Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 Convertible  (Read 3742 times)

pleezinme

2010 Convertible
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:41 AM »

I purchased a 2010 Convertible for my wife which she loves. Only issues are the clutch wants to run even after bleeding the hydraulic line. Also strats real hard after running for awhile. Spits and backfires. Any other shaving this problem?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: 2010 Convertible
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »

How bad is the clutch dragging?  A little bit which may be solved by a switch in primary fluid which happened on my Street Glide--or if it is really bad you may have a problem that needs to be looked at by the dealer.

pleezinme

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »

It was real bad when we picked it up. I literally had to stand on the right brake until I could turn it off. I had the dealer take it back to the service shop where I watched them bleed the system. They opened up the master cylinder on the clutch and pulled the fluid off the bottom bleeder into a container. Several onces were added as the fluid bled out the bottom. They put it all back together and ran it. The clutch seemed to be ok after that until I started it the next day and it still had some run in it even while pulling the clutch lever in full. I just hope it is not a continual problem. WhenI take it back I will ask them about your recommendation. thanks.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »

It was real bad when we picked it up. I literally had to stand on the right brake until I could turn it off. I had the dealer take it back to the service shop where I watched them bleed the system. They opened up the master cylinder on the clutch and pulled the fluid off the bottom bleeder into a container. Several onces were added as the fluid bled out the bottom. They put it all back together and ran it. The clutch seemed to be ok after that until I started it the next day and it still had some run in it even while pulling the clutch lever in full. I just hope it is not a continual problem. WhenI take it back I will ask them about your recommendation. thanks.

Depending on your dealer, they may not agree with the fluid change since you are running SYN3 in there now. Using non factory fluid...blah blah blah......just letting you know how it went for me. Slight drag then fluid change to Redline and all was good. I have also heard that if it is only slight right now it may get better in a few hundred miles. I waited 500 until I dropped the fluid.

pleezinme

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »

Thanks  I also hope the starting problem goes away. Cause it really sucks to spend the $$ and have it act up when you go to a gas station and people listen to it spitting and backfiring. Camera is my nest option to show the dealer. Ride safe great pic of your bike.  I ride a SE Ultra race tuned. I had lots of stuff done to it.

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »

No way should the bike be backfiring and difficult to start or the clutch dragging like that. I'd be back to the dealer right away.  The issue with the clutch could be lots of things - air in system, maladjusted clearance on the clutch itself (inside the primary inspection cover) or warped plates or damaged drum.  Either way a competent dealer should fix. The backfiring and poor starting sounds l ike a severe mixture problem, I'd take it back before damage ensues.  Jon

pleezinme

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

No way should the bike be backfiring and difficult to start or the clutch dragging like that. I'd be back to the dealer right away.  The issue with the clutch could be lots of things - air in system, maladjusted clearance on the clutch itself (inside the primary inspection cover) or warped plates or damaged drum.  Either way a competent dealer should fix. The backfiring and poor starting sounds l ike a severe mixture problem, I'd take it back before damage ensues.  Jon

Thanks, I am currently videotaping each run I take so I can show them what it is doing. They can't seem to make it happen when I take it in. Cause I am an hour from the dealer it isn't very convenient. But hopefully the video will convince them something is going on. Thanks for the ideas of where to look. Ride safe.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »

On my 10 SESG I bled the clutch (what I thought was bled.....didn't see any more bubbles).  The next day it started creeping again, when stopped.  It got worse and worse.

Took it to Jim's shop the next day for it's first service and told him about it.  He bled my clutch again.......a lot.  Kept pouring more fluid in and kept bleeding it.  At times it would appear that it was bled and I thought he was doing over kill.......then all of a sudden there would come more bubbles.  So, you have to bleed them a lot. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.