Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Abby's Engine  (Read 20434 times)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Re: Abby's Engine
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »

:orange: Yea, Abby's engine is now back in the bike and purring. Only 26 miles so far but sounds and handles ok. We will need to jet the carb since we changed the cam, bored 20 over and changed pistons. Seems to need more fuel to insure we don't run it lean while in the 500 mile break in period. Did we spend $2000 to fix the vibration problem for nothing?????? Don't know yet but will learn more when we log some miles. Temps forecast to be about 54 deg tomorrow so will put about 100 more miles on the engine. Nothing more to report about UPS except I still think management wins the Chithead award hands down. Abbynormal is smiling ear to ear to be back on her FXR4 again. The complete overhaul and Andrews cam has changed the sound of the bike so Abby will have to go accustomed to the new "Cat" as she fondly refers to her bike.

Plasmaman

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »

:orange: Back on the road again. We only have 270 miles logged so the bike is not completely tuned yet. It seems strong and should get even better once broken in. The vibration we hoped to cure remains but has changed and is smooth at highway speed. As you gear down and begin losing RPM you can really feel it in the pedals. All in all, I believe we helped the bike and will learn more after we pass the magic 500 mile break in period.

Plasmaman

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »

We would appreciate hearing from some of the FXR riders concerning how their bikes feel at various RPM. It is a difficult task to verbally describe the way your bike feels but maybe you can let us know if we are expecting too smooth a ride from the FXR. This bike had very worn motor mounts when we first purchased the bike. The vibration began prior to changing them out and it has never been the same. The old mounts allowed the engine to shake similar to an Electra Glide at an idle and the bike was smooth. The new mounts are much more rigid. We have done a total rebuild on the engine including balancing the crank and all new bearings, rods, pistons, etc. My 2003 iron mounted Evo Sportster is smoother than the FXR. Any input will be appreciated. Most vibration on deceleration and less than 2400 RPM, smoother at 2800-3000. We will not test the higher RPM's until break in is finished.

Regards, Plasmaman & Abby

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »

Don't know if we have any UPS members or not, if we do they know how poorly UPS handles your goods.  If the item was insured then UPS has to repay them for the damages.  I have dealt with UPS numerous times and as long as the insurance was in place and you have the damaged goods and packaging, they pay up.  Do they play football with your goods yes, do they cover them if you can 100% prove them at fault, yes, but they take months to settle up.  Sounds like you have a good motor and all is good too bad for the shipper.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »

We would appreciate hearing from some of the FXR riders concerning how their bikes feel at various RPM. It is a difficult task to verbally describe the way your bike feels but maybe you can let us know if we are expecting too smooth a ride from the FXR. This bike had very worn motor mounts when we first purchased the bike. The vibration began prior to changing them out and it has never been the same. The old mounts allowed the engine to shake similar to an Electra Glide at an idle and the bike was smooth. The new mounts are much more rigid. We have done a total rebuild on the engine including balancing the crank and all new bearings, rods, pistons, etc. My 2003 iron mounted Evo Sportster is smoother than the FXR. Any input will be appreciated. Most vibration on deceleration and less than 2400 RPM, smoother at 2800-3000. We will not test the higher RPM's until break in is finished.

Regards, Plasmaman & Abby

We've bought an FXR4 for Sheila in late summer.  I've probably put 500 miles on it myself.  I have to say it rides very smooth with virtually no vibration at all.  The bike is virtually stock...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »

I gotta agree with Scott.  My FXR3 is at least as smooth as my two rubber mounted TC's, if not more so.  There's no objectionable vibration from the bike, whatsoever, at any RPM.  Mine is also stock, except for a Ness air cleaner.

