Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 256442 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »

Chappy, I'm pulling hard for ya man!  You're truly a inspiration to me and I'm sure all the others that read your accounts.  You write with such dry wit and acute truthfulness that I'm just in awe of how strongly you're holding up thru all this.  Keep on keepin' on!  And we'll be sending the positive vibes your way on a regular basis.  :) :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »

great news..... keep up the fight and the postive attitude... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »

Sam,
Thanks for the update. Get plenty of rest and don't overdo it, recovery takes time. Every morning as I sit on my porch
drinking my coffee, I think of you and wish I had a magic wand to wave and your recovery would be complete. Well I do have that wand and it's called prayer, it just takes a little while for the results to be seen and felt.
Praying for you daily, and I as well as everyone else here look forward to your updates and the day we get to ride together.
God Bless!
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »

part 1  (sorry, a bit to long for one post, part 2 follows)

Hello Family and Friends at CVO
Thanks again for all your uplifting words, thoughs and prayers

Finally, yesterday, I had my radiation appointment. It was two days before the 4 week aniversary of my surgery.

Even though it turned out to be what has become the norm for Sue and I, we went fully believing that the next step into my battle with thymic carcinoma cancer was finally going to be engaged yesterday. Though it has been a very odd chain of events that has lead me down this rough and bummpy road this so far. I tried hard to maintain a positive outlook and to be rested for this part of the fight and onward. However, the Radiation Doc said in a nut shell. Because my cancer is stage 4a,  very aggressive, and hard to kill, they won't give me radiation because the remaining cancer needs  (g-ry 60) radiation 5 days a week for 8 weeks to maybe kill my cancer, but the tumor and the marginal area of cancer and healthy parts and pieces that remain after the bulk of the tumor was removed surgically must be zapped as well to even have the hope that all the cancer would be toasted. That would be the point in this fight where radiation and chemo treatment would over lap and help each to win the battle for me.

Unfortunately for me I won't experience that battlefield, because my heart can only withstand a level of about 15 to 20 of those G-ry radiation mesurements without permanent damage to the healty tissue of my heart, and the area of my esophagus also needs 60 G-ry radiation and is more than it could recieve and still allow me to swallow and other normal uses. Another area that cannot recieve the 60 G-ry radiation is my spinal cord at the L9 area, it can only withstand about 15 to 20 as well, otherwise the damage to heathy parts (mainly my heart, my esophagus and my spinal cord) and the consequences out weigh the good that could be hoped for. The damage to my heart would most likely cause my otherwise heathy heart to have serious problems just pumping my blood at proper pressure, beats per minute, proper rhythm and even up to stroke and heart attacks could be the result of the radiation treatments. The damage to my esophagus would affect my ability to swallow and all the problems that that could add. The spinal cord damage would likely paralyze me from (L9) my chest down if the treatments went as planned. The problems that that could and or would cause is to many to list, just know this, I have a living will that was written long before my surgery and I made it clear then that I really didn't much favor the way of life that much of the possible outcome could give me if I followed through with the radiation treatment or chemo as presented to me yesterday. Now, put that together with the reality that those are only 3 of the areas that the cancer margin involves my vital organs or parts that make life normal. Now add, my left lung still has a tumor that hasn't been touched yet. That lung tumor wasn't done because of the difficulty it would have been during the surgery. The Doc yesterday spoke of another surgery now to remove the right lung tumor. I'm not keen on that idea now that I have learned all this other news cuncerning my survival statistics.  The margin area around largest tumor that ended up messureing 19 X 15 X 9cm roughly 7 1/2" X  6" X 3 1/2" is pretty big. What I was told is this, "The surgery was a task of taking the jelly out of a jelly donut and still have a donut when that was done, the radiations task is to remove all the jelly that was left behind as well as the margin that includes all the donut parts that have any jelly mixed in plus a little more dough of the donut to be as sure as you can be that you get all the jelly (cells), then the chemo would attack and kill everything in me with a messured dose and timeline to allow my heathy cells to rebound while the cancer cells wouldn't have time to rebound before the next chemo treatment, inching toward the point of overcoming the cancer. I was told that that could take months of treatments."

