Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 249564 times)

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #585 on: February 26, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »

Hello family and friends,

Once again, thanks so much for your thoughts ans prayers. It seems that the last several days at least, I have needed your thoughts and prayers more more than usual. Spring fever;  not the easiest thing to deal with, especially when thoughts of the open road with the rumble of a V-twin sending the thrill of the oneness of the road and the ride as you cut through the fresh air enjoying the sights, sounds and smells that surrounds you as the road ride even runs through your veins. Truly, that's what I would rather was going on with me lately, but life did send me a path a bit harder for me to hike with each day that pasted more painful than the day before.

The past four days has been especially difficult for me with those days was shared with pain far above that that has become part of this fight against cancer and the sickness that chemo gives. The pain is similar to the pain in your side when you run to far and to fast, or that from doing to many sit-ups in to short a time. You know, the pain that grows just below your ribs in the front, usually on both sides but in my case it's just on the left side. The pain is greatly increased if I try to bend over and while in the process of sitting down or getting up from sitting and especially when I try to get into bed and lay flat on my back. Getting into bed and laying down takes me a couple of minutes and then several more to actually rest my legs and lower my legs from my knees high and the soles of my feet flat on the sheets. Rolling over in bed latly has been an adventure and a whole new experience that I hope will find it's end soon.

About 8:30 pm last night and with much prompting from Sue, I finally called the VA Hospital nurse advice line, after a long wait on hold I finally got to talk to a real person (in Dayton, Ohio) she told me to go to the Emergency Room, NOW. So off to WRJ, Vt. I went. I got there and received care just moments after arriveing.  After an IV hooked up to my arm and blood drawn, the count showed my white blood count was 18K ( higher than normal) and the excruciating pain was narrowed down to be radiating from an enlarged spleen (not a good thing). The ER Doctors wanted to admit me for pain management and an emergency ct-scan, but because of the med (metformin)  that I take to control my sugar diabetes, a quick ct-scan would be out of the question and would have to be delayed for a minimum of 12 hours from my last dose, pushing the soonest ct-scan to 3 to 4 am. On top of that, I would have to cancel my PET scan scheduled for Monday at the New Haven, Ct VA Hospital. I was relieved that the pain wasn't related to a more serious problem and decided to leave and go home insted of getting admitted to the hospital. I was told several things to be aware of and if several different things showed their ugly head I would have to get back to the hospital asap. I agreed and headed for home about 1 am.

I still am in quite abit of pain, but I don't want to miss my Monday PET scan. My biggest reason for my decision to go home was, my next 3 day treatment of chemo (March 7, 8 & 9), hangs in the balance of the report and results of the PET scan. I am somewhat surprised with myself, because the truth is, I would never wish chemo on anybody, but here I am, hoping that next chemo treatment isn't canceled or delayed. Go figure !!  lol 

When I got home I took a couple of pain pills (the big guns) and waited for them to cut the pain down enough for me to actually lay down in bed. That took about 2 hours and the motion of laying down still hurt enough that it took 3 attempts over a period of about 15 minutes. Once down I did finally fall to sleep until about 5:30 am. At that time I took another of my heavy duty pain pills and got back into bed slowly and painfully.

Right now I'm kicked back in my living room enjoying the comfort of my recliner. I made it through the night and tomorrow I'm going to head down leisurely to New Haven and stay at a hotel just down the street from the VA hospital that will do the PET scan on me at 10 am on Monday. The weather report shows the ride down to Conn. will be at the end of one snow storm and the return trip home will be during the next snow and ice storm. So, I'll be driving down and back in my 4X4 truck, not as comfortable as my van but much safer with the weather report given.

I will then have to wait for the results of the PET scan while hoping that the New Haven VA Hospital communicates are better with WRJ, Vt VA hospital than the Boston VA Hospital is. Sometimes the wait for test results causes as much or maybe even more anxiety than that of the daily count down to the launch of my next chemo treatment. What a Pandora's box,at least that's the way this all seems to me at times, like now.  lol   Like a game that I would never volunteer to play, yet here I am, willing to jump in for "my turn", hey, it's my turn. lol  How did this happen? It really doesn't mater. The fact is, it did happen and now it has become my fight against cancer and my fight for life. So, I fight as best I can, but all the while I now it's out of my hands. Yet, I do know that I'm in good hands, much better than my own. And, now I say thank you very much for your thoughts and prayers because without which my demise could have already come and gone, but I live on.

