Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Rider backrest on 09 FLHTCUSE4  (Read 7178 times)

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
Re: Rider backrest on 09 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 12:06:05 AM »

I have your solution.  I had the same problem with my HD CUSE backrest.

The reason only the top part of the backrest is hitting your back is a result of poor design.  With the backrest installed, it has only one pivot point so moving it pivots the top forward cuz of the one pivot point at the base.  This allows very poor or IMO no support of the back.  My solution of five years ago was a Mustang (like Mustang seats) back rest, which I took off my old RK and put it on my 09 CUSE.  It works great.  The difference is the design allows for two pivot points, at the base and the top of the rest, which when the backrest moves forward, it moves vertically supporting your back as needed, not at a slant with the top leading.

That is the good news, a very well designed unit.  My RK backrest has two buttons in the vinyl, matching my old RK seat.  It does not look cool on my  CUSE smooth seat with the grey stripe.   It works great but I have to have mine recovered.  If you buy a new one from Mustang, you can get it smooth black and you will be happy.  I cannot believe HD is still marketing that useless backrest unit, but . . .they are.

Road Hog
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »

Just got my new bike and was only able to ride it one afternoon for 35 miles and the backrest was the first big negative.  I just searched and found this thread and thank all of you for the post.  Really appreciate the pics as they let most of us visualize what we will be looking for and doing.  Much better than verbal instructions.  I will head for the shop, fire up the heater and have at the backrest issue in the next few days.
212hjet

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »

Just got my new bike and was only able to ride it one afternoon for 35 miles and the backrest was the first big negative.  I just searched and found this thread and thank all of you for the post.  Really appreciate the pics as they let most of us visualize what we will be looking for and doing.  Much better than verbal instructions.  I will head for the shop, fire up the heater and have at the backrest issue in the next few days.
212hjet

Do what Guppytrash showed on the 2nd page of this thread.  Flip flopping that bracket at the front of the brace changes the way that backrest sits completely.  I just rode 200 miles today in complete comfort.  My backrest is in great position now, and I started with the same problem that you have.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 09:09:34 PM »

The mounting arrangement for the backrest on these CVOs is a pitiful design.  It's a royal PITA to attach/detach.  My Mustang seat on my metric cruiser is simple to slide in and remove.  Why does MOCO do this dumb stuff?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »

The mounting arrangement for the backrest on these CVOs is a pitiful design.  It's a royal PITA to attach/detach.  My Mustang seat on my metric cruiser is simple to slide in and remove.  Why does MOCO do this dumb stuff?

Because they have built a name that allows them to charge premium prices for their bikes, even though you are really only buying the template for a bike.  Some assembly required.  But at least batteries are included.  It is kind of crazy, but if you buy a Honda or a Yamaha, and so on, you buy the bike and it's pretty much ready to ride for most people.  You buy a Harley, and the job of reassembling it with parts that function better and look better has just begun, even though you've already paid double or more for your Harley.  Aren't we a bunch of saps?  Despite it all, I think I'll keep mine.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »

Well, immediately that reminds me of my handlebars. Changed those 3 times on my last bike. Bike before that...4 changes to intake and rejetting carbs. Yeah, I've had some multiple changes I can think of quickly.

I have the same problem only I change bikes! Since last March (08) I have owned a 04 dynaglide, 02 heritage, a 08 heritage, 08 ultra classic, and now the 09 SEUC. I still have the 08 Heritage, gave the 02 Heritage to my best friend so I would have someone to ride with, traded the other two in.

The Toy Box

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »

And also, my backrest hits me funny too. I'll try the flipping thing tomorrow.

viczena

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »

ultrabeef

• 09 ultra

• CVO1: '09 ultra
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »

on my 07 street glide I cut that tab that goes forward off and turned the entire bracket around, you'll gain about 2". It  was still plenty srurdy
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.