Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Chrome Rear Saddlebag Guards  (Read 5387 times)

JZ3

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE (Candy Concord)
Chrome Rear Saddlebag Guards
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »

As I wait patiently for my grape SESG (Dec), I have been diligently watching all the posts on what accessories/aftermarket items everybody has been purchasing for their new rides.  One item that I thought would be one of the first I would see on everybody's list are the Chrome Rear Saddlebag Guards (PN# 49282-09B)...it was going to be one of my first.  Having never owned a touring bike with bags I thought these guards would be very effective in protecting the leading edge of our bags...considering the cost/time involved to get them repaired if we ding one in the garage, or worst yet, drop the bike.  So is it a cosmetic issue which everybody is shying away from (changes the lines of the bike) or are these guards basically useless as far as the protection they afford???

JZ3

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Chrome Rear Saddlebag Guards
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »

As I wait patiently for my grape SESG (Dec), I have been diligently watching all the posts on what accessories/aftermarket items everybody has been purchasing for their new rides.  One item that I thought would be one of the first I would see on everybody's list are the Chrome Rear Saddlebag Guards (PN# 49282-09B)...it was going to be one of my first.  Having never owned a touring bike with bags I thought these guards would be very effective in protecting the leading edge of our bags...considering the cost/time involved to get them repaired if we ding one in the garage, or worst yet, drop the bike.  So is it a cosmetic issue which everybody is shying away from (changes the lines of the bike) or are these guards basically useless as far as the protection they afford???

JZ3

They work way better than nothing! My SERK came w/o them. When I put hard bags on the bike I added them. I like em and they're functional. Don't worry what others are doing. You like em, go for it! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:06:01 PM »

Here's a pic from the HD catalogue.  Some guys did add them to their '09 SERG's.  If you like the look... why not?   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Sapper6

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »

Take Point!  Be the first one in :2vrolijk_21:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »

I have those exact parts on order for my SESG! You have to mount that leather water bottle holder somewhere! I got used to that thing on my last bike.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »

Do as the others have stated and put them on.  I added them to my SEEG2 and my wife's 09 FLHX..  Look good and add some protection.   We have the angled "comfort fit" on ours.

ThomasK

• Full CVO Member
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:12:39 AM »

Good for security and the saddlebag guard bags
Have them on my 09 SERG too
Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany
ThomasK

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »

I added them to my wife's 09 Street Glide.

I don't have them on my SESG.

By the way, there's nothing grape about the SESG except the name.  It's blue......no purple in it.  Not sure what the MoCo was thinking calling it Concord.  Except that it's a wine grape and all the others are named after some form of alcohol.......Tequilla Sunrise, Rum, etc. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »

I added them to my wife's 09 Street Glide.

I don't have them on my SESG.

By the way, there's nothing grape about the SESG except the name.  It's blue......no purple in it.  Not sure what the MoCo was thinking calling it Concord.  Except that it's a wine grape and all the others are named after some form of alcohol.......Tequilla Sunrise, Rum, etc. :nixweiss:

I agree. I watch em uncrate a blue SESG Monday. We rolled her out in the sun...dang if I can find any purple. Very nice scooter. She's in Danville Ill if anyones looking for one.

JW

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 03:44:25 PM »

Has anyone be brave enough to lay one down on its side with the rear bars on and make sure that the bags don't touch?  :nixweiss:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:57:16 PM »

Has anyone be brave enough to lay one down on its side with the rear bars on and make sure that the bags don't touch?  :nixweiss:

You first :)

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 04:06:29 PM »

I have confess to turning my CUSE around on grass fully loaded for camping and I leant it to far, it went down very slowly but zero damage, it did not stop the donkey ears from popping out of my head though  ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »

They work! It wasn't with my SERK! I had a rental, and I wanted to try picking up a FD myself with that behind the back move. I layed it over in a parking lot. The bags don't touch, the guards do. Then I figured out that behind the back pick up move. That works pretty damn well! Never thought I'd get a FD up myself without pulling my back out! ::) ;)

Don't know how much it will matter in a crash. But if you drop yer bike, or it gets knocked over, the guards work fine. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »

On the ride like a pro DVD a small built woman picks up a bike, good technique. I however did have someone to give me a hand  ;)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »

I think you will find that they will not fully protect the extended bags on the SESG. I have them installed on my SERG3 and the leading edge of the bags extend a couple of inches below the guards. Still better than nothing and they are a handy grab point when walking the bike backwards on an incline or putting the bike on the center stand.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.