Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Hollister Rally on the ropes  (Read 3697 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Hollister Rally on the ropes
« on: December 28, 2005, 03:02:49 PM »

Council Punts on Rally Decision
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
By Luke Roney/Staff Writer

Hollister - As Ghostrider Promotions, a for-profit group with a proposal to take over Hollister's annual biker rally and move it to the local airport, tried to convince the City Council that its plan will be a financial boon for the city, a new prospective organizer stepped forward Monday with a proposal to keep the rally downtown.
However the City Council delayed making a decision about the rally Monday because two council members were absent.

Just weeks after the City Council voted 3-1 in November to terminate the Hollister Independence rally Committee's contract with the city to organize the event, three former HIRC members formed Ghostrider promotions and submitted a rally proposal to the city. The Ghostrider proposal calls for moving the rally out of downtown, charging a $10 gate fee and making it an age restricted event. Former HIRC President Dave Ventura recently formed Ghostrider with former HIRC members Helen Nelson and Bruce Beetz.

Despite profits for the city of more than $550,000 projected in the Ghostrider proposal, projected expenses exceeding $1.4 million have council members wary of risking the city's general fund for profits that might not pan out. The majority of council members cited financial reasons - this year's rally stuck the city with a $360,000 bill to pay - when they voted to terminate HIRC's contract last month after that group had organized the rally for nearly a decade. "It sounds like you're asking the city to put up the capital," Councilman Brad Pike said to the Ghostrider group Monday. "We don't have another $500,000 to front you, or $100,000 to front you."

Councilwoman Monica Johnson shared Pike's concern about the city being put at risk of losing money. "We're not in a position to take this kind of risk," she said. "I was hoping to see the city more as a contractor of services and not up front."
Councilman Doug Emerson was absent from the meeting Monday, but in an e-mail sent this week he highlighted a number of concerns he has with the Ghostrider proposal, echoing his colleagues' discomfort of putting the city at risk if the event isn't successful.

"In general, I am not agreeable to putting our general fund at risk. The proposal is basically asking the city to invest in a business - a high risk business," he wrote. "I do not believe the city should be in the business of investing in business ventures - especially with high risk involved." Nelson told the council that Ghostrider is highly motivated to make the event a widely-attended success, saying that that organization needs to put on a rally that draws at least 50,000 people in order to break even. She also said that the city not deciding whether to support Ghostrider is making it hard to get sponsorships that would cover some rally costs.

"Without a contract from the city, we're not going to get contracts (or) sponsorships," she said. Councilman Robert Scattini, who voted against terminating HIRC's rally contract last month, suggested Ghostrider look into posting a bond as security in case the rally didn't bring in the projected profits. Ventura said he would look into that. "I'm a big sponsor of this, for the good of Hollister" Scattini said about the rally.

Late during Monday's meeting Hollister resident Marlon Moss, representing a group he called the Hollister Rally Commission, presented a proposal to keep the rally downtown and move the main stage and beer garden to the vacant Fremont School yard on Fourth Street. Moss said that a rally downtown could work in conjunction with a rally at the airport.

The motorcycle rally, along with HIRC, has been the subject of considerable criticism in recent months. In October, Hollister Police Chief Jeff Miller heavily criticized the rally in a law enforcement report, stating that he could not guarantee adequate public safety staffing for future events because of the increasing risk of violent clashes between rival motorcycle clubs. He also raised concerns about the event becoming too adult-themed and placing the city in a bad light. Miller attended the meeting but did not speak on the rally issue.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
Re: Hollister Rally on the ropes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 04:05:49 PM »

Does any one know what the rally attendance was last year?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 05:20:31 PM »

Thanks for posting that Joe.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 05:21:17 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 07:20:03 PM »

The attendance at the rally for 2005 was estimated at over 120,000. They also claim and increase of about 15,000 - 20,000 a year since 1997. Huge number of
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:38:37 PM by CVOJOE »

