Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: THE PRICE OF FREEDOM [motorcycle helmet 'choice']  (Read 2611 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
THE PRICE OF FREEDOM [motorcycle helmet 'choice']
« on: March 18, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »

ABATE of Florida, Inc. has concluded an economic impact study for the first three fiscal years of Florida's amended helmet law, and the bottom line reveals that "freedom of choice" has generated over a billion dollars into the state's economy from the increase in ridership.  

From 2000 to 2003 Florida's motorcycle registrations went from 228,914 to 355,007, which represents a 55% increase.  

The motorcycle registration figures are compiled from the statistics of the Florida
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.  The monetary figures come from the license and registration bureau.

114,457 motorcycles at a low average of $10,000 each = $1,144,570,000
Sales tax on motorcycles at 6% = $68,674,200
Registration fees on motorcycles = $4,578,280
Change of Title = $3,406,094

TOTAL = $1,221,228,574

"This is a low estimate as it doesn't include accessories and other items bought,"
according to James "Doc" Reichenbach II, State President and Lobbyist for ABATE of Florida, and Chairman of the Board for the National Coalition of Motorcyclists (NCOM).

"This is over 1.2 BILLION DOLLARS in three years that was put into the economy of the State of Florida."

Over 75 MILLION DOLLARS went directly into the state treasury for the general fund.
This does not include the tourist money that has increased because of Florida now being a freedom of choice state.  In the past three years, over 1.3 billion dollars has been spent in Florida for Bike Week and Biketoberfest.

"I hope this report will help anyone who has heard the bad publicity that has come out of our amended law," said Doc.  "The motorcyclists have certainly paid their fair share into the Florida economy and it can be done in every state."
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: THE PRICE OF FREEDOM [motorcycle helmet 'choic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:17:23 PM »

Very interesting statistics there Naitram.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 04:18:02 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:22:43 PM »

you should e-mail that to him........ [smiley=idea2.gif]
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 06:50:40 PM »

He's not the one......I'm sure he'd sign a bill if we could just get it on his desk.  It's the damn legislaters
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sponserv

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 07:07:31 PM »

Let me get this straight. Because of freedom of choice there were an additional 114,000 motorcycles bought and registered in the State of Florida between 2000 and 2003? So all 114,000 of those riders said to themselves the day the law was enacted "Gee yesterday I had to wear a helmet. Today I don't.....I think I'll now go out and buy a motorcycle"

Don't get me wrong here. I am fully spupportive of choice and was one of the earliest members of ABATE.

However the claim in this post only substantiates the old adage that there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.
02 FLHRSEI Purple
88 Signature Edition Carrera
07 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
04 4 Slide Holiday Rambler Navigator
04 Black 1500 4wd Silverado
02 Grady White Gulfstream 232
Lots o' toys but no time to play

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 07:46:50 PM »

However the claim in this post only substantiates the old adage that there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

Nice observation there sponserv. I've had to deal with statistics a bit more than I wanted to over the years in my chosen profession. From general recall, I think MC sales and registrations have gone up nationwide in the past few years--not sure to what extent. So there are many variables that must be accounted for and teased out--so most use stats to support their contention or political cause. Of course, it is easily rebutted by the opposition.

I don't think the intent of helmet law was to hurt or facilitate business--it was focused on safety and accidents. So perhaps the more pertinent data of interest here might be emergency room visits for open and closed head injuries.  However, other states might see this data and decide to rid their helmet laws because they hope to increase $. All these questions are what makes statistical analysis and studies quite interesting!    

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.