Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 248613 times)

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2009, 11:29:10 PM »

Chap how are you, it sounds like you had a very busy day. I'm glad your starting to get to the right Doc's that can help you. Hey, tell me about your bike or bikes over the years and some of your favorite rides. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers everyday. I look forward to reading your post keep them coming my friend.

Chris
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2009, 11:41:20 PM »

Sam still praying for you..... Jo Ann's and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

God Bless,

bubba
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2009, 11:03:29 AM »

Good day Chap, how are you. The sun just came out here in Louisville and it got me thinking about you. I know your days have to be long just waiting until your next appointment. But God made us all strong so keep the fight strong like you. Only you know how you feel so sometimes you need to look the Doc's in the eyes and say listen, this is what I want. I know you will get your way, God Bless and keep in touch.

Your Friend,
Chris
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2009, 07:22:34 PM »

Howdy folks,

Lots has gone on since my last update was sent out.
And I wanted to get back to you all after I had the newest information and the plans that have been laid. Sorry I'm so long winded, I'm really trying to trim it down but there's just so much going on right now.

But first, I really what to make a very important point to you all. I'll start by saying Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You all have given to me and added to my strength while I walk down the latest path in my life. Your thought and prayers have helped me and Sue more than I can even imagine. So, let me tell you a couple of the things that has gone on in the past week. Last evening when Sue and I got back from a very long and extremly tiring day at the Boston VA (about a 12 hour day). These last few weeks have been weeks that has sucked at my strength not only physically, mentally and emotionally. But back to what's happened of late. We got home yesterday, it was dark as can be. I didn't really look around much, I just wanted to get in the house, put something in my gut and go to bed.
And that's what I did, so this morning when I got up, Sue said look out the windows, so I did. To my surprize and delight, my whole yard was clean, I was hard pressed to even find a single leaf. I have a pretty big yard, about 1/2 acre of rakeing. No note and no idea as to who did this for me. But Thanks to all that took part from Sue and I.
Next, because the price of fire wood has jumped to $250.00 a cord this year and I burn 3 to 4 cord a year, Sue and I decided that the cost and then reality of all the work that burning wood brings, well, it just isn't a bargin to say the least. We narrowed our idea of a new heat sourse to a LP gas furnance in out cellar, "forced hot air type" or one of those woodstove looking, fake log type LP gas heaters for the living room. Now we've been talking for some time about this heat supply change. Weeks before I found myself on this latest curve ball express. Anyway, we went to our LP gas supplier and asked him to help us with the cost difference between the two. He's been busy, a very hard guy to catch, so I had to call a few times to get a return call. He told me he'd get back soon. So, as time ticked it was soon well within the health issue. He called me last Thursday morning and asked to meet at my house at 12:30, because he wanted some messurements. He showed up, took those messurements and said let's go out to the truck. I thought he was going to write something up for me, but as we got to his truck, He turned and said, "The Lord has been good to me through the years and I think he wants me to share with you..." he then pointed to a brand new LP gas furnance,  he then added, "this furnace is for you and Sue as a gift." It blew my mind, we went inside to tell Sue, She fell into tears. Our LP gas man said, "you guys have been customers of mine a long time and good paying customers." He had no idea of the situation Sue and I are in. This is without a doubt an answered prayer of the silent type.

Now, last but not lest, as you all know I went to the Boston VA Hospital for my last hope at a second opinion. I did sort of prepare myself, because I was told that the Dr at Boston wouldn't operate on me either. However, he said he would operate, I won't get into all the risks, but after coming to the knowledge that a body can only get so much radiation and that's it, Well, it seems if all goes well on the Operating Table, then Radiation and Chemo, I will have a better chance for survival and a longer time is a much better chance than just radiation and or chemo alone could provide. Now, are you ready, I'm due for surgery on Nov 12 at 6:00 am. I'll be in the boston VA Hospital for a week or so. The Dr told me that if my heart is damaged, because not only he a Thoractic surgent but he's also a heart surgent. He said it looks like the cancer has damaged my (something )cava. He showed me a model of the chest and pointed to the cava. Wow!! It does look like I should hold onto that one. Anyway, he said "don't worry he could repair it with gortex". It's still a rough road ahead, but now my hopes are based on things going well for a 60% chance of a 5 year survival. That's so much better than the meger months that I had for my hopes just the day before yesterday.  There is so much more I could tell you, like the risks and one very possible risk is that he may open me up and change his mind and simply close me up. There are a few things that will happen as a result of the operation, but, they are small stuff compared to what this ride has been so far. So, I'm not out of the woods yet, so please keep praying for me and my family because I know that your prayers have helped tp turn this around a great amount all ready.

Also, it's still looking good for me to get radiation at the local Hospital. If it turnd out that I need rehab, there's a good chance for me to get that closer to home also.

Todays visit to the vermont VA hospital went well. The whole team it seems are as pleased as me and Sue. This ride has seemed as though round and round I have gone, and there was no brass ring to grab at all. But now it has a brass ring and I have grabbed ahold of it.

