Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Additional addornments for the Convertible  (Read 10008 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Additional addornments for the Convertible
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »

Well, this is my first time on this forum as a contributor.  Waited since August 8th to get my Convertible.  Got to the dealership last week finally and I took delivery of it on Friday the 13th!  That date will have no bearing on this bike.  However, there have been a few issues with parts fitting.  Even though this is from the softail family, there are some items that just do not work and some that have to be investigated and planned out to bring them to this bike.  I will try to describe this parts journey to you all soon.   

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Additional addornments for the Convertible
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »

Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the site.  When you get a chance, go to New Member Introduction and introduce yourself.  
What color convertable did you get.  My dealership has had a blue one sitting ont he floor since August.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »

Glad to have you join in the fun here on cvoharley. Looking forward to welcoming you formally when you post on the new member thread.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »

HI Porky.  Someone has to do this:       :worthless:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »

Yes, thankyou for the welcome.  I have been looking and watching on this forum for about 3 years now since I took an interest in CVO's.  Have been looking and waiting for a Heritage (just traded my 05 in last Friday) to be made into a CVO.  Well, after 3 years of research and waiting, I guess the Softail Convertible is just about as close as they are going to come to a Heritage.  For the life of me I just cannot understand why they didn't just do the Heritage like they have done so many others.. anybody got any ideas on that???  Anyway, I'm pleased with it so far.  Actually they delivered it last Friday and it has not been out of the garage yet.  Just other things of more priority have needed my attention.  Maybe tonite.  Anyway, last night I attempted to install a new set of saddlebag crashbars so I can protect the Honey on the back seat as much as possible.  To no avail. They come close (about 1-1/2" off center) to fitting but they are miles away.  The frame appears to be the same but the seat rail I think is different.  It is a real shame as they would have a great balance to the looks of the bike.  Maybe Harley will get enough of a demand for them that they will design a pair that fits the bike exactly.  Though it is of the Softail family, it is a breed apart in many ways.  I did install the engine crashbar and it fit perfectly.  Ready for the highway pegs which will come from the footpegs for the passenger (standard on the Convertible).  In their place will be a set of footboards that are a "kit" of numerous parts ordered separately.  I ordered all the Rumble Collection parts that are on another part of this forum however they were for a Road Glide I believe which will just not work for a softail.  Live and learn.  So, I have gone back to the basics and have ordered a footboard support kit (an actual kit) for softail footboards from Harley.  The CVO's have some chrome pieces that just get in the way sometimes so may have to do some customizing to a part or 2 that come black and maybe have them chromed later.  Doesn't hurt to have a little extra "precious metal" on the bike, now does it??  The main thing is that I enjoy this bike and am not going to get myself down because something doesn't fit correctly or adapt to it just yet.  That is what time is for.  I will build this bike up to where I think it should have come from the factory.  Will actually be fun, I think.  Another thing I did last night is install a luggage rack on the back of the sissy bar.  Now the luggage rack fit perfectly and looks very nice.  The sissy bar however rides quite low.  But as my Honey is not too tall, maybe that will be alright.  One main issue is going to be the "detachable" business.  With the trunk installed, you cannot install the saddlebags with the stock docking bolts.  Something that I had to learn last night is that to make the saddlebags fit, you must 'extend' the detachable docking bolts with the use of another kit.  In effect it extends both sides by about 3/8" which is not bad.  Then you can put the saddlebags on as well as the trunk which was the idea in the first place to turn it into a touring package.  All this seems great in theory but to make it all work, it took quite a lot of thought.  Imagine they are still doing some thinking and maybe by this time next year they will figure a way to configure the docking system so they don't stick out quite so far when you strip down the bike which was the idea in the first place.  Anyway, more things to buy down the road and roadtest.  anybody else doing anything to theirs??    By the way, I waited 3 months for mine to come in.  When I ordered it, they said I could choose any color but it was the last day for changes. So I ordered and was patient.  I picked red and silver.  Love it.  Waiting for getting it out in the bright sunlight.  Saw the inferno orange at Sturgis but it just seemed way too intense.  But they are beautiful.  Concerning pictures, can anybody give me a crash course in posting pics?  thanks again for the welcome and looking forward to this forum. 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »

maybe if I try this..........

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »

And this??

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »

that better???  :-)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »

Much better. :2vrolijk_21: Keep them coming.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »

Why yes, much!   :2vrolijk_21:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 07:06:46 AM »

Welcome to the site!
Nice bike for sure ... hope you get LOTS of smiles from the miles you put on it!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »

Nice bike, welcome to the site.

