Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: AK went down...........  (Read 12567 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
AK went down...........
« on: December 05, 2005, 10:11:59 AM »

A very good friend of mine and a long time member of this board, AK (Andy) was out on a ride up to San Francisco Sat. and he went down.  He's not hurt bad......just a little sore and the bike is just cosmetic stuff.....he rode it home.

As I understand it, him and some four or five others were riding up 280 when all of a sudden the freeway was stopped.  The first couple started to lane split and made it O.K. the third guy locked up, high sided and slammed into the back of a car.......died immediatly.  24 years old and the son of the first guy, Andy's long time friend and riding buddy.  Everybody locked up and bikes were going everywhich way.  Andy was the last bike and was doing fine until one of the other bikes cut right in front of him...........down he went.

Like I said, he's doing fine, just a little sore and the bike can be repaired.  It is tough when anybody in your group goes down but it's really tough when one dies.....especially if you knew him!  I'm saying my prayers for this kid, who I don't know and that doesn't matter.

An interesting side note.  After my accident in 04 I went from a beanie helmet to a full face helmet (due to the shattered jaw).  A week or two ago, Andy was riding back from San Diego and stopped at a truck stop, where his beannie helmet got ran over.  Several times, since my accident, I tried suggesting to Andy the benefits of a full face (flip face, Nolan N-100) helmet.  Sat. was the first time he'd ever wore one.  Yes, he hit his head on the ground and said he can remember it and the helmet took the beating and saved his noggin.  Just an interesting side note.

I'd been down three times previously to my 04 accident and all three times my beanie flew off, from the impact however, I never hit my head.  Had I taken those clues as a warning, and bought the full face earlier, I may have never had a shattered jaw in my 04 accident.  JMHO and thoughts.

Andy, I'm so glad that you're O.K. and that we'll ride again! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: AK went down...........
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:15:32 AM »

man sorry to hear bout that kid that didnt make it, glad to here AK is ok
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »

My prayers go out to the family of the kid who passed. And also I'm glad AK didn't get to hurt ,even though I never met the man he is part of the brotherhood of this site and now is a brother of mine. Its things like this that make you realize how fragile life really is.. Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 10:25:05 AM »

I hate heariing stories like this, but we all need to from time to time to remind us all of what can happen out there.

I am so sorry for the tragic death of the young man.  I remember being 24 and riding my Triumph and all the close calls I had.  Could have been me back then.

I am very glad that AK will be OK (no rhyme intended).  And I know helmets are constantly debated but he's obviously gald he was wearing one, as apparently you are now, yourself.  I was wearing one from the beginning so it's just habit with me.  Got me thinking again about upgrading from my 3/4 to a full-face model.

Maybe when AK recovers some he can break down this event into a slow-motion lessons learned story for us all to benefit from.  Somewhere in there ther's bound to be a "if only..." thing that would/could have prevented or at least minimized the accident.

Again, my prayers for the death and praises for AK's survival.  

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »

Andy,
My condolences, and my prayers go out to the family. Any thing you need don't hesitate to ask. Glad your OK.

Take care

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 11:04:35 AM »

wow! what a shame for the father and son.im glad andy tried that new helmet out. the beanie helmets are ok for looking cool but the full face really provides good protection. please take a moment and say that prayer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 11:50:17 AM »

Best of wishes and recovery for everyone involved.  With luck and grace the holidays will help speed the emotional recovery for the family and the friends.  Be safe and be there for one another.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 11:59:09 AM »

Very happy to hear that AK is alright.  The news about the youngster is a real bummer, and I hope that all of our prayers would go out to his family.  This will not be a holiday season they wish to remember.

I know that this is a very emotional subject, but this incident indicates why wearing good head protection is so important.  I hate to think what may have happened to AK if he had hit his head without the helmet.  BTW - that helmet now needs to be retired and replaced.  The foam that absorbs the shock becomes compressed, and is only good for one impact.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdhiwayman

• Junior CVO Member
  • The nut between the handle bars and the saddle
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 12:01:04 PM »

Best of wishes for eveyone involved. Sincere condolences to family of the young man.  :'(
2006 SE Autum Haze
Freedom Power package
A little bling bling
2002 Road King
Stage 2: Andrews cams w/Rineharts true duals and DFO
Too much to list
Yes I am a chromeaholic

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 12:18:25 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, JCZ,
  Man, I'm sorry to hear that!  Prayers for the Family of the young Man, and speedy recovery for AK.  I wear an inferior "Brain Bucket", and have for years.  OTIS has told me several times, "Man, you better get you a Helmet!"  I've always been of the opinion, if I go down, it won't matter what type of Helmet I have on!  Stupid remark.  I will get one, immediately.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 12:39:13 PM »

I'm sorry for all involved.  Too many bikers get slain/seriously injured on our hwys.....and a lot of the time it shouldn't have happened if only.....    I'm equally glad that AK survived.  My prayers are for all of them.    spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 01:12:03 PM »

JC,
So sorry to hear about this being one of ours, I heard about it on the traffic report and cringed being bikes were involved. If AK is in the hospital for long, let us know and we 'locals' can go by and visit.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 01:16:06 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear about this accident.  Glad AK's alright, for sure, but really sorry to hear of the death of one of his riding buddies.  Condolences to his family on their tragic loss.

JC, I hear comments all the time about a full face helmet doesn't fit the Harley image.  We're not even a helmet law state here in Illinois, but I wear one just about every time I get on the bike.  Glad to see others getting past this stigma, learning from what's happened to others, and doing something that can save their life or at least keep them from some serious cosmetic surgery.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 01:33:27 PM »

Guys, Andy is O.K. just bruised up a little.  He's home.......rode his bike home.  

I'm sorry if I led to somebody to think otherwise. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  He'll probably be along here sometime today.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 01:33:55 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 01:35:49 PM »

Condolences to the young man's family.  I'm glad AK and everyone else is ok.
One of my best friends went down back in April of this year and spent 5 weeks in ICU.  We were really scared we were gonna lose him.  I've known a few guys that have been down, never to get back up.  It really makes you think.  I've only been down once, and it was about 24 years ago.  Our prayers go out to AK for a quick recovery and to the young man's family for their loss.  :'(
Later-
Rebel
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.