Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gearing change?  (Read 2718 times)

billus

Gearing change?
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »

Has anyone gone up a tooth on the front drive belt pulley? A guy at a independent harley shop told me that one tooth makes about a 800 RPM drop at highway speeds in fifth gear. Sounds like alot for one tooth. I know these SE's have the tork to pull higher gearing. I've tried a second gear start and it did it easy. I've noticed my 03 se deuce gets a little buzzy at about 80 MPH compared to a standard deuce. This could be a nice fix.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Gearing change?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »

Has anyone gone up a tooth on the front drive belt pulley? A guy at a independent harley shop told me that one tooth makes about a 800 RPM drop at highway speeds in fifth gear. Sounds like alot for one tooth. I know these SE's have the tork to pull higher gearing. I've tried a second gear start and it did it easy. I've noticed my 03 se deuce gets a little buzzy at about 80 MPH compared to a standard deuce. This could be a nice fix.

I think the guy at that indy shop needs new batteries in his calculator.  You wouldn't get that big a drop in rpm if you added the overdrive six speed gearbox, much less a one tooth change at the trans output sprocket. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

billus

Re: Gearing change?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »

Your right Jerry, I just went by my local Harley dealer and the head mechanic said you can go up one tooth without changing the belt and it will lower the fifth gear about 300 to 400 RPM. This would be enough to cure my problem without going overboard and I think it would make fourth gear more usable in the mountains. My dealer cost would be about $450.00 parts and labor. Sorry about the torque spelling, It was late.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.