Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: 1100 Miles and Primary Chain Is Wiped Out  (Read 11058 times)

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
1100 Miles and Primary Chain Is Wiped Out
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »

I complained about the noise at the 1K service and I was told it was a normal sound, well it sure is if the primary is not aligned. Now I guess they will need to repair a much larger problem.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 1100 Miles and Primary Chain Is Wiped Out
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »

:cherry:
I would not be happy either.  I assume you have noted other entries here or on other forums for HD that mention the potential (side loading) of the primary chain due to the newest design of the compensator as compared the (older) style.  Might not be what caused your problem,  but it could be related. :nixweiss:

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »

Sad part is, I took it to a Independent shop to find out what the noise was.

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »

Sad part is, I took it to a Independent shop to find out what the noise was.
Ouch!

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

I complained about the noise at the 1K service and I was told it was a normal sound, well it sure is if the primary is not aligned. Now I guess they will need to repair a much larger problem.

curious what kind of a noise it makes?

thanks   Happy

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »

Is there any required maint to the primary other than changing the oil at the 1K service?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »

Is there any required maint to the primary other than changing the oil at the 1K service?

No.  There is no inspection cover any more, since H-D went to the auto tensioner, so you can't even inspect it without removing the outer primary cover.  The only maintenance is fluid changes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:41:43 PM »

I knew there was no cover, so I figured there was no maint.....just making sure I wasn't missing anything

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »

curious what kind of a noise it makes?

thanks   Happy

A very bad one, like marbles getting crushed.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »

Again,  not necessarily what your problem cause was.......but the newer primary chain tensioner is "suspect" too.

As I understand it,  it does (not) free-float with it's applied tension on the chain as ......spring loaded and other tensioners might.  It has a "ratchet" set of teeth that catches the tensioner at its tightest point.

So,  as a result, a condition could be that as the engine and all its parts warm/heat up,  the chain gets longer and the tensioner takes up "all" that slack via the ratchet teeth........then when its cold again,  that damn chain is tighter than a bow string. :nixweiss:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:05:51 AM »

I was just talked out of upgrading two older bikes to the auto  tensioner because my contact at the dealer said they are seeing these chains too tight as a result of getting on it and the chain tightens up on the slack side.
Sounds plausible, we need Myth Busters.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »

If you want an auto tensioner without the H-D version issues, go with the old original standby, Hayden M6.  No ratchet, strictly spring loaded.  Or even go with the hydraulic version if you can still find them, looks just like the Hayden but with a self contained hydraulic pump that uses the primary oil to take up the slack like a valve lifter.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:39:52 AM »

The HD auto tensioner has a slight bit of give and take. As the chain get loose (to much take) the tensioner will "ratchet" up to the next tooth to take up slack. The problem is that it can "ratchet" up too much causing the chain to be too tight. Too tight of a chain can cause bearing failure in the clutch hub and main shaft bearing and difficulty shifting.

Loading and unloading the drive train in the manner above is NOT a good idea unless you want to shift your flywheels.

The 07+ primaries unfortunaltly cannot use the Hayden M6 or the still availible HB125 hydro tensioner as they do not have the mounting bosses inside the inner primary for them.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 01:14:23 AM »

When you hear of a fix for this let us know. The new SE comp assembly made the bike seem about 5mph higher geared. I'm confused but thinking maybe the 49t gear behind the clutch but kind of spendy from EVO Ind.

tattoo

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 06:41:07 AM »

I hear complaints all the time about primary noise on the 07 & up models. In my opinion the chain does run to tight. :oops:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:43:53 AM by tattoo »

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »

The info I recieved worked and it's nothing that would not happen it if you had to hit the brakes hard without pulling in the clutch. My intent is not to give bad info but I will remove that post and keep it to myself. Sorry.    
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:36:44 AM by Fireguy »

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »

:P
HD Dude...."The 07+ primaries unfortunaltly cannot use the Hayden M6 or the still availible HB125 hydro tensioner as they do not have the mounting bosses inside the inner primary for them."

I think they now have a later version of the HB125 as I just received one of them for my 09 SE Ultra.  Have not installed it yet.  I'll try to add the website in a follow-up post here.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »

OK,  Here is their website...........check it out.

http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »

Thanks, I did not see that last time I looked (I have to admit its been a while :oops:)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »

Nice.  I may go that route for both of mine.  Looks just like the HD unit except for the "wedge"

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »

how many people have contacted  HS on this????/
i know my 2010 Ltd is pretty scarey, with  the slap of the primary chain very adible at dead stop take offs..  my 07 i think i heard it make a slight noise, at best a handful of times it 20000 miles. and i run that thing pretty good with the 113 motor i  did up for it.  there is ahuge differance betwee the 07 and the 2010 bike in the loudness and frequency of the noise.  needless to say  i guess i better call HD ccustomer service to see if they are having issues or if they would care to admit it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »

Thanks, I did not see that last time I looked (I have to admit its been a while :oops:)

Jim, if you get ahold of one, let us know what you think of that new hydraulic wedge unit. it sounds promising. Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »

Jim, if you get ahold of one, let us know what you think of that new hydraulic wedge unit. it sounds promising. Thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

anyone called HD customer service and asked them if indeed there is a problem.. That they will admit?? its obvious there is something going on. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »

anyone called HD customer service and asked them if indeed there is a problem.. That they will admit?? its obvious there is something going on. 

