Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Fat Bob crazy  (Read 14277 times)

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE (1 mile) eyecandy
    • CVO2: 10 FXDFSE
Fat Bob crazy
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »

Thinking of trading my 08 FXSTSSE for 10 FXDFSE in blk of course, can't really afford it out right w/o divorce. I like it plenty BUT sure will be tough to part w/ springer ??
Whatcha think??

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Fat Bob crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:11:42 PM »

You'd get a lot more for your money if you bought this bike from me. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=38227.0 Plus I'm a little more motivated on the price but not much.
  Gary

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »

I think you would be stepping down. The Springer is a nicer ride.....But that is my openion.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »

Thanks for input, don't know yet, Harley joint offered 20 for trade & i paid 24,500 + 1000s more 4 exaust, TTS, chrome, etc.
We'll see
Jimmy

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:29:59 AM »

Don't buy that Springer till you get this months issue of American Rider. Yes, the overall review is okay but several unflattering things are said. After you read the Springer article go to the Dyno article where there is another unflatering comment. BTW Hogpen, I defy you to find a single article in any magazine that is unflattering of the SE Fat Bob. Particularly the brakes and handling. The Springer ain't even close. But as the American Rider artical states, the Springer is basically an around town bike made for looks. I'm readfing between the lines here. Having said all that the SE Springer has killer good looks which is why I almost bought one. But after reading early reviews and having the dealer tell me a front end rebuild is needed at 20,000 miles ($800). I actually checked out a 90's parts book and compared it to the 09 SE Springer parts book and all part numbers are the same regarding that front end. Nothing improved in 15 years? That did it for me.
  Gary

2fatbob09

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »

I agree with Gary, the ride of the Springer IS NOT even in the ballpark compared to most of the Dyna family, let alone the beefed up suspension of the CVO Fat Bob.  My brother bought the 09 CVO Springer(Black/Emerald) and it is a very cool looking bike, but it IS NOT a comfortable cruiser for the long haul. It also handles like crap compared to the Fat Bob.

Most of the technicians hate the Springer front end as they need to be rebuilt on a regular basis and does not provise much support unless you are on perfect roads all the time.....BUT IT IS ONE VERY COOL BARHOPPER!

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:45:39 PM »

Thanks again guys, getting closer to 10 Fatbob all the time, waiting on my dealer to get it (the black one ya know), may be two more weeks :2vrolijk_21:

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »

Don't buy that Springer till you get this months issue of American Rider. Yes, the overall review is okay but several unflattering things are said. After you read the Springer article go to the Dyno article where there is another unflatering comment. BTW Hogpen, I defy you to find a single article in any magazine that is unflattering of the SE Fat Bob. Particularly the brakes and handling. The Springer ain't even close. But as the American Rider artical states, the Springer is basically an around town bike made for looks. I'm readfing between the lines here. Having said all that the SE Springer has killer good looks which is why I almost bought one. But after reading early reviews and having the dealer tell me a front end rebuild is needed at 20,000 miles ($800). I actually checked out a 90's parts book and compared it to the 09 SE Springer parts book and all part numbers are the same regarding that front end. Nothing improved in 15 years? That did it for me.
  Gary

Sounds like you may need to slow down on the reading and spend some time with owners and dealers who have some hands on experience with springer front ends.  The dealer is blowing smoke and selling unnecessary "rebuilds".  For those owners that do their own maintenance about 30 mins of care every 5K miles can and will keep the suspension in like new condition.  Most of the articles that I've read over the years are obviously written by "bike experts" whose knowledge of springer front ends is limited to their ability to determine a springer from others by the presence of a couple of coil springs somewhere around the headlight.  Below is a pic of a springer I sold about 10 years ago with around 25k on it.  The owner is now passing 72k with the original front end less a new mono shock replaced at 62k.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »

I did do my home work as the Springer was my first choice. My business is unrelated to motorcycles. However, two of my clients have Springers. Both have had problems. Major problems with one of them. My saleman at the dealer took me by the hand to the service department and pulled the records on a springer they had just serviced, They were at $1400 in front end repairs (12K on the bike). This dealer also showed me the parts books that showed not a single new part number in 15 years. Now I'm honest enough with myself to know this kind of stuff isn't typical, it isn't any kind of rare occurrence either. In the end, I saw enough, read enough, talked to enough people to realize I didn't want to take my chances, so to speak, with the Springer. Regardless, in the end, the Fat Bob simply trumps the Springer in every respect except in the looks department and that is actually to close to call.
  Gary

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:04 PM »

No Fatbob yet, last week of this month they say, could go to HD of north Dallas they have them all in stock. Trying to stay w/ my dealer, see how that goes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »

.................................................the Fat Bob simply trumps the Springer in every respect except in the looks department and that is actually to close to call.
  Gary

So, I guess the most important question becomes, do you want to ride the bike or just look at it?  There are plenty of folks who buy Harley's to park at bars and have people look at, and if that is what they want who am I to tell them they're idiots?  No different to me than the guy who buys a Corvette and only takes it out on the road a couple times a year when the weather is perfect, sits in the garage under a cover the rest of the year.  I guess if one has too much money it's probably better to spend it on Harley's and Corvette's rather than coke or other bad habits.

Springer's are a throwback, and they aren't going to handle as well as a more modern design, and the brakes tend to suck.  However, as BLM said, if you properly maintain that front end it will outlast most of the folks who buy one.  They aren't like a telescopic fork that can be abused and ignored for 50,000 miles, they need regular maintenance every 5k.  For those folks who just appreciate mechanical design and history, you won't find anything nearly as cool anywhere else on a brand new bike.