With my warmest regards
Dad  Sam  chappy  friend

Ps 118:8

schmoopy

« Reply #586 on: February 26, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »

Dear Chappy, All I can say is you are fighting the good fight. We are all here with you and will be for the duration. Do what you have to do and we will send prayers, wishes, and good thoughts your way. You are not fighting this alone. All our love, hope and prayers are with you. I'm sure I speak for many others when I say, we wish we could do more. Just know that we are pulling for you any way we can.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #587 on: February 26, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »

Hey Sam,  could you do me a huge favor...Next week when you are sitting in the chemo waiting room,  comforting the others (because I know you will be) that are waiting for treatment...  could you (even though it may be a bit painful and you may look a little funny doing it) please give yourself a pat on the back for me and say "I Love Ya Man" for me,  because I am so far away and thats when you will need our thoughts and prayers the most.  Seriously Man ...  I want you to actually do this for me so you remember that we are pullin' for you.

God Bless

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #588 on: February 27, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »

Sam, We all have worries and stress but most of us don't have anything comparable to the battle you are up against and I admire your will to march on in your daily battle, you can be assured that along with all our prayers the good Lord is right beside you and Sue walking you through your daily battles.
  If it was possible I would be first in line to take on your pain and suffering and give you a break from all of it, but I do know that you are not alone.    Always in my thoughts and prayers, Mike

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #589 on: February 27, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »

Well ya got  6 months to get better - your leading the next ride in Maggie Valley - see you then - hurry up and get better.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #590 on: February 27, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »

Well ya got  6 months to get better - your leading the next ride in Maggie Valley - see you then - hurry up and get better.
Careful what ya ask for Duane .... I've followed Chappy  :nervous:    :huepfenjump3:      :huepfenlol2:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #591 on: February 27, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »

X2

Careful what ya ask for Duane .... I've followed Chappy  :nervous:    :huepfenjump3:      :huepfenlol2:

Sam I'll follow you anytime anywhere. I like the unknown! ;)
Get ready for your breakout ride, warm weather is on the way.
Give our best to Sue and know we are all in your corner.
God Bless my friend,
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #592 on: February 27, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »

Hey Sam,  could you do me a huge favor...Next week when you are sitting in the chemo waiting room,  comforting the others (because I know you will be) that are waiting for treatment...  could you (even though it may be a bit painful and you may look a little funny doing it) please give yourself a pat on the back for me and say "I Love Ya Man" for me,  because I am so far away and thats when you will need our thoughts and prayers the most.  Seriously Man ...  I want you to actually do this for me so you remember that we are pullin' for you.

God Bless

Marty
X2
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #593 on: February 28, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »

Sam, sorry your in pain, hope the PET goes well. As for your description of the of the pain, "The pain is similar to the pain in your side when you run to far and to fast, or that from doing to many sit-ups in to short a time."  Can you come up with a better description, not sure how many of us can relate to this description! :D Keeping you in our prayers, keep up the good fight!

Craig

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #594 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »

To my family and friends,

Please except my ramble tonight

March 1st, can you believe it?  1/6th of 2011 is behind us already. This fact also means us motorcycle enthusiasts in the colder parts of the world are closer still to our riding season. I’m hoping to have my bike in the upright without the use of the kickstand this month. I know it won’t be a long ride, but any ride is better than no ride. Lol

I’m going to bring ya’ll up to date by walking backwards from now. It’s nearly midnight and I slept until 3 this afternoon and have pretty much sacked out in my recliner since. I went to bed yesterday about 6:30pm because I was so beat after the day that I had.

I made it to the VA Hospital at New Haven with time to spare and that was good, because if ever there is a need for more parking spaces, it’s there. Man, I went round and round and after I saw so many cars and trucks parked in the grass or should I say mud, I decided to pull up in the mud too. Glad I didn’t have my truck towed away.

Checked in to the reception and before long I was called. When having a PET scan you have to relax for a while. That’s when I got the test to see what my blood sugar is. It has to be less than 200 to have the scan and my sugar tested at 161, so all is good. In came the guy with the needle to shoot me with the stuff that seeks cancer. That went OK as well, but, to my surprise, I was handed two plastic bottles to drink down. I thought, oh no, not this again. I asked the Tech, what’s up with this nasty tasting stuff, I was told that flavor has been added. That, caused a relapse a days gone by and I forgot to continue my questions. The Tech left and I drank and drank and drank. And it did taste better.

About an hour later they called my name and said I should use the men’s room and then come into the scan room. Next I was on the scan table. The scan had to be the longest hour and a half that I can recall. Sue and I were on the road soon after. I wasn’t on the road 15 minutes when my guts felt a rip-roaring cramp followed soon with beads of sweat forming on my forehead. Then it dawned on me, the tech didn’t show me the men’s room so I could pee, and he had the other function in mind. I wish I had had the same thought, because, man o man, I had to go now, I mean NOW!!  I started to scope the roadside, nope, that wasn’t happening, we were in an urban/business district so I held as best I could hoping for the next exit to have a restroom available. Thank God, there was, so I took care of business and got back on the road. I still had over 125 miles to go at least. Made it home without mishap.

