Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: SERG Fairing Trim ?  (Read 6184 times)

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
Re: SERG Fairing Trim ?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 10:20:27 PM »

I took mine apart, cleaned out the inner side of the black trim with Goop remover, then removed that residue with Brake parts cleaner. Used a new tube of marine grade (fish aquarium) silicone that I cut the tip on to fit inside the trim, left a very fine bead, cleaned the edge of the fairing the same way, just used 3M wax/grease remover to remove the residue then stuck it on and it has now held very solid for 3 months. May fall off tomorrow but I no longer have black sealant squeezing out and the trim falling off all the time. Rather do it myself (neatly) than have the wash boy/low grade HD tech do it quickly for free under warranty and leave scratches, silicone sealant all over my paint (like they did on my SEEG a few years ago)

I guess it depends on the Dealer with assigning a wash boy / low grade HD tech to do warranty work. My Dealer does not operate in that manner and my normal HD tech did the job. For me, the risk of stripping plastic female screw receivers is not worth it or my time when the Motor Complany has to repair it, the reward portion of being able to say I repaired the inner fairing trim doesn't do it for me with regard to the Risk Reward scenario.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:12:47 AM »

Need more beer :nixweiss: :drink: ?

Muhuhahaha, mostly that`s the clue
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »

i got rid of the black rubber POS trim awhile ago. one day it was flapping around and thought it was going to mar the paint. I replaced it with, what else, chrome. looks great and never an issue since.
taking the fairing off is way easy, getting it back on is what gives most fits.
First thing you do, before you even go to the tool box, cover & protect your fender.
once you get it off, the fairing I'm speaking of, look at the light from the inside, there are 4 tabs that hold the trim piece, bezzel,  in place, CAREFULLY take a screw driver, flat, pry inward to release, then squeeze the green headlamp retainer/adjusters to allow them to drop out.
now when you go to re-install the fairing you get a clear view from the outside, then once installed, re assemble the lights.
this is how I change my windshield, much easier to do with fairing off.
I have to do it again this afternoon for some speaker upgrades, I hope.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »

Once you get the feel of taking the fairing off and on, it only takes a couple minutes.  When replacing my Zumo mount the other day, one side came loose on mine.  Cleaned it up with denatured alcohol and then hit it with some Super glue Gel.  This is one of FLTR's inherent problems.  Had to do it on my other FLTR.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

bearingman

• CVO1: Silver FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

I had the same problem on my old FLTR.  Bought some black rubber door edge trim at the auto parts store, cut it to length and installed it.  Never had another problem.  Better quality than the factory pos.
Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »

I had the same problem on my old FLTR.  Bought some black rubber door edge trim at the auto parts store, cut it to length and installed it.  Never had another problem.  Better quality than the factory pos.

Great idea...will keep it in mind.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

I bought the chrome trim kit from HD.  It was a two-man,  six-beer job but it looks great and (touch wood) I have had no problems with it.
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.