Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Close Call - almost dropped it!  (Read 1546 times)

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
Close Call - almost dropped it!
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »

I was in a hurry on the way home from work last night and I approached a stop light I saw what appeared to be water on the road.  Did not pay much attention to it as there is a seafood business that has trucks pulling in and out of there so there is always water on the road.  Well as I got ready to stop and I put my feet down I realized it was antifreeze and a oil mixture.  I kid you not this was more slippery than ice...thought for sure was going to drop the bike.  When I realized that I was not able to get any traction at all with my HD boots I quickly moved to the outside of the lane behind the car in front of me.  I was able to stop and rest the bike on my left foot which was clean.  But my right boot was slick as could be...I just kept rubbing it back and forth on the road and was able to get it off.  I am just glad that I did not drop the bike but what a close call.  In a way I am glad it happened because I will sure be much more alert of where I put my feet down in the future and if I had had my wife on the back or had got this  :soapbox: on both of my feet I would have dropped my bike for sure.  Also I am so glad that I was wearing boots and not my regular shoes that I occasionally ride with.  If it had not been for the additional support that the boots gave I also think the bike would have been dropped. 
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Close Call - almost dropped it!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »

Glad you kept it up. Falling down sux even if you don't get hurt. Never know what the hell you'll run into out there. Reminds me of one of my first stops at a toll both. That dark spot in the middle's slick as he11.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:56 AM »

You know the the old saying. Two kinds of riders, one that has dropped there bike and the one that will. Or something like that.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »

I had a similar experience a couple months ago on our way to Key West via Cocoa Beach.  If any of you have ridden "Florida's Turnpike" you'll surely remember this.  This friggin' highway has more toll booths than New Jersey!  Seems every town, city, county or whoever feels like building one has toll booths every mile and a half!  Well when you pull up to give the nice attendant your spare change, you have to get pretty close...and it puts your right boot smack-dab in the antifreeze/oil/tranny puddle.  Did the fandango a couple times before I figured out my wife was making it worse by shifting her weight around fishing for more change.

BEWARE anyone headed south...I'll take an alternate next time to be sure.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »

Horseshoes and hand gernades are the only things that count in closeness. Glad you kept it up.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »

Years ago when we lived in Alabama I worked next to the main hwy a big rig dumped diesel on the same stretch of road. After a couple of cars going off the road traffic got down to a crawl as they drove slowly by me I saw a Gold Wing barely rolling his tires then as he came in front of me went down, glad I was standing there to help him but I could barely stand myself. Ever since then I avoid any sign of wetness on the road even rain. It happens so fast, be careful out there.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »

You know the the old saying. Two kinds of riders, one that has dropped there bike and the one that will. Or something like that.

Well I have dropped a bike before doing something stupid!   :-[  Not a good feeling.  But you live and learn!  

All I know is it is a bad feeling not getting any traction when you put your feet down.  
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.