Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5  (Read 16539 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »

I picked up my 2010 SE Ultra, Red/Slate yesterday for the ride home from where I bought it (about 2+ hrs from home). I had a chance to run it through some great twisties, highways and some nice country rodes. I don't know if others are getting deals below MSRP in the current economic conditions, but I was not able to (and I negotiate for a living). I was able to get freight and handling off the purchase ($605) as a previous customer of this dealer. Here's a few of my impressions about the ride and the bike.

Background: I'm new to touring bikes. I'm coming from a relatively hot (102/108) high revving 95" 2003 Fatboy. I really wanted a new SE SG but once I saw them in person I knew the date had to be returned home. While her backside is great, her outfit was just too bland to keep my interest. I only wish the paint scheme on the SE Ultra was the one on the SESG. It would have hit my sweet spot right from the start.

So that left me taking the SE Ultra and turning it into a convertible SESG with a few more goodies and a better resale value.

First, its worth noting once I saw the 2 paint jobs in the sun there was no comparison. The metal flake in the ultra and the dark red against the slate were simply far better than the rather dull colors and schemes on the SG.

From a comfort standpoint, I have alot of work to do to set the bike up for my tastes and comfort level. First project will be to relocate the floorboards forward/out and lengthen the shifter and possibly the brake levers. The bike feels like its built for someone between 5'10" and 6' (I'm 6'4"). Nothing that can't be easily fixed but worth noting if you're tall and looking at this bike. There was absolutely no way I could ride the bike (even though I did for a 2 miles before stopping) with the rider backrest installed. I suspect this removeable backrest will find a nice shelf in the garage until a future owner finds a use for it. The seat is excellent and provides a very comfortable seating position (w/o backrest).

Next 2 projects will be making the tourpak detachable. I know that relocates the CB and AM/FM antennas so I'll be swapping out to shorties. I also realize this moves the amp under the KTP to one of my saddlebags. I would be interested in creative alternatives that others have used on the amp instead of giving up space in the saddlebag. I guess in the end I'll be getting my SESG by making the Ultra a convertible.

3rd step will be to lower the front and rear suspension. I'd be interested in approaches others have used to lower the bike. Dealer is recommending using the lowering kit for the front and swapping out the rear air shocks for the rear hand-adjustable shocks from the 2010 SESG's. What have other's experienced in lowering their Ultras?

Now to my impressions from the ride. The ride is very smooth, even when dealing with rough services. I was impressed and wonder how much of this smooth ride I'll lose by lowering the bike. Acceleration was only OK from my perspective when compared with my current bike. Very surprising given that this is "the MOCO's biggest engine ever". Its got some decent low end torque but even still, its a "sad sister" compared to the feel of the torque from my worked 95". But I plan to address the performance with engine upgrades.

Throttle response is definitely an issue. The MoCo has really damped down the electronic throttle when running in lower RPMs. Unacceptable for my riding preferences and will definitely be taken care of with the pro-RT.

Handling was truly outstanding. Surprising so. I was expected the bike to be an overwieght version of my current bike, however I was really impressed with the handling in the twisties. There's alot of potential in the frame of this bike and I look forward to exploring them. Kudos to Harley for a really outstanding feel to the tightness, frame, suspension and leaning of the bike. I'm really looking forward to more riding in the twisties once the TP is detached, the floorboads are right and the engine is setup to deliver what its really capable of (if only the EPA Big Brother wasn't breathing down the MoCo's neck).

All-in-all I am really excited about the bike and its potential. I really no nothing about its controls yet (beyond the basics) and looking forward to digging into the manual tonight. I did figure out the radio during the ride last night and it was crisp and clear at all types of speeds and easily adjusted. I like the height of the windshield although another inch higher might have been better for me. I don't know if the handlebar can be adjusted, but I hope it can be turned up slightly for a higher hand position from the current setup. I need to get used to the engine vibration while at a light as compared to my fatboy, but I knew that going in.

