Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel guage pops up/out  (Read 2034 times)

phatbob

Fuel guage pops up/out
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »

I purchased a 2009 SEFB and after riding about 2300 miles, the fuel guage started popping out.  The dealer is ordering me a second one to try before they swap out the tank.  The first one didn't work, it popped out too.  Has anyone else had any problems with this?

Thanks.
Bob

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Fuel guage pops up/out
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »

I purchased a 2009 SEFB and after riding about 2300 miles, the fuel gauge started popping out.  The dealer is ordering me a second one to try before they swap out the tank.  The first one didn't work, it popped out too.  Has anyone else had any problems with this?

Thanks.
Bob

Welcome to the CVOHarley.com.

If this is similar to the Road King type, it has dimples on the inside of the tank gauge hole that the plastic springy tabs are supposed to lock under to hold the gauge in place.

When I bought my SERK I switched out the standard gauge and gas cap to the flush mounts.  When I traded in the SERK I took out the flush mount kit and reinstalled the original gauge and gas cap.

My problem was that the original gas gauge would not stay squarely in the tank hole.  It kept wanting to pop up and I could easily just pull out the gauge.

After checking out what actually held the gauge into the hole I decided to "reinforce" the retaining tabs.  I found a short piece of cable tie, a small one, and cut a short piece and folded it over and stuck it behind the springy tab on the side that was popping up first.  This one little bit of extra force did the trick.  I had to really push in the gauge after that to get it into position.  It will never come out again on its own.

If the dealer cannot fix this, just take a look at which one of the tabs that lets go first.  You should be able to push this gauge into the hole against the spring pressure and you feel the 'snap' of the tabs going past the lugs sticking out inside the hole.  At that point is when I could just tap or twist slightly my gauge and it popped up out of the hole.  I think adding some stiffness to the tabs will do the job for you.  It took me all of about 5 minutes to come with something to add the firmness to hold the gauge in place.

Good luck and hope this helps.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

2fatbob09

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Fuel guage pops up/out
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:47 PM »

nothing is perfect boys, not even a cvo (unfortunately). we are all human and we do the best we can. you just hope the cvo's are a couple of steps beyond the rest.....otta be considering we pay for 'em.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.