Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Low speed wobble ??  (Read 5996 times)

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
Low speed wobble ??
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »

Has anyone had any issues with low speed wobble. If I let go of the bars at about 40mph they will slowly wobble themselves out of control. Is the tire out of balance ? If its cupped can you feel it on the tire ? Im sure the neck has the proper tension.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

No problems at higher speeds. smooth and straight
a.k.a  Dent Dude

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
Re: Low speed wobble ??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »

You steering head is loose. Have the dealer tighten the triple clamp.
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »

Hey Rick,

If the tire is cupped you can feel it by running your hand on the tire.  It will feel like uneven wear and have a sharp feel when moving your hand over the tire.  My wobble in MV was due 100% to my rear tire cupping.  

Howie and Jeff have the same Metzler tires as me.  I had 42 in front and so did Howie and Jeff.  All of our front tires were fine.  No signs of cupping.  I previously had 42 lbs in my rear tire.  Jeff had 45 and Howie had 50.  My rear tire was cupping bad.  Jeff’s tire was cupping but not as bad as mine and Howie’s tire was not cupping.  Howie spent many hours online asking everyone and the consensus was these tires need higher pressure than most other tires.  

Before you ride run your hand along the tire and see if the tire wear is even or not.  If it starts to cup you will feel ridges as you run your hand along the tire.  If that happens then increase the tire pressure to the maximum tire pressure notated on the tire or at least close to the max.

From now on I will always increase the pressure if I feel tire cupping and keep the pressure at or under the max as stated on the tire.  I hope it is tire cupping and it gets resolved by tire pressure.

Rich
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:27:35 PM by Rich07 »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »

Hey Rich, were you experiencing a low or high speed wobble?  Could the cupping (low pressure) tire cause both?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

Has anyone had any issues with low speed wobble. If I let go of the bars at about 40mph they will slowly wobble themselves out of control. Is the tire out of balance ? If its cupped can you feel it on the tire ? Im sure the neck has the proper tension.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

No problems at higher speeds. smooth and straight
My SERG had this same problem .... neck needed adjustment FWIW

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »

the back tire is cupped...I never noticed it before seems like i checked it when everybody was posting about it and it was fine. The tire pressure is ok but I just added a tourpack. I guess I check at the dealer and see when I can get a new one. Not a bad deal really, free tire at 8k miles !!! :2vrolijk_21:

when its there Ill have them check the neck also.  Thanks guys  :orange:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »

I encountered a low speed (35-40 mph) death wobble after I put the tour pak on.  Increased the rear shock pressure and that appeared to shift the suspension weight and balance, curing the potential need to change my shorts.

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:36 PM »

Do not follow the HD tire pressure recommedation.  Increase the rear tire pressure to the max tire pressure noted on the tire or at least close to that amount. 

the back tire is cupped...I never noticed it before seems like i checked it when everybody was posting about it and it was fine. The tire pressure is ok but I just added a tourpack. I guess I check at the dealer and see when I can get a new one. Not a bad deal really, free tire at 8k miles !!! :2vrolijk_21:

when its there Ill have them check the neck also.  Thanks guys  :orange:

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »

I was having a hi-speed wobble on the straight aways and a low speed wobble in the turns.  Both were the result of low tire pressure.  This concerns me becuase the tire pressure was what HD recommended.  So I increased it to the max tire pressure as stated on the tire and the wobble diminished then disappeared as the tire wore in more evenly.

Hey Rich, were you experiencing a low or high speed wobble?  Could the cupping (low pressure) tire cause both?  spyder

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »

But do check the head steering torque as well , there is a new torque number from harley for the 09ers
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »

I was having a hi-speed wobble on the straight aways and a low speed wobble in the turns.  Both were the result of low tire pressure.  This concerns me becuase the tire pressure was what HD recommended.  So I increased it to the max tire pressure as stated on the tire and the wobble diminished then disappeared as the tire wore in more evenly.

Not sure if your 'low speed' is the same as most peoples.  Others are probably referring to coming off a ramp at 50 to 60 is my guess......I might be wrong.  Whens the last time you took a turn at that speed?  :confused5: :nixweiss: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »

Not sure if your 'low speed' is the same as most peoples.  Others are probably referring to coming off a ramp at 50 to 60 is my guess......I might be wrong.  Whens the last time you took a turn at that speed?  :confused5: :nixweiss: har!  spyder

I only slow down that much when I pull out of my driveway !!

I hardly notice it unless I let go of the bars. Its only around 45-50 starts out slow and gradually increases. i havent had much of a chance to ride or a chance to go to HD (rain and kids) I hate that when weather and family cuts into riding time !   :P
a.k.a  Dent Dude

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »

My SERG had this same problem .... neck needed adjustment FWIW

Was the neck adjustment covered by the warranty?? I had the backtire replaced, Cupping was the culprit. I also had the wobble around 40 mph. Asked them to check the neck bearings. Service guy mentioned to me that it might not be covered under the warranty. WTF!!!!! I said. Also got a new starter. Granite paint was flaking off. So I asked them to replace it with the crome high tourque starter............................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »

Picture please?  Never seen an O/B with a chrome starter.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »

I should have it back by Tuesday...................
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.