about standing by the side of the road not knowing whom to call if you do have trouble. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »

I have a 07 SERK (110) it was one of the early ones, They came out in Sept. 06 and thats when i bought it, Now has 16,000 miles on it, only problem i have had (knock on wood) is the throttle cable broke. We go to Myrtle Beach at least one time a year, round trip appox. 1,000 miles. I have not had the Product Program 0906 done to it, so far so good, no oil leaks. I have had 3 Fuel management systems on it, V&H FuelPak (trash canned it) then the PClll for well over a year with no problems, and now have the ThunderMax with Autotune with about 1,000 miles on it and seems to be doing very well. Like someone else said get on and ride. Have had several people offer to buy my bike but at this point Harley does not have anything i would want.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »

I have done two 3000 mile trips on my '08 with no problems. Just over 13000 miles now and it is still running solid --- hope I haven't just jinxed myself  ;D
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »

I like it !    :)   thats what Im going to do.   Quite honestly, I have been a long time motorcycle rider and owner (first real Harley though) and I bought my ice black SERK with just 3,000 miles on it, tons of extras which I dont know all the names for (YET ... but this forum is great) other than the V&H True Duals with the 3 year warranty + all licenses, taxes, fees, etc for under $25K.  I bought from trusted dealer where a friend is the sales manager and we did all the background checks - 0906 recall or "campaign" done, bike was really meticulously kept, etc.  And it felt great.  no excessive heat coming up, normal sunny day about 80, great sound, nice power, smooth, etc.  But then the front part leaked oil so they're fixing it.  The motor sounded, felt really healthy though.

Needless to say you get a little concerned with all the issues but as or should they come up they will within the next 1-2 years and i'll simply be replacing as I go.  I'll carry the HD dealer directory and pretty much thats it. 

Lookin forward to a great summer ! 

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:59:32 PM »

Got my 2008 SERK March 26, 2008 rode it 24,500 miles until the oil pump locked up. HD replaced the motor and the new one seems to run better and faster, just turned 39,000 miles on it last week. Heading out July 4th for Wyoming and then over the Hood River GTG.

There are others on this site that have more miles on their 2007 bikes, some without getting an engine replaced.
 :drink:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:02:08 PM by 56FLE »

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »

just rolled over 19000 miles...headed to cali (southern route) and back to chitown (northern route) no problems...lots of bug guts... :)

had everything under the sun go wrong with it prior to last summer...seems to have found its groove...

no problems this season so far (started her up march 1st)

by the way...MINE WAS BUILD IN AUGUST 2006...i would have to say mine was one of the first guinea pigs...anyone have an earlier date???
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

daleg3556

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »

Mine is July 06 build, bought August 06.  I bought from dealer used in August 07 with 1700 miles.  Now has 7700 miles.  Had recall done over the winter.  No problems.  Friend and myself headed to Sturgis from South Carolina 1 August.  He has an 07 SEUC.  Planning 3 days each way on the road.  Need to avg 600 miles per day.  I wanted to trailer bikes, but was told "It's not the destination, it's the journey"  He will turn 60 out there and this is on his bucket list, so wish us well.  33 days till we go.

2007 SERK
2008 FXDC 105th S/N 0001/2000
2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
IBA #47074

I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect...Doug Sanders

RGL

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »

Bike just turned 20,000 miles 3 weeks ago. August 2006 build, picked up in November 2006. No problems with the engine. Recent transmission issue that I'm still waiting to hear back from Latus (See seperate thread re: 2007 FLHRSE Transmission Issue). No other problems whatsover. Did the 1500 mile Iron Butt last year. No problems. Doing a 4000 mile ride in August.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »

I took delivery of my '07 in Sept of '06 -don't know the build date tho. Everything seemed fine until about 6500 miles when I was coming home from Yellowstone and found the dreaded head gasket oil leak. Since then it has had multiple cylinder and gasket replacements for leaks at both the top and bottom of the cylinders. The first crankshaft had to be replaced after the first year at 10k miles under warranty. The second bad crank was discovered at 20k miles and just outside the 2 year w.....ty (I shoulda took it in sooner!  :( ) so I paid for that one. A 2 year w.....ty wasn't long enough for my bike. They replaced the rear cylinder on the gasket recall at 20k miles too.

Even after all those problems it never left me stranded, but I paid attention to the engine vibrations and had the crank checked every time it got to be too unbearable. Rode it on a couple of multi-thousand mile trips to Yellowstone (mentioned above) and to Milwaukee for the 105th last year. I like the bike but I hate the pain in the wallet. If I hadn't had to fix the motor on this one I would have been in the market for a "couch" (FLHTCUSE), but I'm currently outta dough!!  :'(

Darkhorse Crankworks trued, welded and balanced the existing crank, and put in a Timken conversion. I also put on Axtell cylinders and JE pistons, along with a few other goodies.  8) The Darkhorse crank really impressed me -the bike has never felt this smooth!  :bananarock: I think this is probably the first good crank that's been in the motor!  :-*
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 22 queries.