Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone lowering a 2010 FLHXSE ?  (Read 8844 times)

hondo

Anyone lowering a 2010 FLHXSE ?
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:36:09 PM »

Was looking for ideas on a good way to lower my new svo 010 SG, it definetly sits a little high with those 18" front and rear wheels. Has anyone lowered thiers yet ? the way I see it in the rear it comes down to those aftermarket brackets that make the shock lay sideways some, or to buy 10.5 or 11" shocks?  Any advice would be apprieciated,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Anyone lowering a 2010 FLHXSE ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

To each his own, but I would never consider using shorter shocks than the 12 inchers that come stock.  You don't have much suspension travel as is, and shorter shocks will only make that worse.  If all you do is ride on super smooth new asphalt, no big deal.  If you ride on the kind of roads we have here in the real world, you may find that the constant beating will take all the fun out of your new ride.  You may also find that you drag a lot of parts on turns or dips in the pavement.

If this is a "feet on the ground" issue, look at a different seat before reducing suspension travel.  If it's a "gotta look cool" issue, check out an air shock system such as Legend that allows you to adjust height with a push button (drop it down when parked at the hangout, pump it back up for decent clearance and ride on the road). 

JMHO, of course.  This opinion, along with $5, will get you a cup of overpriced coffee with a fancy sounding made-up name.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »

I have to agree with Jerry. To add shocks shorter than 12"s may also have issues with the tire bottoming out inside the rear fender.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »

Isn't the SG already lowered?
FBI sells a very expensive 3" seat lowering kit.
Your 18" wheels are for cool looks and I would suspect if you swapped them with stock SG wheel/tire combo the bike would be exactly the same height.
Your wheels are 18" and the sidewalls of your tires are shorter to make the outside diameter of your tire the same as 17" wheel

To each his own, but I would never consider using shorter shocks than the 12 inchers that come stock.  You don't have much suspension travel as is, and shorter shocks will only make that worse.  If all you do is ride on super smooth new asphalt, no big deal.  If you ride on the kind of roads we have here in the real world, you may find that the constant beating will take all the fun out of your new ride.  You may also find that you drag a lot of parts on turns or dips in the pavement.

If this is a "feet on the ground" issue, look at a different seat before reducing suspension travel.  If it's a "gotta look cool" issue, check out an air shock system such as Legend that allows you to adjust height with a push button (drop it down when parked at the hangout, pump it back up for decent clearance and ride on the road). 

JMHO, of course.  This opinion, along with $5, will get you a cup of overpriced coffee with a fancy sounding made-up name.

Jerry
X2

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »

JMHO, of course.  This opinion
, along with $5, will get you a cup of overpriced coffee with a fancy sounding made-up name.

Jerry
I would second that opinion :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »

As you know the rear is already lowered. As the others mentioned, going lower in the rear is setting yourself up for problems. However, Harley does make a front end lowering kit that might help a bit overall. That combined with a different seat might do the trick.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE³
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:10:11 PM »

As you know the rear is already lowered. As the others mentioned, going lower in the rear is setting yourself up for problems. However, Harley does make a front end lowering kit that might help a bit overall. That combined with a different seat might do the trick.
Unless I am mistaken, the 2010 FLHXSE is already lowered front AND rear, just like the 2009 FLTRSE3.  I also concur with the previous posts advising against lowering it further.
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »

I would definitely check that, but the stock FLHX is lowered in the rear only.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »

From the H-D catalog:

-------------------------
Profile® Low Touring Front Lowering Kit

Place the rider's feet firmly on the ground. This kit utilizes components designed to provide a 1" decrease in ride height.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

54564-09

Fits '09-later Touring models (except FLHR, FLHRC, FLHP, FLHPE, FLTRSE3, FLHXSE and Trike models). Must only be installed on vehicles equipped with Profile® Low Touring Shocks P/N 54635-09. Can be installed on FLHX and FLTRX models with Original Equipment rear shocks.
---------------------

This would tend to indicate that the FLHXSE already has the lowered front end, and the FLHX does not

The FLHX has a 180/65 - 16 inch rear tire, and the FLHXSE has a 180/55 - 18 inch rear tire.  If you multiply the tire width by the aspect ratio, you get a good approximation of the sidewall height.  Add that to the radius of the wheel, and you come up with a difference in height due to the wheel and tire of 0.3 inches higher on the FLHXSE.  Not as big a difference as one might first assume when looking at the 16 versus 18 wheel sizes.  The spec sheets on the web site, which always must be taken with a grain of salt, indicate a ground clearance of 4.7" for the FLHX, and 5.1" for the FLHXSE, so my approximation seems to be pretty close.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 06:28:43 PM »

Good detective work!  I didn't see any mention of the lowered front end in the FLHXSE specs?  Unless the forks are different and they don't have anything yet?  What I do know is the FLHXSE seemed to sit just as high as a stocker when i sat on it?  I dunno? 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »

The way this bike handles, changing the suspension in any way is just not an option for me.

If you are vertically challenged and need your feet on the ground, you might consider a Corbin Close Reach seat. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »

Seems you've backed into his only option. That and perhaps some tall ass boots.   :bananarock:

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:06 PM »

Traxxion Dynamics can set you up with a 1" drop up front if you go with thier excellent damper rods.

