Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mid control installation - FXR4  (Read 1695 times)

dmdrider03

mid control installation - FXR4
« on: November 07, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »

I have found all the parts to go back to mid-controls. I have a question on the shift side. Manual(s) have no info on the shift shaft sleeve. I had posted earlier about the FXR4 shaft sleeve being obsolete; but I will try an earlier FXR sleeve.
It appears the sleeve will be flush to the outside of the respected covers and the o-ring providing a seal. When inserting the shifter rod through do you apply grease or anti-seize? Any other tips for the install?
I'll be replacing seals when I have the inner primary off.
Once installed does the shaft sleeve come out with the inspection cover?? Seems like a tight fit when I insert the sleeve into the inspection cover.

Thanks

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: mid control installation - FXR4
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:16:49 AM »

I just had the cover off for chain adjustment.  The shaft is in there good, did not move.  I used some assembly grease on the new O ring when re installing the cover.  You have to muscle it on.  I used a piece of wood and mallet to get the cover over the o ring sleeve.  It moves around while trying to install in.

I noticed this area is not covered in the service manual.  Unless I missed it?  1999 FXR2,3 and the 2000 FXR4 supplement didn't cover this or mention the cover removal at all.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

dmdrider03

Re: mid control installation - FXR4
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »

That's what I thought; the inspection cover would be a tight fit. Must be a challenge removing it off the sleeve?
Do you or did you notice grease or anti-seize inside the sleeve where the shift shaft goes through?
Thanks again

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.