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 07:41:36 PM »

But then it does have it's scenic distractions
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:42:35 PM by CVOJOE »

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »

IT LOOKS TO ME THAT JOCK WILL BE HEADING OUT THAT WAY SOON ! ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 08:30:03 AM »

IT LOOKS TO ME THAT JOCK WILL BE HEADING OUT THAT WAY SOON ! ;D

With scenery such as this, mighty temping...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »

The attendance at the rally for 2005 was estimated at over 120,000. They also claim and increase of about 15,000 - 20,000 a year since 1997. Huge number of

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 10:44:33 AM »

Thanks for the attendance numbers...the purpose of the question was to back into
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »

It's been a huge money maker for the city, Jock.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
The Latest on the Hollister Rally
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 12:44:49 PM »

Independence Day Rally Dead For '06

Wednesday, February 08, 2006
By Luke Roney

Hollister - A last-minute proposal from a Florida-based company to fund and organize the Hollister Independence Rally wasn't enough to save the annual biker event, which the City Council voted to cancel.

After about an hour of discussion Monday night, the council voted 3-2 to adopt a resolution stating that a motorcycle rally will not take place on public property in 2006. Councilmen Robert Scattini and Brad Pike cast the dissenting votes.

"The big issue for me is ? the city is really strapped for money," Councilwoman Pauline Valdivia said shortly before the vote. "For this year I think it behooves us not to do this."

In November, the City Council voted 3-1 to terminate the Hollister Independence Rally Committee's contract with the city to organize the rally.

The majority of council members cited financial reasons - the 2005 rally stuck the city with a $360,000 public safety bill - when they voted to terminate HIRC's contract, after that group had organized the rally for nearly a decade.

Since then, the council has been hoping that a group would come forward with enough money and experience to organize a 2006 event that won't be a financial strain on the city, which is struggling with an annual $3 million budget deficit.

Earlier in the evening, council members received a sketch of a rally proposal from Florida-based Biker Design, an apparel merchandiser. Despite Biker Design's offer to pay the city $300,000 to hold the rally, the majority on the council didn't see the proposal as the solution to the rally problem, which council members have been grappling with for about three months.

"There is no way I can support this," Councilman Doug Emerson said. "It's too skimpy and too late in the year to consider it."

Some of Emerson's colleagues on the council agreed.

"I'd like to see a lot more detail before I say, 'yeah we're going to put this on this year," Councilwoman Monica Johnson said.

A staunch rally supporter, Scattini suggested that the city give Biker Design a bit more time to submit a more thorough rally proposal. The majority of the council, however, seemed ready to push forward with making a decision.

"You got a guy sitting in front of us whose going to give us the money," Scattini said. "My take is I'd like to give this guy a chance."

Several rally supporters - including three members of the Mongols motorcycle club - were in attendance Monday cheering those who spoke up for the event they love. Hollister resident Christine Howe said that biker events, such as the rally, benefit charity and local charities would lose out if the rally were canceled.

"Shame on us for thumbing our noses at the thousands of bikers who come to town and spend their money," she said.

Local Mark Maxwell said that, regardless of their decision, council members could not stop a 2006 rally.

"This rally is not going to go away," he said. "They're still going to come."

Hollister Police Chief Jeff Miller has said that his department has been concurrently planning on how it will deal with a rally, should one occur, and how to deal with people who show up if an event is not organized. Now that there will be no event in 2006, the Hollister Police Department will focus on preparing for the bikers who many say will come into the city in early July anyway.

With no rally, the city will still have to pay overtime for Hollister police officers who will be on duty over the Fourth of July holiday and possibly for room and board for officers from other jurisdictions if they are called in, Miller said.

However, he added those costs would be far less than the $360,000 the city has to pay for public safety at the 2005 rally.

"There's no question ? they're going to come. It's going to be a fiasco here," Scattini said following the vote. "That's the nature of the beast. It's the birthplace of the American biker."

