Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Abby's Engine  (Read 20444 times)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Re: Abby's Engine
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »

The weather was cool (40 deg) but clear so Abby got to ride "The Cat" today. It appears that the main jet is sized too small for the engine modifications so will increase to a 195 main and maybe go up to a 49 or 50 pilot jet. The miles per gallon may suffer with the changes but if you make the bore bigger and more cam you will most likely give up a bit of mileage for the increase in performance. This bike had consistently gotten around 50 mpg.  Haven't had the weather or time to log enough miles to see the new mpg. Our weather is not predicted to be bike weather all next week. Yes, I know you snow birds are in the garage until spring. Sorry, it won't be much longer. Riding Texas has some advantages.

Plasmaman

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »

what a journey you've been on with this bike!!

Glad that it's back together and running well ...

I didn't go back and re-read all of the posts in this thead .. so I just mention this ... you did or didn't have the engine / frame alignment checked or adjusted ?

I have an FXR4 ...  no vibration of any sort that one would consider 'unusual' or bothersome .....  I'd call it more of a buzz that runs through the bike.  I ride it hard at times.  When the road is open and the urge hits me, I don't hesitate to take it to the rev limit through the lower 3 gears, after that I'm usually out of road.

Best of luck with it from here !   
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »

In answer to the alignment question, I don't think that any high tech alignment was ever done. As I have mentioned in past posts, all mounts and stabilizers were replaced. The engine was cranked with mounts loose in hopes that it would seek its own sweet spot. If you have specific points on alignment please share. The bike is so much better now that we once again enjoy riding The Cat. It is only at the lower RPM range that the foot pedals really talk to you. Road speed is ok. Someone up north left the gate open and Texas has 9 inches of snow. I am 68 years young and never have I seen that much snow in the Fort Worth west area. I have the 195 main jet ready to install and go ride the bike but not until we see some sunshine. This has been a strange and colder winter here in North Central Texas. Hang in there, the sun will shine again.

Plasmaman

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »

In answer to the alignment question, I don't think that any high tech alignment was ever done.

As far as I know, there is actually a JIG that is put on the bike that is used to align the engine in the frame. I know they have this and use it for the larger bikes such as RK's ... friend of mine and some buddies went together and bought the alignment jig and did their bikes.   

I don't know if the alignment is for vibration reasons or to make sure that the torque doesn't casue the bike to not go straight down the road if the engine is not straight inline with the frame.

As I have mentioned in past posts, all mounts and stabilizers were replaced. The engine was cranked with mounts loose in hopes that it would seek its own sweet spot.

I'm no expert here, but I'm pretty sure that's not the correct way to approach this.  Check the maint. manual for replacing the front motor mount, you'll notice instructions about the alignment of the torque arm at the bottom to the frame and the one on the top between the cylinders and the backbone.

I'm not trying to cause you concern, I know you've been all over this bike, I'm only throwing out ideas that come to my mind that you may or may not have tried or be aware of.  Since you are still experiencing some vibration I'm just trying to assist.

If you have specific points on alignment please share. The bike is so much better now that we once again enjoy riding The Cat.

I am Glad to hear that ...... my manual is out in the garrage, I'll get it this weekend and review ... but I'm sure that I read about that when I had my bike apart for my build and was putting the front mount back in.

It is only at the lower RPM range that the foot pedals really talk to you. Road speed is ok. Someone up north left the gate open and Texas has 9 inches of snow. I am 68 years young and never have I seen that much snow in the Fort Worth west area. I have the 195 main jet ready to install and go ride the bike but not until we see some sunshine. This has been a strange and colder winter here in North Central Texas. Hang in there, the sun will shine again.

VERY weird winter, we have been getting rained out here in South Carolina, now it's snowing like crazy.  The news said that today 49 of 50 states have measurable snow TODAY !!  Go figure !!

Plasmaman
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »

FXR4Mikey, thanks for the input. I do not own a service manual for the bike. My mechanic friend does have one which I can borrow and read up on the alignment issue. Our weather has remained cold with the roads just now really drying out. We should be able to enjoy a ride by mid week. If I learn more and make changes, I will give you an update as to the results.

Thanks,
Plasmaman

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

Best of Everything with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »

Things were good but just not as they should be so more investigation and a few upgrades. We have noticed a smell when parking the hot bike. Could not locate it. We decided to have the "time by ear" checked against the "timing light". The mechanic found the cam sensor beginning to melt. The dealer timed with a not working properly timing light and that began a wild goose chase of finding what the hell was wrong now. Long story, but will just say we found out what had happened and made the proper adjustments. Dealer also found Vacuum advance switch out of tolerance and replaced. I have ridden the bike about 60 miles and feel that all is well. Even the vibration we fought for so long has just about disappeared. Look out Big Bend, Texas. We ride April 9th to that area. Abby is thrilled to once again have "The Cat" ready to roll. Thanks for all of the past postings which assisted in finding and repairing various issues. Abby's Engine is done.

Regards,
Plasmaman

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »

WOW, what a journey !

Glad to hear that all is working well now !!!

Yall sure got some STICK TO IT  in ya, lots of peeps, maybe me too, would have given up on that bike.   Good on ya's !!!

Yall ride SAFE !!!!!!!!  and have FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »

Yea, we finally found the problem. A chance visit to another bike shop in our area led to a conversation with a really sharp and super nice mechanic. Abby briefly explained about the vibration problem and the long list of things we had done to find it. He asked permission to ride the "CAT" and Abby agreed. When he returned he said "I believe I can fix it". Although doubtful, we agreed to let him try. Remember from our past posts all of the things we had tried including to a total rebuild of the engine and balancing the crank. We left the bike with Scott for a couple of days to test his magic. When we returned Abby rode the bike and was amazed. It was like new and with the rebuilt engine it screamed and was smooth. Scott had installed a velva ride front mount, unbolted the engine and cranked it up to allow it to center. Then he did a complete realignment of engine, wheel, etc. That did the trick. After spending countless hours, thousands of dollars a sharp young mechanic trusted his abilities and solved the problem. He has since been delivered large quantities of Abby's famous cookies. Many of the things we had done were needed and the total package has left Abby with a really fine FXR4. Thanks for all of the input from you guys and gals.

Plasmaman

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

Hi Abby,
 I am sad that you have such problems on you bike. Having the rebuilt should have fixed the motor. When replacing the motor the primary gets disconnected. I am sure that you inspected the primary/clutch/tranny. A loose primary chain can cause vibration. Loose/worn motor mounts or swingarm/tranny mounts can also cause issues. I had a 89 FXRS new and my current used FXR4 and have not had the problems that you have. I wish that i could be more helpful.
Ltank

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
:bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

Tim
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 21 queries.