Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 249624 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #555 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #556 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »

Sam, you now look like Marty?  Thats cool cause you both are great guys, cannot wait till we all get together again.  Prayers on the way tonight as always, still tying to get the chin on the forehead vision out of my head.  Take care my brother.
I guess we will now have to change your name Sam ....to "Mini Me"   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  Your a handsome man for sure  :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #557 on: February 01, 2011, 08:35:36 PM »

Hello to my family and friends,

As I had hoped my Monday appointment for a ct-scan went without a hitch. My Oncology DR called me today with the results. He called it a mixed bag, and I'd have to agree with that discription.
Here goes, I have some tumors in my right lung that no longer can be seen with the ct-scan, I have some that are smaller now. I have some that are the same size and some larger, I also have some new tumors. And last but not least, I now also have what I can only say is the newest word in my vocabulary: Atelectasis
Atelectasis is a collapse of lung tissue affecting part or all of one lung. This condition prevents normal oxygen absoption to healthy tissues. Always wanted one of them: ya right!  lol

After a little more discussion with my Dr on the phone, I was told that my next schedualed three days of chemo on Feb 7, 8 & 9 was still on the books. I had hoped that my ct-scan would have shown such great improvment that I wouldn't need to keep that cycle of chemo, or at worst, it would be my last treatment in this (my second) regime. However, the way it was left, I don't know how many more chemo cycles are remaining in this regime. But, who doesn't like a good mystery. hahaha

I still need your prayers because I stand a chance of my white blood count dropping again. I don't need another infection and I really don't want to get admitted to the hospital again either. I do need strength to get through the valley that follows the chemo treatments. That valley has been about half way through the cycle, however, this last couple cycles have been worse than any I remember and the last one not only got me hospitalized but was a week or so earlier that any other valley that followed a chemo cycle. I find it difficult and even a head game to continue the chemo, but as I have said before, Charge has been called and charge I must do. But, I must say, Is it spring yet??

Late last week I had a home delivery of Oxygen tanks in two size stylish green tanks and also a concentrator (a machine that makes oxygen out of normal roon air). Just what I wanted, another tether to hold me down. lol  I haven't started the O2 yet. The instructions of how to and when is some what vague, so I will go over it all again when the visiting nurse comes on Friday. I then will go over it again on Monday the 7th when I go in for my first of three chemo treatments. Then I guess I'll be able to no longer put it off. Who knows, maybe I'll like it. At any rate, I hope I won't need it forever.

I didn't sleep last night, neither did Sue. I finally fall asleep around 5am and slept all day, I plan to go to bed again soon and hope to sleep all night. It is going to add over a foot of wet snow to the 5 or 6 inches that we got today. I didn't clear the driveway today and am glad to wait until the snow is done falling before I deal with the task.

January was a busy month for Sue and I. With the treatments and sickness and hopital stay there wasn't much time for much of anything else, but I can say I'm happy that I managed to get the van and the truck registered and state inspected and leagally set for another year. The bikes will have to wait till I can see the ice clearling from the dirt road I live on. I'm hopeing that the mud season is as short as it was last year because I want to ride and the sooner the better. I'm planning my spring breakout ride, but haven't got it written in stone yet. It is narrowed down to West or South. Maybe I'll go Southwest.

Well I guess that's it for now except I hope all of you are doing well.

till the next one
warmest wishes
Dad  Sam  chappy  friend
Ps 118:8

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #558 on: February 01, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »

Thanks for the update Sam.  Our prayers and thoughts are still going out to you and Sue that this next hurdle will not hold you down for too long.

Marty & Diane

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #559 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:58 PM »

Thanks for the update, Chappy.  I'll continue to send prayers for you (and Sue) and keep you in my thoughts.  I can only imagine how difficult this is for ya'll, but just know that the good Lord will be with you thru all of it.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »

Sam,
Thanks for the update. You and Sue are always in our thoughts and prayers.
Glad you are planning your spring breakout ride. I'm sure you will pick the right direction to head. Remember, you are welcome here anytime except Sept. 21- 25 which is Maggie Valley 2011. Of course you could always plan on being there again this year.
God Bless my friend,
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #561 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:46 PM »

Sam...close your eyes.  Smell that freshly mown yard?  Think..spring is coming.  Spring is coming.  Spring is coming.   :divers009:   

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #562 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »

Sam...close your eyes.  Smell that freshly mown yard?  Think..spring is coming.  Spring is coming.  Spring is coming.   :divers009:   

That works for me. I didn't sleep last night, ended up sleeping from about 4am to about 1pm. Had some coffee and freshly baked gingerbread man's. Got dressed for the first time in two days and then, I went out and plowed the dooryard. The snow is now over the windowsills. Freezing rain and sleet now with a chance of changing back to snow later. Maybe another 3-4 inches coming tonight. Hard to think of the lawn, but, I like that thought much better than snow. Seems the older I get the more snow just hurts, not like when I was a kid and enjoyed playing in the stuff all day when school was called off.

