Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Extreme Heat  (Read 5159 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Extreme Heat
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »

Removing the lowers is a personnel thing. I have yet to read any documentation from the MoCo that says they should be removed and I've read my manual from front to back, and I have never had mine off since owning my SEEG. Some prefer to have them off and "say" the bike is cooler, myself.. I prefer the look w/the lowers on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »

I prefer them on also, but thought I would try it with them off to see if this helped the wife, she is my riding partner, and LOVES to ride, which fro me is a great thing. I love having her long. I'll see how it goes this weekend, and then decide. Thanks for all your help. I can say when the bike was delivered Monday, and Ii took my first ride, only one word describes it WOW!!!!! have a great evening
2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
Screaming Eagle 6 speed W/21 tooth primary drive
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Panacea LED Light's front/rear
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »

I prefer them on also, but thought I would try it with them off to see if this helped the wife, she is my riding partner, and LOVES to ride, which fro me is a great thing. I love having her long. I'll see how it goes this weekend, and then decide. Thanks for all your help. I can say when the bike was delivered Monday, and Ii took my first ride, only one word describes it WOW!!!!! have a great evening
Hope it works out for the both of you. :2vrolijk_21: You too have a great evening.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

Welcome aboard Yellow! Just read this whole thread. From what I'm hearing, you just need some getting used to the bigger motor is all. 220 deg Oil Temp! You aren't getting it any cooler than that, nor do you want to. Bike's running well, has good power, doesn't pop or spit. Sounds like you're not gonna get much out of paying for another dyno tune. The only thing that would help change it is replacing the cam. But I don't see much room for improvement. How's the gas mileage?

Try removing those heat shields if her ankles are hot. That might help. You don't need them things on that bike anyway!

My suggestion is to make sure she has boots and long pants, and tell her to buck up and get used to it! Either that, or RIDE FASTER!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:50:54 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 08:52:18 PM »

Just got the bike Monday, and have not ran a ful tank out yet, what miles I have put on it, looks like it may be in the high 30's maybe 40. What is a normal oil temp on a good hot 95+degree day, Yea and I like the ride faster idea
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

Just got the bike Monday, and have not ran a ful tank out yet, what miles I have put on it, looks like it may be in the high 30's maybe 40. What is a normal oil temp on a good hot 95+degree day, Yea and I like the ride faster idea

Oil should always be maintained above 212 deg. I usually run 220-230 most of the time. On hot days while riding, I get up to 230-235. On hot days in traffic and such, I can see 240-250. Ive seen as high as 254, but that was once. Bear in mind I don't have a stock motor, so mine is setup to be cool running with the cam timing I have. A stock well running motor shouldn't exceed 250-270 on hot days. And that would make it uncomfortable to me too. It should normally only be running around 220-250. There are guys seeing close to 300 at times! That usually occurs on very hot days or in parade duty type traffic. Bear in mind, oil temp is only an indication of temp. The oil temp is not your engine temp. The hotter the oil, the hotter the motor. I think your bike is normal from what you're saying. It will be hotter than an 88". Try removing those heat shields. ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »

Thanks Hoist, I'll remove the sheilds and see what happens.
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »

not the heat shields, the lowers
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »

Thanks Hoist, I'll remove the sheilds and see what happens.

Best of luck to ya with your new bike! Enjoy it! Let us know how things go! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »

not the heat shields, the lowers

BOTH!!! ;)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »

I see a lot of times engine heat gets confused with the radiant exhaust heat. The exhaust systems on these bikes are hot, pure and simple. the newer EPA compliant bikes even more so. The routing of the pipes influences the rider comfort a lot as does air circulation (lowers)
Consider wrapping the pipes with insulating tape under the shields. Won't look bad and will help a lot with radiant heat. Not a real easy project but well worth the effort IMO.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 10:53:04 AM »

I had mine Jet Hot coated and it made quite a difference.  I also suspect that it also cooled the engine too as it limits radiant heat that would be absorbed by the engine.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »

Sure that is a good option too, or both the coating and the tape. Would make a huge improvement

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I agree jet coating and tape makes a huge difference as the exhaust temp's are very hot.  Keeping that from radiating near the engine or rider and providing a path to get out will reduce the temp significantly.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »

I heard if you wrap your pipes with that tape you should wear gloves or your hands get little fiber slivers in them might be painful. Or maybe there is different kinds that don't do that. :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 20 queries.