Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty  (Read 19776 times)

ky street glide

Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »

If I remove the Catalytic Converter from my 2010 SE Street Glide, does anyone know if it will it void my warranty?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: Catalytic Conveter Removal-Warranty
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:45:56 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it. I removed my cat from my '09 SEUC and the rear exhaust valve bent when I was on a road trip. The local harley dealer only pulled the camshaft cover to see if the cam was stock and since it was, they eneded up replacing the entire rear cylinder, piston, and head assembly under warranty.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:34 AM »

If I remove the Catalytic Converter from my 2010 SE Street Glide, does anyone know if it will it void my warranty?

Removing the catalytic converter on your Harley is no different than removing a catalytic converter on your car.  It voids the emissions warranty and it makes the vehicle illegal to operate on public roads.  As to what would happen to your regular warranty, that would depend on what parts failed.  Something like a defective ignition switch or other non-related part should still be covered.  However, some dealers and companies take a hard line and refuse to work on an illegally modified vehicle.  They do not want to be held accountable.

Now, in the real world it is highly unlikely you will have an issue.  Unlike an automobile, where anyone can stick their head under the car and see the cat(s), your's is hidden inside the head pipe.  To determine if it is still there would require someone to remove the muffler and look up the pipe.  It would also require the person working on the bike to know the cat was supposed to be there.  Based on conversations I've overheard, and posts here on the site, I don't think the typical dealership tech knows what bikes have them and what bikes don't.

Final word:  It's your bike, do what you want.  The odds of you ever getting nailed are slim to none, unless you live somewhere where they enact tailpipe emissions checks.  In that case, you would have to buy a new head pipe and put the ECM back to stock.  NBD

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:52 AM »

They are not able to meassure the missing of a cst .
The difference with ( about 0.95 CO2 ) and without cat ( maybe about 1.05 CO2 ) is far below the maximum allowed number of 4.5 percent in volume of the emission control law here in germany .
Don`t worry about that .
Warranty depending on the missing of the cat should not be interestijng for any dealer and the MoCo , and i am sure that they don`t care about because they know that the bike runs cooler and better without the cat .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »

Well, I'll be the bad guy here! Technically, it's illegal to tamper with emission control systems on ANY motor vehicle! According to HD, if you tamper with your motor at all, you void the w.....ty. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they can only deny w.....ty if your alteration caused the failure. According to Hoist!, FTW!!!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

That's true.  However, considering the 96 no California bikes and the 103 do not have cat's, I would suspect that HD would cover virtually any issue (except maybe the header itself).

I actually put a 96 nonCat header on mine.

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

That's true.  However, considering the 96 no California bikes and the 103 do not have cat's, I would suspect that HD would cover virtually any issue (except maybe the header itself).

I actually put a 96 nonCat header on mine.

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

That was true of the '09 models.  What about the 2010 models?  I think you will find that they all have catalytic converters now, unless I got some bogus info.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »

Well, I'll be the bad guy here! Technically, it's illegal to tamper with emission control systems on ANY motor vehicle! According to HD, if you tamper with your motor at all, you void the w.....ty. According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they can only deny w.....ty if your alteration caused the failure. According to Hoist!, FTW!!!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
I agree, I think you get the warranty worshipers telling how everything you do voids your warranty.  Which technically is true.  However if you change your exhaust and your radio fails or heated grips quit working take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.  If they give you any trouble burn the building down. :huepfenlol2: Bottom line is the dealer sells, installs, tunes all for profit.  They are interested in profits and selling you another bike.  Tell me again my warranty is void because you sold me a SERT and dyno tuned it so it would not run so lean and hot???  Sure I will be back to buy my next bike from you.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »

:bananarock: :apple: :carrot:

I didn't look myself but the tech's in South Texas said the 2010's have no cat for the 96 and 103.

:coolblue: :coolblue: 
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »

Tech Specs for 2010 says they are in all touring manuals.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »

:( :( :(

Your right one of my riding buddies said his brand new 2010 Ultra has the cat.  HD had to meet stricter requirements.

He said all of the 2-1-2 exhausts have the cat including the Fat Bob (non CVO)

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

:confused5: :confused5:

Former 1999 Road King

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »

:bananarock: :apple: :carrot:

I didn't look myself but the tech's in South Texas said the 2010's have no cat for the 96 and 103.

Its amazing that the techs are always the last to know about upgrades, service bulletins Etc.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »

:o :o :o

Just left my HD dealership and its true the 2010's have a new O2 sensor location and the now infamous cat. 

Just another challenge for the aftermarket guys.

And my buddy says the right side is hotter than his 08.

Former 1999 Road King

factoryhdtech

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »

Its amazing that the techs are always the last to know about upgrades, service bulletins Etc.

FYI, the Motor Company does not share ANY emissions information with dealership staff, via service bulletins, or any other resource. In fact you will not find anything about emissions control in any literature that HD provides.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »

:nixweiss:

:confused5:

:nervous:

Former 1999 Road King
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.