If it were me, I go with the Dyna.  But that doesn't keep me from wishing there was enough room (and cash) in the stable for both.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »

What you say makes good sense to me Jerry.
  Gary

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:32:55 PM »

::) ::) ::)

My two cents worth.  The Fat Bob is a great handling and fun bike.  I have had ridden a Springer and Fat Bob back to back for over two hundred miles each.

Fat Bob wins hands down.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

P.S. Could be that's why HD makes numerous bikes.  Different styles for each of us.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

draperfish

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »

I've never ridden a Springer but they're beautiful  IMO.  I can tell you my Fat Bob is the best handling bike I've owned, I absolutely love it.  I highly recommend it.  I did have an 06 Night train and I can tell you there's a world of different between the handling of a softail and a dyna.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 01:18:07 PM »

:bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

Also, have had a Softail custom for over six months and the Fat Bob wins again.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

2fatbob09

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »

buy them both!!!! the springer for looks and barhopping and the dyna fatbob for handling, comfort, and let's not forget street mean looks! :drink:

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »

Hey all you Fatbob folks, get ready, my new FXDFSE2 will be ready 09-22-09 :bananarock:.
Will post pics ASAP

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »

Hey all,
Finally have Bike & before/after pics whatcha think??
May have been some confusion, i was thinking of trading my Springer not getting one or the other. Pic # 1 Springer

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:52 PM »

Before Fatbob

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »

Before #2

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »

After #1

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »

After #2

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 06:59:54 PM »

After #3

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »

Wheel shot :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »

Looking good!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

oldfool

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »

Thats how Harley should have sent it from the factory. Looks great.

2fatbob09

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »

Nice Job......not sure it fits my eye as you have taken away the black/chrome Fang Wheels that gave it most of its street mean look (the original rotors do suck and cover too much of the Fang).......but those are beautiful wheels. Pipes look awesome as well. Try removing the bitch pad and then it will look really sick as a solo.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:07:36 PM by 2fatbob09 »

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »

Great looking bike!!!

I'm thinking of buying my wife a Fat Bob or a Fatboy, she hasn't ever ridden before and she sure as hell ain't learning on my springer,

Any regrets on getting rid of your springer?

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 10:00:29 PM »

Springer is a beautiful machine, may be one of the all time eye catching bikes. My Springer had some valve train noise above 4000 rpm, & this Dyna has a growl/torque value that i don't think a Softail can get to. Just my 2cents, thanks for asking.
Jimmy

BG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Slate w/ Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLSTN Softail Deluxe Vivid Black with a crap load of Chrome (wifes)
    • CVO3: I can only hope....
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 09:09:16 AM »

Great looking bike.....I personally didn't care to much for the fang wheels, but the ones that you have set off the bike.   :2vrolijk_21:
No trees were harmed during the posting of this topic, but some electrons were greatly disturbed.

What's that you say?!?!  Let me put on my glasses....I can't hear so good without my glasses!!

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 10:20:35 PM »

Thanks BG
Harley joint says that these were 1st stinger wheels for dyna sold ??
Don't know how they know that, I think that catalog may be my undoing. :nixweiss:
Jimmy

Badger

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »

Really love the look of your new Fatbob and I love the paintwork plus the tasteful mods.
Congrats.

BG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Slate w/ Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLSTN Softail Deluxe Vivid Black with a crap load of Chrome (wifes)
    • CVO3: I can only hope....
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 02:26:24 PM »

Thanks BG
Harley joint says that these were 1st stinger wheels for dyna sold ??
Don't know how they know that, I think that catalog may be my undoing. :nixweiss:
Jimmy

Usually Is  :2vrolijk_21:
No trees were harmed during the posting of this topic, but some electrons were greatly disturbed.

What's that you say?!?!  Let me put on my glasses....I can't hear so good without my glasses!!

Badger

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 06:53:42 AM »

I'd love to see more pics of the 2010 Fatbob or any unique upgrades made to a 2009 model.

Has anyone got a blue one yet?

Is the handlebar set-up the same as the 2009 CVO model?

also

Has anyone compared the ride of a 2009 against the 2010?
Might seem a strange question but I wondered if the engine has been 'refined' in any way.
I'm sure that I read somewhere there were a few gremlins in the 2009 model 110's.

Thanks
Phil

Zinister

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »

Do you think it's more than just the pipes? I didn't think there was that much difference in the motors other than the "B" is internally balanced.

I really like the way you've done your bikes ...big kudos on the look!!!

Tre Savi

• 2010 CVO FXDFSE2
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »

Nice Job......not sure it fits my eye as you have taken away the black/chrome Fang Wheels that gave it most of its street mean look (the original rotors do suck and cover too much of the Fang).......but those are beautiful wheels. Pipes look awesome as well. Try removing the bitch pad and then it will look really sick as a solo.

I have to agree. Wheels look great as do the pipes just maybe not for this bike. IMO which doesn't stand for anything, the visual balance is off. All the street beef is gone. Kinda looks top heavy with the "chicken leg" wheels and all the weight in the middle with the shorter pipes. Not knocking it, just no doesn't fit my eye either.

Majorrocky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 / SERK
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »

Great looking bike.....I personally didn't care to much for the fang wheels, but the ones that you have set off the bike.   :2vrolijk_21:

I have to agree... those wheels look VERY good on that bike... in my humble opinion that is...  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.