Some council members said they were interested in seeing what could be done to organize a 2007 rally. However, Biker Design President Tom Recel said that stopping the rally this year will have a negative affect on future rallies, should they occur.

"It will get worse for 2007," he warned.

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
More
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »

Bikers Still Plan to Invade

Thursday, February 02, 2006
By Brett Rowland

Thousands of bikes line San Benito Street on the first day of the 2005 Hollister Independence Rally.
Photo by: Dispatch file photo
Hollister - Even though the fate of the this year's Hollister Independence Rally is uncertain at best, bikers from across the country have made reservations at area hotels and are planning on driving their hogs up and down city streets this July.

Hotels in Hollister, Gilroy and Morgan Hill are already filling up with reservations for the June 30 to July 2 weekend and innkeepers haven't heard of many bikers canceling even though the city council hasn't decided if it will hold a rally this year. Local business owners and law enforcement officials are also planning for a motorcycle invasion this year.

The Casa de Fruta RV Park has 300 spaces for recreational vehicles - and most of them have already been reserved for the rally weekend, said Andrea Farrell, a reservations clerk at the park.

"We're getting pretty full for that weekend, everyone is still coming," she said. "People call us almost everyday asking for news about the rally and most of them say they're going to come no matter what."

The City Council has delayed for several months making a decision on whether to hold a rally this year and hasn't yet found a group with enough money to organize the event. The council will be forced to either find an organizer or cancel the rally at its meeting Monday.

But not everyone seems to be paying attention to the council's dithering. The dates for the 2006 Hollister Independence Rally are posted on dozens of motorcycle enthusiast Web sites with no mention that the event could be canceled.

As a result of the continued interest in the event, Eric Gebhardt, general manager of the 137-room Hilton Garden Inn in Gilroy, is planning for a packed house. Gebhardt is cautiously estimating that he'll have between 200 and 250 guests over the rally weekend.

"We'll sell out. We haven't yet, but we will," he said. "And 90 percent of the people that stay here that weekend come for the biker rally."

The story is the same even at smaller local hotels, said Lety Radamen, manager of the Cinderella Motel on San Benito Street.

"Rally or no rally, the people are still coming here for the big party," she said. "It's the 60th Anniversary of the Boozefighters."

The Boozefighters, a motorcycle club with chapters throughout the country, was established in 1946 and its members have made annual trips to Hollister almost ever since.

The nation's most infamous outlaw biker gang, the Hells Angels, also has been attending the rally for many years, but legendary founder Sonny Barger hasn't decided if he'll make the long-trip this year to Hollister from his Arizona home.

"We are carefully monitoring what the city does and will later evaluate whether the rally will be sufficiently hospitable to visitors and vendors that we would attend," said Fritz Clapp, a spokesman Sonny Barger Productions, via e-mail.

City officials also think there will be an influx of bikers, but just not in the usual 100,000 range. City Councilman Doug Emerson has been counting on bikers flocking to Hollister this year, but he's guessing no more than 10,000 will show up if the rally is canceled.

"I expect people to come regardless, but I don't think it will be the huge influx we've seen in past years," Emerson said. "And if we're not going to have an official rally, we need to have a plan in place for things like traffic and safety."

The council's decision will depend, in large part, on whether a group with enough capital and expertise comes forward with a responsible proposal to organize the rally before the next council meeting, Emerson said.

"If we don't have a good proposal, I think we'll have to cancel it," he said.

Not everyone is waiting for the City Council's decision. Hollister police officials have already starting planning for both scenarios, said Capt. Bob Brooks.

Over the past few months, residents have warned the council that if it doesn't plan for the event bikers will come anyway, have nothing to do and create problems for local police.

Brooks doesn't know exactly what will happen this July, but he will be prepared.

"People are saying bikers are nice people if you throw them a party, but turn into criminals if you don't," he said. "However, until we get word that (the rally) is canceled, we're planning for it."