I am very interested in the look you are going for....pictures are greatly appreciated.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »

Well, wecome back to me.  Many things going on the last couple weeks.  I finally rode the bike 3 days ago.  Sat brand new in the garage for a week.  Not to worry, lots of time to ride the bike.  First impressions are that I think the single toe shift lever sucks.  Having lots of issues getting the correct part to be used as the heel shifter.  If you order things out of the parts book #99458-10 be aware that some part#'s may be mismarked.  I was told last summer at Rapid City that you just get another shift lever like the stock one and turn it around and use it that way for the heel shifter.  When I ordered the part # 33668-07 (key #17, shift lever) out of the book, you actually get the shift lever that is immediately connected to the shift rod.  Labeled correctly according to the book and all but definitely the wrong part according to what's sealed inside the bag.  Well, of course you don't need 2 of those so what to do?  Dealer parts person having difficulty getting research as to how to remedy that problem.  Harley makes a heel/toe shift kit #34535-00B that has both heel and toe levers (2) for $139.  Seems high for only needing one of them to me.  However, after measuring a little more closely yesterday, I'm almost convinced that ordering a duplicate of what comes stock on the bike (if you can do that; doesn't seem possible yet and that in itself seems ridiculous) would not actually work.  I think the clearance would not be there where the 2 parts come together (lacking about 1/16 to 1/8" of clearance (we're talking non-grindable chrome {another precious metal} here).  So, it appears that I will need to put my stock piece aside and purchase the 'set' of heel/toe shift levers to make that function.  Extras you will still have to purchase are for the 2nd shift peg.  They are separate of course  :-\  They are:  #33960-09 shifter tread (rubber part), # 33961-09 chrome shifter cover, #50784-97 spacer tube, # 4196 button head torx screw, and #7041 lock- washer.  Just something about being able to tap the heel down to make up-shifting more enjoyable (especially getting it into neutral).  People that don't have that accessory don't know what they are missing.  So, that is out of the way, I think.  Next hurdle will be getting the passenger pegs moved to my peg supports on the engine guard.  Easy fix there.  The hurdle is getting the parts gathered together to make the passenger footboards thing happen.  So far I have the parts (most of them) and they are:  #51510-09 sweptwing footboard pans (R&L), #50357-04 footboard insert right(rumble collection), #51502-09 footboard insert left (rumble collection).  These will match the rest of the controls of the bike very nicely and are very heavy, very nice chrome.  Now the issue comes with how to connect these footboard assemblies to the bike.  Took the numbers that someone had given for a road glide elsewhere on this site (#53070-00A) and they did not work.  Again, they will not work on this bike as they are for a touring bike.  So, I am doing my own research and think this plan will work.  Will be ordering soon and will be able to tell you what the results are in a couple weeks when they arrive.  I am going to order part # 50460-06 Passenger footboard support kit (swept wing) $249 for a softail.  I used this part for my Heritage to put footboards on it.  Hope it works.  However, these are some things I am foreseeing:  the footboard support itself is chrome.  The part mounting that support to the rear fork is painted black (but so is the mounting bar of the saddlebag also so it is ok).  Here is the caveat, though: The large chrome caps that cover the head of the pivot shaft on the forward part of the rear fork may interfere with the yoke of that black piece.  So, I may have to grind out enough metal to make it custom fit around that cover cap (I'm not throwing away those $$ chrome cover caps!!)  As important as that is the fact the I believe those beautiful painted rear fork 'inserts' will stick out enough that they will be in the way of that black piece as well.  So, may have to grind a bit off the underside of that black piece to make it fit over the insert.  By doing all that and chroming the piece after all is done, it should fit nicely and look beautimous!  Costly, possibly, but beautimous none the less!  But highly functional, for those of us that value the comfort and safety of those passengers that ride with us.  I believe the #50460-06 part comes with the pins, springs, and ball bearings needed for that installation but am keeping the #8860 St. balls (2), #50938-04 (4) pivot pins, and #33085-74 springs(2) that were ordered from elsewhere on this site until the dust has settled.  Just in case......
Again, I have ridden the bike twice now and am really enjoying it.  Has mucho power and shifts verrrrrrry nicely.  Haven't experienced any issues with the hydraulic clutch that others have mentioned.  Headlight needs to be adjusted as I can illuminate the heavens with my highbeam.  Why do they deliver bikes that have not had that adjustment made??  At night the 6th gear light is very visible as well as the speedometer itself without having to lower your head if you have a fullface helmet.  The blue high-beam light however is below the speedometer and you have to take your eyes off the road to confirm you have brights on.  A bit agravating.  Next plans are to install an airhorn as the stock one is mousy just like all the others.  Airhorn will get noticed!!
Until next time, folks..........hope I shed some light on something for someone to save a little footwork and research.     Man, this is long winded and for that I apologize.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:05:33 AM by porkypig »

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »

Porky, I believe there is a very serious penalty assessed for spending more time typing than riding.  You may be required to do an iron butt.   :nixweiss:   :nervous:   Looks like you're making progress!    :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

Sawyer Brown

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:49:10 PM »

Well, the more serious crime is putting erroneous information into a post (i.e. Just confirmed I made an error on my previous post).  The black-painted thingy that connects the footboard pan supports actually attaches to the frame; not the rear fork.  I hate being wrong!  However, that sometimes lets one get to know their bike just that much better.  Also, I believe it will be necessary to order saddlebag relocation kit # 90238-00 for softail.  Don't you just hate it when you have to do all this extra stuff to make our rides 'personalized' ?  Guess that's what sets ours off from those other hd's.......(honduhs, for one.....)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.