Throw a Corbin on and you should be as low as you need to with out modifying the chrome  :2vrolijk_21:
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »

I say get the boots... don't touch it at all. :nixweiss:

Moodman

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:47:58 AM »

I added the Corbin/heated Touring seat. It is actually about 1"taller than the stock seat. Don't know if it's because of the extra padding and heat coils. Stock seat is only about 1"- 1 1/2" thick with only a thin layer of cheap foam. Corbin is much thicker
Moodman

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

I have the Corbin Dual Tour Heated as well , and it has an extra layer of foam over the heat coils , making it a bit taller.
The non heated versions are lower.  Personally the heated Corbin is the most comfortable seat I've ever had and I don't mind the extra height. 

I had a Gunfighter on my FXDWG3 , sat lower than stock , hard but supportive.  They make one for the '10 SG as well as a 2 up version called the Gambler  if you want low.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 07:59:27 AM »

I have already installed a custom Ostrich look lowered solo seat on my 2010 FLHXSE from a company called C&C Custom seats & am very pleased with how it looks, works, & feels. Have ridden many 300 mile days on this seat which I had on my 2009 FLHX before trading....and now have it installed on my 2010 FLHXSE. But I too am looking at dropping the rear of my FLHXSE just a bit, and are going to install a set of Progressive 440IAS 11.5" shocks on mine. These shocks have adjustable damping & do not drop the bike too far, at only half an inch shorter than stock. However they will drop it just enough to feel a bit more sure footed when sitting at a stop & make the overall stance of the bike look better too. I've used these shocks in the past on my 2004 Screamin-Eagle Electra Glide which I used to own, and have installed a couple sets of these exact shocks on friends 2006 & 2007 Streetglides as well. These shocks work great wether riding solo or two up when adjusted properly....with no bottoming out issues at all. Just food for thought!

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »

Look at chart, OD of the 130/16 vs the 130/18 is almost identical. Not sure why he thinks the 18" wheel makes it sit taller? Just because the hole is larger does not mean the outer dia is.

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 12:34:39 AM »

Howdy all, thought I'd throw my experience in..... I have a 2006 street glide and a height of 5' 6". I installed the for mentioned brackets that change shock angle and lower bike. You can buy different levels of height change, mine were 1". Riding 1up most the time they worked well unless their was a serious pothole. I recently had a tire changed and was able to see the degree the tire was rubbing on my rear fender and decided to remove them. Riding 2up I really noticed the rubbing on my fender. Better SAFE than SORRY. Thinking about Arnott air ride on my next bike as a solution to my verticle challenges.  :2vrolijk_21: Jon

hondo

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 01:07:52 AM »

Hi all, well I went ahead and purchased some 11" chrome shocks and installed them on my 01 sesg, these are not a big name shock they are on ebay for $100.00, Verdict is that they lower the bike just enough, I believe it looks much better and while riding the bike it feels like you sit farther back and kinda have a feeling like you are reaching up a little and my legs are stretched out some?? Anyway I like it!

mrwclark

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »

can you give me the name or link?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 02:55:53 PM »

Hi all, well I went ahead and purchased some 11" chrome shocks and installed them on my 01 sesg, these are not a big name shock they are on ebay for $100.00, Verdict is that they lower the bike just enough, I believe it looks much better and while riding the bike it feels like you sit farther back and kinda have a feeling like you are reaching up a little and my legs are stretched out some?? Anyway I like it!
"01 SESG"?  Do you mean a 10 SESG?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hondo

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »

Yikes! yes I mean't 10 .... but that sounds totaly wrong

hondo

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08:52 PM »

Here is the e bay   item number:  350248611571     

I basically only ride solo. and these do feel a bit stiff but I tried a set of those lowering brackets for stock shocks first and I did not care for them at all, they laid the shock sideways which made a very stiff ride, these are very easy to switch if needed and the chrome looks kinda cool even though the saddle bags cover most of them.

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »

I just ordered a set of Progressive Suspension 11.5" shocks.....Part#440-4060B for my 2010 FLHXSE today off E-Bay for $399.99 with free shipping, a very good price for these shocks. I've run these in the past on my 2004 Screamin-Eagle Electra Glide and on my 2006 FLHX Streetglide, these shocks work fantastic & lower the bike just enough to not give up any of the ride in my opinion. Should have them delivered & installed within 2 weeks....will let you all know how well they work on my 2010 FLHXSE!!!! Hoping to have them on before leaving for a Maggie Valley, NC mountain trip for 6 days towards the end of the month, that should really be a good judge of how they do in the mountains & twisties riding two up.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »

I just ordered a set of Progressive Suspension 11.5" shocks.....Part#440-4060B for my 2010 FLHXSE today off E-Bay for $399.99 with free shipping, a very good price for these shocks. I've run these in the past on my 2004 Screamin-Eagle Electra Glide and on my 2006 FLHX Streetglide, these shocks work fantastic & lower the bike just enough to not give up any of the ride in my opinion. Should have them delivered & installed within 2 weeks....will let you all know how well they work on my 2010 FLHXSE!!!! Hoping to have them on before leaving for a Maggie Valley, NC mountain trip for 6 days towards the end of the month, that should really be a good judge of how they do in the mountains & twisties riding two up.

Will you be there between 24 and 26 Sep?  You may see a few more SE's around that time  :huepfenjump3:
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cvo junkie

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »

do your stock shocks bottom out at all or make crazy knocking sounds on the rebound? mine do and i have turned the dial in all kinds of diff positions.
even on small bumps i get a crazy rebound knock sound.   there is no way i could ride someone on this bike.
does anyone else have this problem

2010StreetGlideSE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 06:42:54 AM »

Yes WFP.....will be in Maggie Valley on the 22nd thru the 27th of Sept. Staying at the Castlewood Inn right down from Ghost Town. Looking forward to seeing & meeting & riding with fellow CVO riders while there.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.