Sam

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #563 on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »

Sam,

I know what you mean, when I was a small child, snow was a hell of a lot of fun, as I got older it became a chore, now that I am as they say elderly it is a pain in the A$$.  I thought moving to Alabama 7 years ago would rid me of the white scourge, found out this year it can and does come to Alabama,

Take care, give Sue a big hug for us, we will see you in the spring.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #564 on: February 08, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »

Hello family and friends ,

I went to my Feb. round one of three chemo treatments today. I had a few concerns, the top two were, would my white blood count be high enough to meet the 5000 needed to go ahead with the treatment. It was, but the count came in at a low 6,700. That opens the case for other concerns as the treatment moves forward, and especially puts a watchful eye on this cycle and the numbers of my white blood cell count. I really don’t look kindly to the chance of a dropped blood count with the chemo sickness coming early or another stay in the hospital. As mentioned in my last post, my last ct-scan was a mixed bag of results. I was told that if I did get chemo today it might be a different cocktail mix than what I have been getting. My Oncology DR stated that the current chemo cocktail might not be working as well as hoped for, but at least for this cycle, it turns out to remain the same. I have been scheduled for a future chemo cycle on March 7, 8 & 9 and that means it is planned to continue to be 28 day cycle and not go back to the previous 21 day cycle. That’s OK with me. I like the idea of an extra week to recover from the chemo. Again, because of my, not so good report on the ct-scan, I also am having a PET scan done sometime shy of my next scheduled chemo cycle. This time it will be done in New Haven, Conn, a mere 187 miles from my home. The hope for this scan is to bring into a clearer picture just what is going on with the cancer and to possible bring about a rethink on the chemo I currently use. On the dark side, it may show that any further use of chemo may be non-productive. On the bright side, maybe some radiation could come into my treatment, however, that seems to be very unlikely.

I met two new guys today at the chemo room. One Veteran had such a bad report to his tests that he was admitted to the Hospital. Before he got a room, He sat across from me and I was able to talk to him for a while. As it turns out he owns the same year, model and color Harley as my 1997 Heritage Springer, red on white of course. It was sad to see him head off to a Hospital room, I can say, I must know very closely how he felt. A still-ness sweep the chemo room as he left on his two feet refusing the wheelchair that was offered to him.

Another Veteran was already getting his personal cocktail of chemo when Sue and I arrived at about 8:00am. I was guided to the chemo chair next to him. He and I also talked along with another Vet that sat across from him. This third Vet and I have been in that same room at the same time on several treatments and have become very friendly. The newest guy sitting next to me had a long beard and without words spoken, I think he was concerned he might lose it due to the chemo. When I walked into the room, he looked at my bald face and my head with a skull rag and I think that he may have seen his fear up close and real. Later, as we were talking the topic of hair falling out came up. I took off my skull rag and showed him my hairless dome and then showed him a picture of me on my ID. Then I told him that not everybody loses their hair. That’s when the Marine across from him spoke up and said that he was one that didn’t lose his hair. I think it was perfect timing and I also think it helped to take much of the pressure off the newest member of this conversation and topic. Like me he hadn’t been with out a beard for 30 plus years. He also had family and friends that has never seen the looks of his hairless face.

Last night Sue and I went out for a meal with another couple. We had seafood, and it was good. These friends of ours surprised us with a bag with Christmas presents as we were readying to leave the parking lot after our meal. I’ve got to say, I’m just not getting any better at how to receive from others. Sue and I are so blessed with caring friends close by and also scattered all around this whole world, we are very thankful.

Sue and I have now lived 3 years in a neighborhood here in Sunapee, NH. I have never lived in such a friendly, helpful and caring neighborhood in all my life. I don’t even really know how to respond. Words just seem to fall so short. There is really just one way to say, "Thank You for caring", and that's from the heart, So Thank You for caring about Sue and I, we hope you are all blessed in the same mighty way that you have blessed us.

I’m going to try and fall asleep sooner rather than later, so I will say goodnight to all of you and wish you all well. I’ll send out another post if anything turns far from the trail I’m on.

Take care now
Sam  chappy  friend

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #565 on: February 08, 2011, 05:22:36 AM »

Good Morning Chappy:

I am pleased to read that your white count was high enough to start the next round of treatments, and I hope and pray that you grow even stronger through the process.  You continue to be an inspiration to me and many others by your kindness to us, through these updates, and by your support to so many others around you.  Other gentlemen are faced with the same fears that you have been faced with and you are blessed with the opportunity to pass some strength on to them, and in so doing pass an understanding of humanity on to us all.
     Thankyou Sam for sharing your journey with us and we look forward to hearing about the great feeling you will be experiencing in you spring break out ride.

Marty & Diane 

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #566 on: February 08, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »

Sam,
You always know just when to post. I was feeling down about some things going on around here and needed a lift. Trivial things like the water pump loosing power and not being able to run a new line due to the rain. So here I am feeling sorry for myself and low and behold My Friend Sam comes to the rescue! Just reading your positive posts and realizing what is truly important has lifted my spirits and put me back on the right path.
Sam, I thank you for being here and showing us all how to deal with life as it comes our way. Give Sue a big hug for me and keep going forward. Again, you have made my day!
Thank you and God Bless My Friend,
Mike

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #567 on: February 08, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »

Good morning Sam,

I am speechless, your concern for others during your trying times is amazing.  Reading about the Vets gives me chills as I lost many good friends in Nam.  We are happy to see your white above 5,000 hope all is going well for you and Sue and the family today.  You are never out of our thoughts long, you are indeed an inspiration to us all.  Hang in their my friend we are all pulling for you with the man above.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #568 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:53 PM »

My thoughts are with you Sam...enjoy the O2, it is good, used to use when I was in the service for hangover cures on the flightline, worked good...Hoping the best for you man.

:drink:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #569 on: February 08, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »

Thanks for the update Chappy! I will continue to lift you and your family up in prayer!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 99

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 22 queries.