HeHe!!! With a few hundred thou out there with these things on em, you really think they'll ever own up to any problems with it? ::) ::) ::)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »

HeHe!!! With a few hundred thou out there with these things on em, you really think they'll ever own up to any problems with it? ::) ::) ::)

enojugh people raise hell i guarentee they wil pay attention. especially if a chain locks up or bearing seizes,  and puts someone down. 

Wanna ride

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »

enojugh people raise hell i guarentee they wil pay attention. especially if a chain locks up or bearing seizes,  and puts someone down. 
Down side of that is, it's a reactive response instead of a proactive one.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »

Down side of that is, it's a reactive response instead of a proactive one.

well if the response is or reporting of an issue that  warrants  a serious discussion with Harley because of a lot of racket, that many would feel is not  normal for those of us that have been riding for 50 years, like 15 or 20 harleys later they may listen.   if ya don't say anything you a fool.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »

Ford didn't want to admit that one of their cars caught fire in a rear end collision ......................... just saying, not comparing  ???
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »

Ford didn't want to admit that one of their cars caught fire in a rear end collision ......................... just saying, not comparing  ???
[/quote

well this  is not about Fords!!  thats how   HD finds out they actuallly have an uthat needs attention.  They are more than likely aware of it for some time  now andn may be tryinjg to come up  with a fix..
the primary is serious businness if one would happen to cause a wheel to lock up  or what ever else can happen.. plus they may want you to buy a new harley one day also.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »

I think somebody drank the Kool-aid!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »

I think somebody drank the Kool-aid!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

i think  somebodhy lost the abilty to think

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 05:41:50 PM »

i think  somebodhy lost the abilty to think

Ouch! I guess the comedy routine's over now! :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »

Ouch! I guess the comedy routine's over now! :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

hey do what ever makes ya happy.. 
get some more  COOL AID and guzzle it down

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »

hey do what ever makes ya happy.. 
get some more  COOL AID and guzzle it down

HeHe!!! I guess the comedy routine's not over! You're a funny guy! :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

HeHe!!! I guess the comedy routine's not over! You're a funny guy! :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

Dammit, I can't tell.  Did you piss someone off or not :huepfenlol2: ?

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »

if ya smoke the right  stuff you wil laff at anything,  even at a funeral!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »

if ya smoke the right  stuff you wil laff at anything,  even at a funeral!!

Hmmm.....you don't seem very happy for a guy with a name like "happy"man, ! Maybe bitterman is a better screen name for ya! :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Over and out!

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 06:22:53 PM »

Hmmm.....you don't seem very happy for a guy with a name like "happy"man, ! Maybe bitterman is a better screen name for ya! :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Over and out!

haaaaa i am havin fun here    aren't you?????????????  think you may be confused in your old age??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »

bitterman

Oh great, you just had to go and call him names.  Now I'm stuck with an old Roger Miller tune in my head and it's all your freaking fault!

God didn't make little green apples...   

bah bah bah bah  :huepfenlol2:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 06:48:51 PM »

Oh great, you just had to go and call him names.  Now I'm stuck with an old Roger Miller tune in my head and it's all your freaking fault!

God didn't make little green apples...  

bah bah bah bah  :huepfenlol2:

Then who did? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ::) :D :D :D ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »

Neal!!   :2vrolijk_21:  :huepfenlol2:  :drink:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 06:51:56 PM »

Neal!!  :2vrolijk_21:  :huepfenlol2:  :drink:

SPEEEEEEW!!!! BWAAAHAAAAHAAAA!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »

Donald Duck!!

CVOjunkie

• cvojunkie
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »

This is kind of funny a few years ago I put in the auto tensioner in my seeg and after harley put in two transmissions and my warranty was out I went to baker and told them what I had done to the bike and the problem and they told me to throw the auto tensioner away because I ride hard the tensioner would ratchet tighter and put a side load on the motor and tranny all the time when they told me this i looked at both old transmissions and found the same problem as what they said I would find the output shaft is in two pieces and has a needle bearing there it chewed this bearing up and then resulted in other failures so my advice is if possible throw that auto tensioner as far as possible. since then baker tranny installed 35000 miles and not a problem and of coarse the old harley tensioner .

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »

This is kind of funny a few years ago I put in the auto tensioner in my seeg and after harley put in two transmissions and my warranty was out I went to baker and told them what I had done to the bike and the problem and they told me to throw the auto tensioner away because I ride hard the tensioner would ratchet tighter and put a side load on the motor and tranny all the time when they told me this i looked at both old transmissions and found the same problem as what they said I would find the output shaft is in two pieces and has a needle bearing there it chewed this bearing up and then resulted in other failures so my advice is if possible throw that auto tensioner as far as possible. since then baker tranny installed 35000 miles and not a problem and of coarse the old harley tensioner .
Does this apply to 07 or newer? I didn't think you could use the old style in 07 or newer

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »

:nixweiss:
"This is kind of funny a few years ago I put in the auto tensioner in my seeg and after harley put in two transmissions and my warranty was out I went to baker and told them what I had done to the bike and the problem and they told me to throw the auto tensioner away because I ride hard the tensioner would ratchet tighter and put a side load on the motor and tranny"

::)  By saying the (tensioner would ratchet tighter),  it suggests to me that he means the (Harley) tensioner versus their original one.  Because,  I don't thing the M6 nor the hydraulic ones have any "ratcheting" going on as they function. :P
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.