Thanks again for all your prayers.
I wish I could write each of you a more personal message to thank you for your willingness to even read about what's going on let alone all words of encouragment, and such heart felt thoughts and especially your prayers.

Many thanks to all of you.
Sam  aka  chappy     
Ps 118:8

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »

Sam you and your family are still in mine and Jo Ann's prayers.
God bless you my friend.

mike
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »

This is a good read Sam. Thoughts and prayers are with you and Sue as you know. Thanks for taking the time to give us an update. Here's a little cautionary tale about rehab   :nervous:  :huepfenlol2:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

Sam,
God answers prayers in many ways, sometimes thru people and sometimes thru his own hand. Looks like you are receiving
from both. God bless you and yours! We are walking this journey with you thru our prayers.
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »

Sam, you and Sue are still in our prayers. You mentioned that you were sorry for such long winded responses. Don't be. One of the best therapies you can have is talking about your situation. The best part about doing it here is that there is no one to interrupt you. I think you'd be surprised at how many people's lives you have touched by telling your story. In particular, how other people have been there for you when you needed it most. The gesture of someone anonymously cleaning your yard shows us all that it's the little things in life that mean the most and have the greatest impact. It teaches us all that we can be better people. Keep the updates coming as we need them as much as you do. You're an inspiration to all of us.

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »

Sam, that is all certainly good news.My prayers are with you during this battle.Have faith in God,yourself and you're Dr. and you will win. KB
kb

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »

Sam,

Just found and read thru this entire post. I hope to meet you one day soon as you sound like an incredible human being. I have just prayed for you and will continue to do so.

It was awesome to see God move thru your LP guy!!

God bless you and your family.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

Praying for your victory!

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »

god is listening and even answering u... keep up the fight ... i know he is on your side... my prayers are still with u...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »

Sam, you and Sue are still in our prayers. You're an inspiration to all of us.
......and you are a inspiration to each of us.  thank you.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2009, 02:39:09 AM »

Sam and Sue,

I've read and followed along and silently said prayers for the very best for you... I'm very glad things are looking up.

Some of that good karma is coming full circle for you now.. never give up, and things WILL get better!

Aloha...

Rob

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2009, 11:57:50 PM »

Sue and I just got a call.
Another couple that goes to Sue's MS support group and us have hit it off pretty good. We have gotten together outside the group funtion for cookouts at the lake. as well as helping each other get back and forth to appointments (oh, so many appointments) our friends are a sort of mirror image to Sue and I. With us it's Sue with MS, with them it's Phil with MS, with us it's me with cancer, with them it's Carin with cancer.
Now with great sadness and great difficulty just to say it, Carin passed today. Sue and I will miss her so much. As you must know Phil is in the valley of grief. It seems that even when we know we have some time, it's still the hardest time to actually get things in order. Just knowing you could have done a better job doesn't null and void all the hoops tha forms that will find their way to Phils door step. What a mess this old world can send your way. Please give a prayer or two for Phil, he's got a paperwork hell to deal with.

Please don't think i'm selfish, but this hit me hard today, it was like shock first day all over again. Here I was thinking, I'll give it my best shot. A wave or two went through me today saying, it doesn't mater, I'm headed for the same fate. Sometimes it shakes right off. Today The shakeing lasted much longer. So now I can say I was shakeing but I'm not shook.
Not seeing much humor right now, but tomorrow is a whole new day
96 hours and 42 minutes I'll be on the table
I'm hopeing for success and the most cancer possible will be removed.
Enough so the radiation and chemo will finish it off.

After all, I still got rubber on my sneakers on the Ultra, and juice in the tank.
I still want to connect the sidecar to my Heritage Springer
hook up the camper and go camping at lest one more time.

But, what do I hear, reality!!! Oh ya, I forgot I have to take the lawn mowing deck of the yard tractor and put the snowblower.

Been riding moto bike since 1964, as I grew so did the bike. Bare bone mostly (less to fix that way).
I'll start with my harleys
first harley 1972 XLCH, things liked to fall off, sometimes me! the Od broke over and over til I didn't replace an guess of miles would have to be "not eneough"),
second Harley 1985 FLT (nice bike for riding, I called it my ugly duckling. 55000 miles)
third Harley 1990 FLHS (this on I customized good job too. 75000 miles)
fourth Harley 1997 FLSTS (birch & Red most fun bike. 69500 miles) Fifth harley 2003 Ultra Classic (has the most extra parts, maybe more than what's on all the other harleys together). (But, The Ultra is by far my favorite to ride distance 86000miles).

I'm hoping I'll be rideing again in the spring.
I'd like the ride to be place to place just to shake the hands that typed this many encourageing posts to me.

I'll be there for at lest 7 days starting on th 12th of November
Not sure if there will be laptop internet hook up or not, I hope there is. I don't even know if I can use my cell phone there.
If I can't write what's up with me I'll hope my wife does.

If you want to drop a card in the snail mail
West Roxbury Veteran's Medical Center
c/o Chaplain Samuel Legasse
1400 VFW Parkway
West Roxbury, MA

Sam   aka   chappy

Ps 118:8
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 99

Page created in 2.866 seconds with 21 queries.