Brooks said the department has already started talking with its counterparts in nearby cities about additional police support, but declined to release numbers on how many officers he is expecting to patrol downtown this year.

"Either we'll have enough to make sure it's a safe event or we'll have enough to make sure it's a safe non-event," Brooks said.

If there is no rally, the city will still have to pay overtime for Hollister police officers who will be on duty during the Fourth of July weekend and possibly for room and board for officers from other jurisdictions if they are called in. However, those costs would be far less than the $360,000 the city has to pay for public safety at the 2005 rally.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 01:43:19 PM »

Just tried the Hollister Rally Homepage and it would appear that it has already been removed. This is a shame. :( I had this on my list of events that I must do in my lifetime. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to make my cross-country trip (when I retire) this will be in operation again.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 08:22:40 PM »

Just tried the Hollister Rally Homepage and it would appear that it has already been removed. This is a shame. :( I had this on my list of events that I must do in my lifetime. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to make my cross-country trip (when I retire) this will be in operation again.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

The web site has been down for awhile now.  I tried it a few weeks ago and it was down.  But everybody around here says they're still going.  Could you imagine Sturgis if the city council said they weren't going to have it anymore.........you still wouldn't be able to get a room at a reasonable price for a lot of years to come. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

West Coast GTG   

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »

The web site has been down for awhile now.
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 11:01:20 AM »

That's good to hear. I wonder if the city has thought about the money they will loose not being able to collect vendor fees, and other fees associated from having an organized rally. The people will still come, and they will get revenue from restaurants/bars (sales tax), etc, but it would seem they would loose (even more then what they complaining about loosing in previous year) in other areas. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

That's what I'm thinking, too.  They've got somebody waving cash in their face but they panic and fold. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

West Coast GTG   

FXRon2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 03:51:39 AM »

Will They Come Anyway?

You bet they will!!! I've gone 5 out of the last 6 years, and I'll be going this year for sure. My buddy's sister lives just outside of town, and we all stay at their place. Their whole neighborhood is biker oriented. On Saturday, they have a big party at one of the houses while a band sets up in the garage of the house accross the street. About 5:oo pm everyone goes to the band house and hangs out there the rest of the night. It's a blast....they really have it down...

And yes, we'll be with the thousands of other bikers (and people pushing strollers? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] (did someone say the Hollister Independence Stroller Rally?)). in downtown Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Heck, me and my buddies showed up at Bridgeport for the two years After they officially cancelled that run. Assholes....

Just when I thought the City of San Diego's city government is the most screwed up, along comes Hollister's and gives 'em a run for their money....go figure...

Ride Early and Ride Often...to where ever you want to go. God Bless America...

Ron
1999 FXR2
1999 FLHR
1996 FXSTSB (Bad Boy)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »

That sure a shame that some people are so narrow mined, Hollister was a great show. I'll be there also but it won't be the same, and one thing is for sure we're all going the have to be very careful because the cops are going to be looking for any excuse to ticket us. Before they looked the other way on some things.

P. S. For all those that have never seen just how big the show is, I've posted a Pic of down town parking, keep in mind the Pic is just one half of the parking.

FXRon2

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 11:32:38 AM »

Iselbulls,

Well, my buddy's sister just said there was something in the news last week that after the Hollister city council flaked out, some city leaders in San Juan Batista announced that they are going to try to put on a big party for Saturday (just saturday I think). I don't know exactly where or what is scheduled, but I guess that's some good news.

Ron
1999 FXR2
1999 FLHR
1996 FXSTSB (Bad Boy)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »

Well for what's worth, Arizona Bike Week is getting bigger every year and with the event taking place the 1st week of April it's a great chance to do some desert riding without scortching your ass off. As to Holister, seems like some folks decide if they aren't gaining anything from it, they don't want it. Shortsighted to be sure, since the business generated during the run might well be what keeps their favorite bar or restaurant profitable for the year. Some people just can't see the whole picture.  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 21 queries.