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:32 PM »

:nixweiss:You guys are making us cry. Abby's bike was smooth as well but it changed. Somewhere around $2500 spent and we still have not found and fixed the problem. The only parts not replaced that go round and round are the clutch plates, compensator and alternator. They were all disassembled and inspected for cracks, wear, chips, metal shavings, etc and appear ok. The entire engine has been totally rebuilt with balanced crank, new rods, bearings, pistons, pins, bored jugs, new rings, valve job and new motor mounts. There just isn't anything remaining that we can think of that will cause the nasty shakes. We surrender and will ride the bike as she is unless someone out there comes up with another idea.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Plasmaman

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »

One last thought.... Do they make different motor mounts that fit that bike. Primarily the front mount. Maybe a much softer one would remove the vibration.

Plasmaman

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »

One last thought.... Do they make different motor mounts that fit that bike. Primarily the front mount. Maybe a much softer one would remove the vibration.

Plasmaman

No great difference in motor mounts that I'm aware of.  But the Velva engine stabilizer links are a consideration.  Rather than the solid links they're an isolated link.  They can make a small difference in transmitted vibration.

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »

:carrot: :jalapeno:Yea, Abby is happy again. Almost 400 miles on the new engine now and it is so much better. Vibration free, NO, but not much and smooth at road speed. Guess we have to say we were successful with the rebuild. I don't think we will ever know what was causing the excessive vibration but what the heck, it is gone. Hope to go over the 500 mile mark this week and will then have the timing and carburetor adjusted. Can't wait to feel how the Andrews cam has changed the acceleration. Thanks for all of the past hints and help.

Plasmaman

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »

:carrot: :jalapeno:Yea, Abby is happy again. Almost 400 miles on the new engine now and it is so much better. Vibration free, NO, but not much and smooth at road speed. Guess we have to say we were successful with the rebuild. I don't think we will ever know what was causing the excessive vibration but what the heck, it is gone. Hope to go over the 500 mile mark this week and will then have the timing and carburetor adjusted. Can't wait to feel how the Andrews cam has changed the acceleration. Thanks for all of the past hints and help.

Plasmaman
Glad to hear that!!! :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »

Great news, Plasmaman!  Gotta admire your tenacity on this!  Glad you're happy with the results! :2vrolijk_21:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »

Hi,
 I have a 2000 FXR4. It vibrates more noticably if in 5th at a low RPM about 2000 rpm. I usually run mine pretty good up to about 4800 prm when running through the gears with no problem. When I first got my bike the wife complained about the vibration. I told her she was crazy but one day I wore some shoes instead of my boots and there was a big noticable difference in vibration that was felt on the foot pegs but at no time was the vibration sever. There are the front motor mount and mounts in the swingarm and rear of transmission that clould be a probllem. There are two stabilizers. One athr front motor mount and one between the heads by the carb. make sure they are aligned and not broken. If the motor flywheels were out of balance the shop should have been able to tell you how much they were out of true before being rebuilt.
Ltank

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 08:38:21 PM »

We now have the 500 mile break in period completed. Abby's bike was running ok but just not as good as it should considering the work done on the engine. We found a minor problem causing a major issue with fuel/air ratio. The "donut gasket" that connects the carb to the intake manifold was not seating correctly and causing a lean mixture. Hard to start, some backfire back through the carb, lack of snap when you add throttle. We found it by spraying a small amount of Chemtool B-12 around the gasket while the bike was running. An obvious change in RPM took place and we knew the gasket was bad. After replacing it, an immediate improvement in performance and starting was noticed. Abby will need to be careful with this bike until she gets the feel of the new found power. It will very quickly get sideways and fishtail down the highway if too much throttle is applied. IT FEELS GREAT. Thanks to all of you who have followed our problems and offered solutions. I truly believe we are on the road again and ready for Big Bend, Texas in the spring. Plan to ride that area April 9-18 if any want to meet up.

Regards,
Plasmaman

Artlee

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »

Great news on the bike! Forgot the trick of spraying the carb to find a leak, thanks for the memory.
Going to Big Bend, good for you! Was there in 98, it is awesome there. Would LOVE to go back and ride those West Texas roads again. Ride safe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.