I really think this will be a bike I can enjoy and build on for years to come once I get it setup. While others may have mixed feelings on the flames, I have to say I really, really like them. In the 150 mile ride (before it got dark), I had 3 people roll down windows at lights to say what an outstanding bike it was. Certainly made me feel great about the purchase on its maiden ride home. Best of luck to others considering this bike.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 09:12:28 AM by Heatwave »

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »

Glad you like it. Why do you want to lower it?

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »

Congrats on your purchase and your bike.  Sounds great.  Can't wait to see some pictures.  I slimmed down my  '09 SEUC in the way you described by having the quick detach tour pack installed and added a badlander seat and the shorty antennas.  I also relocated the license plate.  I put the amp in the saddle bag which does cost you a little storage but not as much as you might imagine given that it can be installed vertically by attaching it to the front of the bag.  Good luck with your mods. 

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »

Congrats on your beautiful new ride... In a very short time (if not already) you'll be wondering why you didn't move to the Ultra long before now.  The Fat Boy is a great bike, but there is no comparison for comfort and features.  It will look amazing with a detachable TP!

As for lowering the bike.  You're on the right track with lowering both the front with the rear and I would suggest using H-D parts only.  Some only spend the money on lowering the back, but I feel the bike is more stable when level and looks better as well.  I used the low profile shocks on the back and the progressive springs on the front, both from the P&A catalogue which may be different for the 10's.

Enjoy your new ride and ride safe!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

DanM

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

Not sure about the 2010 model, but on my 2009 the backrest is adjustable. It’s located just under the seat. It’s about a 15 minute job. I too am 6’4”” and the stock adjustment was not comfortable. Since I’ve moved it back I don’t ride with out it.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:14:29 PM »

Glad you like it. Why do you want to lower it?

Ride safely,
Louis

That's a good question. I know I can't get the same riding position I currently have on my fatboy (nor do I want the exact  same position given that this is a touring bike), but right now, I really feel like I'm sitting "on the bike" instead of "down in it". I don't know if that makes sense but I prefer the feeling of being down within the CoG of the bike instead of on top of it. I probably could achieve some of the lower position by switching out the seat but it'll still be higher that a normal SG and 2" higher than the SESG.

That's my motivation for lowering. Thoughts?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »

Congrats on your purchase and your bike.  Sounds great.  Can't wait to see some pictures.  I slimmed down my  '09 SEUC in the way you described by having the quick detach tour pack installed and added a badlander seat and the shorty antennas.  I also relocated the license plate.  I put the amp in the saddle bag which does cost you a little storage but not as much as you might imagine given that it can be installed vertically by attaching it to the front of the bag.  Good luck with your mods. 

Thanks for the pic. That's the exact look I want. I'm actually looking at the custom seat from harley. The  2 up (Sidekick) custom seat from harley will lower the seating position. I can also get a red alligator flame insert which might look pretty cool.

Who's bracket did you use for relocating the license plate below the tail light? I currently have an HD layback license plate frame I was planning to use but I like your placement better. Which bag did the amp go into and did you ask to have the amp placed at the front of the bag or did the dealer decide to place it there versus along the inside wall of the bag?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »

Not sure about the 2010 model, but on my 2009 the backrest is adjustable. It’s located just under the seat. It’s about a 15 minute job. I too am 6’4”” and the stock adjustment was not comfortable. Since I’ve moved it back I don’t ride with out it.

I haven't gotten into the manual yet, but does it describe how to make this adjustment?

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »

Congratulations...enjoy the ride
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »

If you remove the seat, it will be obvious to you about moving the backrest back some.  IMO, I would not waste money on any HD seat, if you're not happy with the stock.  You might consider a Corbin Dual Tour.

IMO, lowering the bike for "looks" is not a good idea, and particularly using HD parts to do so.  If you really want it lowered, do the Traxxion Dynamics forks and Bitubo shocks...they can set the bike up to whatever height you want, but personally, I'd leave it at the stock height (but still do the Traxxion/Bitubo....look in the suspension thread for more about that).

The new frames do better than the old frames with regards to handling, but if you want the bike to REALLY handle, get rid of the stock suspension.  Night and Day difference with the above mentioned upgrades.