Ps 118:8

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:57 PM »

Part 2 of 2

That was the plan, but so goes the roller coaster ride, or yoyo or how ever it would best be put. This is really a curve in the rough road ahead that I hadn't considered, let alone given any preperation for this posibility of outcome. Now, there's still the other tumor in my right lung and the area around and all the remaining parts and pieces of the tumors that were removed during surgery. Honestly, I'm a bit puzzled why this result was never mentioned to me before I had the surgery. At my Dec 1st appointment at the Boston VA hospital I asked the surgeon if he would still have done the surgery knowing the outcome as far as the type of Thymus Cancer diagnosis being changed from Thymoma to Thimic Carcinoma, he said "YES" because it did in fact add time for me to enjoy my life longer. For that I am thankful, and as I have though on that point I have decided that it would be like asking me if the motorcycle ride I rode to point B would STILL have been ridden if I had known that it was going to be a pounding rain for 500 miles of the 2000 mile the roadtrip. Those of you that know me also know the answer to that question. Rain or not, I would be thankful for the ride, wet or dry, still have stories to be told while rocking in the chair on the porch.  

Now for the chemo portion of this puzzle, I was told that as good as chemo can pack a punch aginst cancer, with or without radiation,  it just isn't strong enough to help in my case. All it would do in the long run is make me sick while I wait for that day. It all comes down to quality v quanity. Very strange how different it is with only one letter changed in a word, the "L" and the "N". Quality  or Quanity,  that's really the question. And simple too!

It seems that I'm on my own now, Although the RN coordinator of my cancer team ( a real go getter, I glad she's on my team) told me yesterday that there is still folks on the team that will help me through all the stages that remain for me. "in triplicate of course" lol  Got to love the VA system  lol   thanks Lin

I'll send another update soon because I have lots of Doc's and Nurses to talk to in the nexts few days and weeks. As from the beginning, things can and have changed many times over and I expect things will change again. So, I choose to take your advice and hang in there.

until then
Dad   Sam  chappy
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:01:46 PM by chappy »
Ps 118:8

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2009, 04:23:42 PM »

God Bless You Chappy,  Your a strong strong man.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »

Chappy,  Amazing you can even sit and type the story!  That's quite an inspiration. 

Our thoughts and prayers are with you this Christmas Season! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »

Sam, I'm praying for you and your family.  You are a inspiration to me and others that you are sharing this part of your life with and we're right here pulling hard for ya, bro.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

Sam I continue to pray for you and your family.... this fight ain't over. I thank you for sharing your fight with us as it has truly been a blessing. Your determination and positive attitude has been an inspiration. God Bless.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »

what courage to just be able to write that ... your a inspiration to all of us... keep praying with us and the next change will be good..

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »

Sam, not sure what to say other than "Thank you". Your honesty is an inspiration. I'm not sure who is benefiting more by your telling of your story, you for having someone to talk to or us for being there to listen. Know that we are here and will be for you. God bless you and your family.
AJ

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »

Hello Chap, you maybe the strongest man that I have ever known. Just your shear will to keep fighting is a inspiration to us all. Just like Jimmy V says "Never Give Up, Never Ever Give Up". We are here for you as you are here for us. Chap, your CVO family is hanging strong for you and we will continue to pray for you and you family. GOD Bless you and Sue.

Your Friend,
Chris
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »

Sam, you're a braver man than I am having the ability to sit and pour this out with the courage and calm you do.  I'm a selfish bastard.  It's rare I do something "for" anyone else or with them really in mind.  Come spring, or whenever the weather allows before then, I'm riding for you man. 

Not "in honor" of or "in memory" of.  Just riding with a brave brother in my heart and along for the ride and to write the stories of the ride back to when I get home.  Because you'll still be here to read them :2vrolijk_21: .

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #163 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:12 AM »

Sam  I want to thank you for sharing your journey. My Father-n-law is on his own Cancer Journey. He is fighting Cancer of both lungs. He has been on Chemo for over a year which has played a large toll on his quality of life. We visited him 3 weeks ago to get his house in order for the winter. He was very much down and gave us the impression his fight was over. Come to find out after his most recent PET(??) Scan they claim the cancer has been defeated. He will receive 2 more Chemo treatments to make sure all cells are destroyed. Now we hope his strength will return!

So Sam never give up as my father-n-law was just about to do. There is alway hope and the will of higher beings than us. I greatly stand up an applaud you for your courage and continued outpouring of information. Our prayers will always be there for you and you family.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
       Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »

Sam,
Your strength and courage is an inspiration to us all. I continue to pray for you and your family.
Please know that your CVO family is in on this fight and will not give up. Although the road is bumpy and full of unknowns, we ride with you on this journey.
Love to you and your's,
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 99

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.