Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: CVO 110 Andrews 54 dyno test! 120 LBS Torque! 102 HP!  (Read 41791 times)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
Re: CVO 110 Andrews 54 dyno test! 120 LBS Torque! 102 HP!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »

Any chance your a tooth off? Somethings not right, and I can assure everyone its not the 54 cam.

Steve

Steve,

We lined the dots on the cams up perfectly. The bike starts perfectly and runs great. Wouldn't you know you are off a tooth? Just seems like the numbers are low to me, but it is not tuned yet. I added the Baisley lmr002 spring for a little more oil pressure. While riding it down to the bike shop to get the dyno done I noticed I did have a little more oil pressure. I also have to say the upper end has never been so quiet. I used the Screamin Eagle tapered adjustable pushrods and turned them up 2 1/2 turns per the directions. I was very carefull to get it right. My friend who has changed many cams and is my dyno tuner helped me do the job. Changing the cams the way we did it is an easy job.

So, You don't think by not doing the head gaskets that is not the problem with the numbers? How much do you think I will gain when he does the final tune? Believe me I really want these cams to work so I am open for any suggestions.

Update: After thinking about what you said I started to doubt myself so I went out and checked the sprocket marks and they are lined up.  Now I'll go put it back together.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:00:34 PM by harleyguynv »

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 05:19:32 PM »

Steve,

We lined the dots on the cams up perfectly. The bike starts perfectly and runs great. Wouldn't you know you are off a tooth? Just seems like the numbers are low to me, but it is not tuned yet. I added the Baisley lmr002 spring for a little more oil pressure. While riding it down to the bike shop to get the dyno done I noticed I did have a little more oil pressure. I also have to say the upper end has never been so quiet. I used the Screamin Eagle tapered adjustable pushrods and turned them up 2 1/2 turns per the directions. I was very carefull to get it right. My friend who has changed many cams and is my dyno tuner helped me do the job. Changing the cams the way we did it is an easy job.

So, You don't think by not doing the head gaskets that is not the problem with the numbers? How much do you think I will gain when he does the final tune? Believe me I really want these cams to work so I am open for any suggestions.

Update: After thinking about what you said I started to doubt myself so I went out and checked the sprocket marks and they are lined up.  Now I'll go put it back together.

The head gaskets are only worth a couple of HP. When I did the 54s on my 96, I gained 10 hp with stock gaskets.
To make less power than before seems almost impossible even with out retuning. It quess its could be that far out of tune. After all, you are using a Flintstone PC. Just kidding. The cam to cam chain is real easy to get off by one tooth. Only the front cylinder would be affected. Not trying to make you second quess yourself. Numbers just seem strange for a cam swap.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 06:39:45 PM »

The head gaskets are only worth a couple of HP. When I did the 54s on my 96, I gained 10 hp with stock gaskets.
To make less power than before seems almost impossible even with out retuning. It quess its could be that far out of tune. After all, you are using a Flintstone PC. Just kidding. The cam to cam chain is real easy to get off by one tooth. Only the front cylinder would be affected. Not trying to make you second quess yourself. Numbers just seem strange for a cam swap.

Steve

With the gear markings lining up like they are supposed too I should be ok, right?  I was wondering if you are off a tooth will an engine start and run good anyway? I was very surprised myself that the numbers were not better with everything you have been saying about these cams. I looked at your dyno comparisons and thought this is a no brainer. I have been thinking about a TTS. How good is the tune with the Vtune part of it without going to a tuner?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:49:41 PM by harleyguynv »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »

The head gaskets are only worth a couple of HP.
Steve

What part number is this head gasket and who makes it?

:nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »

What part number is this head gasket and who makes it?