My Oncology Doc called today and spoke to Sue and brought her up to date. Here goes, first off, I can go to the VT VA hospital on Thursday for a blood test to see if I can start back on my diabetes meds’ I have to stop those meds prior to and remain off them after the scan until I have the blood test that makes sure my liver and kidney function is OK. The PET scan showed that the chemotherapy that I have been getting has been working as well as hoped.   I now have only one tumor in my right lung and one tumor in my left lung that lit up in the scan. Nothing lit up in my spleen either. All that is good news and to top it off, I’m all set for the chemo next week as long as my white blood cell count is over 5000. One thing did come back a bit negative though, it seems I now have something showing up in my upper colon. The Doc has a list of new tests for me now, just what the Doctor ordered!  lol   Meanwhile, my spleen doesn’t hurt as much as it did.

Dad  Sam  chappy  friend

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #595 on: March 02, 2011, 06:48:51 AM »

Sam

Prayer sent for your continued strength during your endeavour. God bless.

JW

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #596 on: March 02, 2011, 06:49:15 AM »

Very encouraging Sam  :2vrolijk_21: Keep up the positive thoughts.  You and Sue are as always, in our prayers

Marty & Diane
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #597 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:23 AM »

Chappy, good to hear the positive stuff.  You are in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis.  Hope to ride with you sometime this year.....you are a brave soul & give us all hope & inspiration with your struggles as you relate to us.  God bless you & Sue.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #598 on: March 02, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »

Sam,
Encouraging report you have there. We all hope and pray for many more to come. Get ready for warmer weather and days in the saddle with the wind in your face. we all look forward to your ride reports, with pictures. Give Sue a big hug from your SC family.
God Bless my friend,
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »

March 8. 2011   Chemo update,

Hello family and friends,

This week my three days of scheduled chemotherapy was bumped from starting on Monday to start on Tuesday because my Oncology Doctor would not be available on Monday. Sue and I showed up a bit before 8am to a very crowded room. Today was different, I didn’t know a single other Veteran in the room that I was directed to go into and the only empty seat. It was so crowed that Sue and all those that accompanied a patient had to leave the chemo room until the Patient’s Doctor was ready to talk with that Patient. Meanwhile all us Patients were getting setup for our usual infusion and giving a few tubes of our blood to confirm that we could safely receive our treatment. I was second to have a Doctor conduct the usual check me out routine.

A Nurse went to the waiting room and brought Sue back so she could be part of the check up. The Doc, Sue and I talked about several things as we waited for the blood test results to come back. A somewhat strange event that has become a normal part of my life is having a very personal medical discussion with my Dr in a crowed room.

Soon my blood work results came. That took the talk with my Doc up a notch. My blood test gave the OK for my chemo to proceed, but the Dr tossed another curve as usual. My Oncologist told me that the PET scan was a good one for the most part, but he still had questions about my upper colon. He went on to explain that he thought it would be good to have these three days of chemotherapy. I said “OK let’s do it.” He really wasn’t finished tossing curves yet, because he added, my body was reaching a possible dangerous level of toxicity from the chemo I’ve been getting, so these three rounds of chemo has met my limit. A plan of medical action now is wait three months time and then give me have another ct-scan to see where I stand in my fight against thymic carcinoma cancer. So, I said again, “OK, let’s do it.” I was hooked up to chemo and after an eight hour stay in the chemo room today I was finally able to leave. Tomorrow and Thursday, I do it all again.

Kind of funny how this works out, I want more than I could say for my chemo treatments to come to a halt. However, this out come falls a tad shy of what I had hoped for. And though, at the same time I am very glad for the fact that after Thursday’s treatment will bring an end to chemo and the awful sickness that it brings. It takes a long while for the chemo side effects to ware off. All the healthy fast growing cells that have been wiped out by the chemo will slowly pile up where needed to the numbers that will overcome the chemo sickness. I’m hoping my head will grow back some of my insulation. Lol, besides my helmet will fit better too.

I don’t care much for the idea of a three-month break from chemo followed with a ct-scan because that puts a ct-scan in early June or at best mid to late May. Seems to me that I will run a risk of the Dr telling me I need to go back on chemo. That would just about eliminate my riding season or at lest my plans for my favorite riding, “long distance rides”. Today’s mixed bag of news leaves bittersweet taste in my mouth. Don’t get me wrong, I am glad I can stop the chemo after Thursday. I think in a black and white sort of way. I like to have all the Intel available, but seldom is that the case. This case is one of those that lack much Intel and won’t for months to come. I won’t let it worry me, I’m going to ride as soon as I can and have plenty of rides in mind. Several long distance rides and even more that are day and over night rides. I know I won’t be able to pull them all off, but, “””HERE’S HOPING”””

Thanks for all your prayers, support and encouraging words
You’ve brought me immeasurable light that would have been very dark otherwise

Dad  Sam  chappy  Friend 

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 99

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 22 queries.