Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missing Tranny Oil  (Read 4005 times)

JustBill

Missing Tranny Oil
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »

Help I'm baffled.  Did my 5,000 mile service about a month ago.  Just checked my tranny fluid level and it appeared that there was no oil.  In fact it was below the stick.  Just put in another 20 oz.  Checked the motor oil, its ok and the primary is ok.  Checked the tranny plug, it is secure and no apparent leak. No trace of excess oil under the engine or chassis.  No oil trace on my rear tire.  No oil spots in the garage.

I know I put the oil in, because the new bottle of tranny fluid is empty.  Any ideas of what the hell happened to the tranny oil?  I only put 1,500 miles on since I did the 5,000 miles service.

This has me worried big time!  [smiley=nervous.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Missing Tranny Oil
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:51:52 AM »

Any chance maybe you didnt have oil in it, or it was just so low to begin with so you just added.

It would be reasonable if you had no oil under or around the rear of the bike.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

JustBill

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »

I had brand a new bottle of mobil one when I did the service.  I remember double checking everything after a quick shake down run, topping off the engine oil, checking for leaks at the oil filter and drain holes, etc.  So I know I put in at least 24 oz in during the service.  Can't figure out where the oil went.  No stains around any the mating gaskets from what I can observe.

This has me freaked out.  I know as you get older your memory is not as sharp as it use to be, but this is nuts.  I must be losing it!  [smiley=huh.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:52:59 PM »

Maybe you had the bike leaning or standing up straight when you checked it vs. the opposite of the way you just did it.   Just looking for ideas to prove your not losing it quite yet :)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:53:34 PM »

Are you sure it's not registering?  I use Mobil 1 in the tranny, too, and that stuff can be really hard to see on the chrome dipstick.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 01:07:20 PM »

I had brand a new bottle of mobil one when I did the service.  I remember double checking everything after a quick shake down run, topping off the engine oil, checking for leaks at the oil filter and drain holes, etc.  So I know I put in at least 24 oz in during the service.  Can't figure out where the oil went.  No stains around any the mating gaskets from what I can observe.

This has me freaked out.  I know as you get older your memory is not as sharp as it use to be, but this is nuts.  I must be losing it!  [smiley=huh.gif]

JB, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..................the intermediate stages of Altzhimers! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  But don't worry, you're not alone.......some of us are in the advanced stages.

You may remember the thread I posted about excessive oil use?  Well, checked the oil day (in my garage, the same place that I always check it) and it appeared to be clear as day that it was just about a quart low.......nothing on the stick.  Added a quart and went on my way.  A week later I took it to the shop for the 10,000 mile service and checked it again, just so I'd know how much it used in that week (about 500 miles).  It was way, way overfull!  No, nothing else happened.....thank God.  But I sucked a quart back out before I took it down for it's service. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  

When I was a kid I used to wonder if there are signs along the way that tell you if you're getting old or if you just wake up one day and you're old.  I no longer wonder if there are signs along the way.......I experience them! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:08:58 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JustBill

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »

JCZ, Thanks for the reassurance, that I am not alone.  The missing oil will probably reappear the next time I check the tranny fluid and it will then be a quart over.  I'm thinking about switching to red line or the purple stuff, so I can see the damn stuff on the stick.  Along with my failing memory, I can't see chit either.  

Do we old timers have a thread where we can post all our medical problems associate with Harley ownership?  Bad back from riding too many miles on hard tails, rough roads or too long in the saddle.  Bad hearing from loud pipes.  Bad wrists from trying to hold the throttle open all day long.  Wind and sun burn faces from being in the wind too long.  And the chit eating grin permantely plastered on your face, because desipte all the aches and pains associated with riding, being in the wind is in your soul.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 08:26:18 PM »

Do we old timers have a thread where we can post

JC started one; but then he forgot where he put it  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 08:26:18 PM »

Hey JustBill, you forgot the bad knee from kicking those 74s.......and the broken bones, etc. from the 'falls'.  But, like the ole patch says: if you ain't limping, you ain't chit.  Har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JustBill

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 08:43:02 PM »

Hey JustBill, you forgot the bad knee from kicking those 74s.......and the broken bones, etc. from the 'falls'.  But, like the ole patch says: if you ain't limping, you ain't chit.  Har!  spyder

They say that the memory is the first to go. But I think it's something down stairs that starts falling down first.  I forgot road rash and that damn bumble bee sting I got once going down the road. Hemoroids (sp?), bad bladders, failing kidneys, chit the list keeps growing.  This riding chit could actually be bad for your health.  Maybe HD needs to put a health warning label on their products.  Could be hazardous to your health.  Sorry about getting off the thread.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.