Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the advantage in a FXR......  (Read 6129 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
What is the advantage in a FXR......
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »

changing the "mid-controls" for "forward controls"? Is there any difference than the seating position?

Thanks

Jorge

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
Re: What is the advantage in a FXR......
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:30:28 PM »

Technically both setups should work the same. Forward gives you the typical Harley riding position, with the body just changing direction at the seat. Mid gives you are more aggressive riding position with the body bent additionally at the knees. (I know it is clumsy language, but it best describes the format). Pending on the riders height, one of the two might not work well.

Ride safely mi amigo,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:12:16 PM »

Jorge,

I think mid controls vs. forward controls mostly is personal preference based upon your size and riding style - but I also think the intentions of the bike enter into the decision of which position is preferable.  Personally - long distance riding would be more comfortable with forward controls - and shorter "bar hopper" type riding around town would favor mid controls....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »

Joy came with FC's and I took em off and put the stock mids back on. It's a more sportier seating position, allows you to handle the bike better, and PERFECT for these FXR's. The FXR frame seats you very low into it. A short person will be sitting like a clamshell with FC's, which could restrict your selection of handlebars. I'd keep the mids on. Use the highway pegs to stretch your legs out Jorge. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »

FXR's should be ridden aggressively, since they are the "handling" Harley's.  Aggressive riding and forward controls tend to be mutually exclusive (I've never seen a racing bike with forward controls, for instance).  So if you want to keep the FXR true to it's heritage forget the forward controls.  If you want a laid back cruiser, get a Softail.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »

FXR's should be ridden aggressively, since they are the "handling" Harley's.  Aggressive riding and forward controls tend to be mutually exclusive (I've never seen a racing bike with forward controls, for instance).  So if you want to keep the FXR true to it's heritage forget the forward controls.  If you want a laid back cruiser, get a Softail.

JMHO - Jerry

HeHe!!! You go with yer bad self Jerry! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: ;D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »

Thanks amigos for all your help and explanation............. :2vrolijk_21:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »

....I think mid controls vs. forward controls mostly is personal preference based upon your size and riding style - but I also think the intentions of the bike enter into the decision of which position is preferable.  Personally - long distance riding would be more comfortable with forward controls - and shorter "bar hopper" type riding around town would favor mid controls....

Actually.....I would look at this in the opposite direction on longer rides you are shifting less....as you get to speed and you simply ride, in the city you are shifting more.....

But here is the biggest reason to have mid range controls....when riding in the mountains where there are more curves and you are upshifting and downshifting a bit more often.....having yourself positioned with midrange controls allows one to be a bit more assertive when riding.....I have owned a FXDL (Dyna Low Rider) with only forward controls and ridden in the same conditions ie: mountains and so forth.....the midrange controls are much better for this type of riding......but it must also be said if one is 6'1" and trying to enjoy an FXR mid range controls will be a "cramping" position to say the least.  5'7" - 5'10" of height will lend itself very nicely to midrange controls for shifting and the forward pegs for riding on the highway for another foot position.....

So the short answer is yes there is a reason to keep the midrange controls.....and I would or at the very least do not get rid of your OEM midrange parts in case you decide to go back to them.

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:10:21 AM »

yeah, what Tim said .....

I'm a pretty aggressive rider ..... well, I think I am   :nixweiss:

I've ridden several bikes with forwards on them ..... pretty kewl ..... my preference is mid controls and keeping my feet under me, especially when riding twisties

I like to stretch out when riding the open road, but when control it of most importance forwads don't compare to mid controls and the  riding position of having your feet under you.

I have hiway pegs on the bike .... so I can, and do, stretch out on the open road, but you'll never see me with my feet up there when I'm riding aggressively in the mountains and twisties .... 1 mile long sweepers at 70mph, pretty kewl laid back ..... but no tight stuff, nope
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

TLMitchell

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 06:38:36 AM »

changing the "mid-controls" for "forward controls"? Is there any difference than the seating position?

In addition to what others offered, if you have mid controls you can always add highway pegs to have an alternate seating positions. If you have forwards you have one place only to put your feet which means the pressure points on your butt will remain unchanged. Particularly important to be able to alter positions on a long day in the sadlle IMO.

TL

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 08:02:20 AM »

Mid-controls is the only way to go for those
'emergency' riding situations that occur from time to time.....like hitting a dog, a sudden flat tire, being run off the road, etc.  You can 'stand on the pegs' and get 'up on the tank' to ride thru the emergency if the pegs are under you.  Not so with the forwards.  :( JMHO.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cat5752

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »

I agree with the above poster. When I bought my FXR it had forward controls. I bought the factory mids, but have never gotten around to changing them out. I know of another FXR owner, by internet only, that has made it so that his bike has dual controls, i.e. forward and mid. That I think would be the ideal situation, but I haven't yet figured out how he did it.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »

Very logical points.  I am not comfortable with mid controls.  The FXR4 with straight risers and that short drag bar with the mid controls was totally uncomfortable IMHO.  I used pull back risers, older style bars and forward controls, now I love the feel.  Just a great bike.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.