:nixweiss:

SBB

Chip,

Cometic PN: C9725.  See attached .pdf
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:55:20 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »

Chip,

Cometic PN: C9725.  See attached .pdf

Thank You!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »

With the gear markings lining up like they are supposed too I should be ok, right?  I was wondering if you are off a tooth will an engine start and run good anyway? I was very surprised myself that the numbers were not better with everything you have been saying about these cams. I looked at your dyno comparisons and thought this is a no brainer. I have been thinking about a TTS. How good is the tune with the Vtune part of it without going to a tuner?
I have seen guys in the past who made the mistake of installing the frt gear on the rear cam and vice versa, the timing marks will still align up however the valve timing is out by 10 degrees and this will definitely lower your numbers and still give you good looking curve on the dyno sheet.
Looking at your dyno sheet does show a problem buy the roughness of the hp and tq lines...this could be ignition timing issues or a compression difference between cylinders.
I would do a compression check to see if there is a difference between the two cylinders....this will tell you if there is a cam timing problem.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 10:17:10 AM »

Thanks Doc for the input. Unless I am missing something there isn't any way to get the gears on wrong. I am not familiar with all of the different motors out there but on this one the cam gears are molded into the cams. The sprockets can only go one one way. So, unless I am not understanding something there is no way to put the gears on wrong. Maybe the timing is off that far and the tuner will fix. Doing a compression test is a good idea. I appreciate the input.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 10:33:16 AM »

There are two chains. Crank to cam, and cam to cam. Crank to cam is the one you can see when you pull the outer cover. The shorter chain is cam to cam and is hidden from view until the cam plate is removed. If the cam to cam chain is off, it will only affect the front cylinder. It will start and run, just not real strong. Andrews cams are proven performers. the 37,54,32 Any of these grinds will produce nice torque lines in a 110 well above the stock 255s.

TTS? The vtune works great for dialing in the VEs.

Steve

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »

Thanks Doc for the input. Unless I am missing something there isn't any way to get the gears on wrong. I am not familiar with all of the different motors out there but on this one the cam gears are molded into the cams. The sprockets can only go one one way. So, unless I am not understanding something there is no way to put the gears on wrong. Maybe the timing is off that far and the tuner will fix. Doing a compression test is a good idea. I appreciate the input.

Sorry I thought you had a set of gear drive cams.....duh!!!....lol
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »

Wondering how much top end is left in the 54H cams? Would head work and larger TB provide more top end or would the cam duration (238/238) become the limiting factor?
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »

What did i mis here?  Andrews lit says 216354 54H is considered a "High Lift" with spring travel of .615 and not a "Drop In"
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

solo2racing

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 1990 FXSTS R.I.P.
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 06:31:44 AM »

Hi all,

I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but I have been follwing this thread with interest being as I am thinking of swapping out my cam being as I will already be having "eddfive" tune the bike for me in the very near future.

Right now I have a bone stock '07 FXSTSSE. I am installing a set of Vance & Hines Big Radius 2+2 pipes on it and am wondering if I should drop in an "Andrews 54" while I am at it?

Any suggestions?
Pro's"
Con's?

Thanks,
Kevin.....

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »

Hi all,

I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but I have been follwing this thread with interest being as I am thinking of swapping out my cam being as I will already be having "eddfive" tune the bike for me in the very near future.

Right now I have a bone stock '07 FXSTSSE. I am installing a set of Vance & Hines Big Radius 2+2 pipes on it and am wondering if I should drop in an "Andrews 54" while I am at it?

Any suggestions?
Pro's"
Con's?

Thanks,
Kevin.....

In my opinion if you use the Andrews 54H you need to change the head gaskets to get a little higher compression to make it work. I did just a cam swap and had the bike dyno tuned and the numbers were not as good as with the 255's. I put the 255's back in.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:40:27 AM by harleyguynv »

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »

Hi all,

Any suggestions?
Pro's"
Con's?

Thanks,
Kevin.....

If your looking for more power beyond AC and exhaust, your heading in the right direction. With cams installed you will have definitely crossed the line into mandatory remapping. Having it professionally tuned with the proper tools (TTS) is the key for good performance. If you were already planning on dyno time, it makes $ence to install the cams first, get it dynoed once. There are lots of good cam choices. If you want a quiet bolt in cam with good manors, the 54 is hard to beat. JMHO.

Steve George
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:47:22 AM by Fullsac Perf »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.