Enjoy your ride and open up your wallet...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »

That's a good question. I know I can't get the same riding position I currently have on my fatboy (nor do I want the exact  same position given that this is a touring bike), but right now, I really feel like I'm sitting "on the bike" instead of "down in it". I don't know if that makes sense but I prefer the feeling of being down within the CoG of the bike instead of on top of it. I probably could achieve some of the lower position by switching out the seat but it'll still be higher that a normal SG and 2" higher than the SESG.

This may be something you would want to research before going too far:
http://store.fatbaggers.com/20drseco.html
Congrats on the new ride!
Big Lew
IBA #595

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »

That's a good question. I know I can't get the same riding position I currently have on my fatboy (nor do I want the exact  same position given that this is a touring bike), but right now, I really feel like I'm sitting "on the bike" instead of "down in it". I don't know if that makes sense but I prefer the feeling of being down within the CoG of the bike instead of on top of it. I probably could achieve some of the lower position by switching out the seat but it'll still be higher that a normal SG and 2" higher than the SESG.

Well, I do have both bikes and the fact of the matter is, that the new Touring frame is sitting higher. You could lower the bike, but that is, in my mind, only a solution for someone shorter than you, to be able to firmly reach the ground when stopping or parking. You pay by decreased comfort, no matter what you do, if you lower the bike. I went for a compromise, installing 11,5" Progressive's in the back and not changing the front, and the result is fine for my size. The better function of the Progressive's makes the comparatively little loss in comfort acceptable. Having said that, I think your solution would rather be changing the seat. That can easily be tested, if your dealer is helpful.
If you do want to further improve on the bike's handling, obviously there are many alternatives to the stock shocks, besides the Progressive 440's. People on this site like Bitubos and/or Traxxion. Have your wallett on stand-by.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 02:43:02 AM »

you mentioned "outstanding handling" - when riding with others you will realize the 09 up touring models indeed take turns much faster and easier than older models. Lowering the bike, you may endanger this, with bike-geometry smallest changes affect the handling.

I'm only 5'9" and have to tip-toe sometimes now on uneven surfaces - will have to get my driveway newly paved asap  8) But you get used to sitting higher up (and backseater loves the gained oversight  ::)) Even with this the bike is significantly easier to handle compared to my last (05) Road King.

As you intend to change the tour-pack to detachable you will have to look out for a much smaller - and lower - seat anyway, that's your chance to cure a lot of your problem. You are right, the bike is dimensioned for people up to 6' so you are a bit oversized  8) - be carefull when picking your new seat, it should accomodate for that too. I would suggest you first find a new seat and ride some time in it before reconsidering further changes. Take your time, you will probably prefer a little more forward position on the bike rather than the lay-back you'r used to on the fat boy.

You got an outstanding bike - enjoy it  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:01 AM »

Excellent advice and much appreciated. As I will be putting more miles on this week and this weekend, I'll have more time in the saddle to make decisions about ride height. After reading some of the feedback on ride height, I'm now re-thinking the order of changes.

- Get more mileage in the saddle
- Make floorboard relocation and extended shifter/brake levers changes (this is a must asap from my perspective from a riding comfort perspective)
- Have tourpak made detachable (dealer has parts on order)
- Get more mileage in saddle with new floorboard positioning
- Explore various 2-up seat alternatives to lower rider height (recommendations welcome - I've got 35,000 miles on my stock Fatboy seat and a few thousand on a Badlander seat and definitely prefer the stock seat. I've done 500+ mile days in the stock seat and really like it)
- Only after getting some riding time in a lower seat will I decide about whether or not to lower the bike itself.

I've just come to really like the low riding position of my current Fatboy and felt that the Ultra was just SO much higher that lowering the ride somewhat would make the new bike somewhat more familiar to me. Changing the seat is probabrly the first step.

Time and mileage we be the deciding factor, but it will certainly be fun figuring it out either way.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 04:51:02 AM »

I went for a Corbin Classic Solo plus pillion but have another 4 weeks to wait for it, so I can't tell you if and how I like it yet  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.