Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 CVO 110 Softail Convertible rough idle  (Read 7709 times)

mrvr6turbo

2010 CVO 110 Softail Convertible rough idle
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:04:40 AM »

We are having an issue with our new bike. It only has 330 miles and after the dealer changed the gas tank to a new one because of paint problems, now I am having an issue every time I stop.
It feels like it is going to stall.
Dealer says it just shuts down the back cylinder when it is hot, but I do not buy that since I've had previous Harley's with the same system and never experienced this. You can even hear a knock which the tech says it is a spring or metal part to compensate for the cylinder that's shutting down when hot.
They also checked the fuel lines again under the tank and they seemed to be OK.

Any comments on this or other people experiencing this same issue?

Thatguycvo

Re: 2010 CVO 110 Softail Convertible rough idle
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:57:23 AM »

This section has been slow. You might want to post this on another section like general discussion.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »

This section has been slow. You might want to post this on another section like general discussion.
Duplicate threads aren't allowed they will be locked, moved/merged or removed. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mrvr6turbo

2010 110 Softail Convertible Iddle problem
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:48:06 AM »

We are having an issue with our new bike. It only has 330 miles and after the dealer changed the gas tank to a new one because of paint problems, now I am having an issue every time I stop.
Dealer says it just shuts down the back cylinder when it is hot, but I do not buy that since I've had previous Harley's with the same system and never experienced this. You can even hear a knock which the tech says it is a spring or metal part to compensate for the cylinder that's shutting down when hot.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »

I think your dealer is steering you in the right direction. If you look in your owners manual it will tell you how to shut off the heat management system.
Shut it off than take it for a ride. See if does the same thing.
EITMS, or Engine Idle Temperature Management System
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

mrvr6turbo

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:53:05 PM »

Searched the forums and there is a way to turn the EITMS off for the 09 or earlier models through the throttle, but I tried it on the 2010 Softail convertible CVO and does not turn on any amber/red or Green light.

Any word on the new bikes to turn this off other than re-flashing the ECM?

Thatguycvo

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »

Sorry fired00d I should have said moved.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13:33 AM »

Searched the forums and there is a way to turn the EITMS off for the 09 or earlier models through the throttle, but I tried it on the 2010 Softail convertible CVO and does not turn on any amber/red or Green light.

Any word on the new bikes to turn this off other than re-flashing the ECM?

isn't it in your owners manual???
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:38:51 AM »

Any chance it is the Clutch Issue many of us had (mine on the SESG)?  Is is creeping forward when it stalls and you have the Clutch in?  Mine felt like it was stalling because the clutch was still engaging.

If you have this happen in Neutral then ignore my comment!

/Bill

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:02:19 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

mjholden

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:47:54 AM »

I have the same problem with my FLSTSE. The dealer tells me that there is no EITMS on the 2010 CVO Convertible only on the touring bikes. So far it hasn't a big deal, and with summer coming to a close I am assuming I will have to deal with it next year when it gets warm. It is odd that it only idles roughly when all the conditions for the EITMS system are meet. :-\

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:05:42 PM »

I have the same problem with my FLSTSE. The dealer tells me that there is no EITMS on the 2010 CVO Convertible only on the touring bikes. So far it hasn't a big deal, and with summer coming to a close I am assuming I will have to deal with it next year when it gets warm. It is odd that it only idles roughly when all the conditions for the EITMS system are meet. :-\

I checked the maual and it says there is EITMS on the bike. Tell you Dealer it is on page 70-71 hope this helps. I asked my dealer some questions that were in the book and they said they have not read the manual. Crazy huh?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

All the EITMS does is shut off fuel to the rear cylinder, that's it.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »

Here is a little tidbit that my dealer clued me in on last Friday when I had my 1000 miles check.  I have been experiencing the motor running just as it is expressed early in this thread quite a lot recently.  Usually can guarantee it will happen after the engine is warmed up, within 10-20 miles.  Doesn't matter if you are stopping in a parking lot, in your garage, at the gas station.  Within a moment or 2 after you stop, the engine starts sounding like duh-duh-duh-duh-duh and almost has a metalic sound as well as the rpm level drops just under 1000 and you think it may die any moment.  Just been running great, and now this???  Well, riding up to Yakima, Washington the other day I stopped and got gas along the way and it did it.  Well, it seems like when you take your vehicle to the Dr., it never does what you said it was doing when you get there. Right??  This time, within 2 minutes it started going into that same mode and I walked up to the counter while the service writer was on the phone and asked him did he want me to shut it down or leave it run. He said leave it run, and within a couple minutes one of their older, cracker-jack (this guy really did appear to be one of those "been there, done that" sort of mechanics that also recognizes whether you have been paying attention to your Harley or not as well) wrenches and after thinking a little bit and asking me, "is that what you are talking about"?  and all the planets lining up as well............  finally voiced that he thought it could be something at the end of the cam shaft (?) that automatically tightens the primary chain as it goes through the primary gear box.  Anyway, long story short, after they did the service to the bike, they determined that it is the auto tightener device that is "just on the verge" of getting ready to pop over to the next ratchet point to take up the slack of a "stretching" primary chain.  They said it is a normal occurance (sort of like growing pains, I guess) and before very long it will stretch just enough that the adjuster clicks over to the next point on the ratchet mechanism and the chain that has been slopping just a little bit to make the noise and make it not run as well as it used to, will kick in and the problem will go away never to return again.  Does that make practical sense to those of you that really understand the inner works of these engines??  Not being really that wise about these things, I sometimes think they try their best to make up a good line of bs, but it did seem to make sense to me.  I am expecting the issue to cease and desist before very long and in the meantime I feel like I understand what is taking place in the meantime.  Any comments???

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »

I have had the same thing happen due to the EITMS after the bike hit 275 deg. Figured it was just the loss of one cylinder. That's one of the main reasons I instaled the Thunder Max w/ autotune, as well as changing the stock pipes to Rush 1.75 slip-ons. With all the EPA restrictions, this bike runs hot stock.
My mechanic said once the TMax is installed, the EITMS is no longer active. So far, I've put about 150 miles on the TMax and I have no rough idle even in traffic delays. The bike runs easily 50 - 60 deg cooler, especially at idle.

With a richer AFR, and no cats, she really runs nice. Next will be an external oil cooler for summer.

Mickey

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.