Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring the Side-mount license plate  (Read 4227 times)

Gonz

• CVO1: '08 Springer 105th
Wiring the Side-mount license plate
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »

As usual I waited until the absolute last-minute to order an accessory before leaving for a big trip.   :-\

My kuryakan side-mount plate holder will be arriving today, but I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow.  I leave tomorrow at 4pm sharp for Sturgis.   :2vrolijk_21:

Can anyone provide any advice or suggestions on where/how to wire the led light that illuminates the plate?  I'm guessing it just has to be wired so that it's on when the bike is on, just like the brake light, but unlike the brake light I don't want my plate to get brighter everytime I stop.  This is the side-mount plate with only the LED light, NOT the red brake light above it.

The bike is an '08 Springer.  And unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram or anything for it.

Thanks!
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean quite so much.  Except you get to hang out with your working friends...

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Wiring the Side-mount license plate
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »

I cut the wires off  and forgot about it its hard to hide the wire on the swingarm.............  if a cop stops you at nite his headlight will make it be seen..........

Gonz

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »

That was easy.  The plate kit came with wire splitters and connectors, and I was able to find a wiring diagram for Softails in general.  Then all I needed to do was find which wire(s) ran to the running light.  I was able to run the wire along the inside of the swingarm (a little close to the belt though) and with strategic placement of wire ties (out of sight still) you wouldn't know it's there.

Does anyone make an adhesive that would work in place of a wire tie?  I had this idea that it would be nice to be able to place a dab of something on the inside of the frame tubes where you can't see and be able to tack the wire in place that way.
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean quite so much.  Except you get to hang out with your working friends...

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »

What wires did you tap into?

Gonz

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »

I tapped into the Orange/white and a black that comes off the wiring harness leading towards the rear brake and turn signals.  This was on the "upstream" side of the wiring harness as per the instructions, although I don't think it matters from an electrical perspective.  Finding the black was a little tricky because I'm somewhat colorblind.  So whereas orange/white is quite obvious to me I had a hard time discerning between the violet, brown and black.  According to google search for a softail wiring diagram the orange/white and the blue are both continues running power.

solo2racing

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 1990 FXSTS R.I.P.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »

What did you guys do about the white LEDS that now shine down on the rear tire being as there is no lic plate bracket there now???

Kevin.....

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.