Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Battery not holding charge  (Read 9149 times)

razar54

• CVO1: 09 fxdfse
Battery not holding charge
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:23 PM »

Just bought my bike and have to take it back to the dealer again!!! Battery won't stay up more than about 4 days.  Shouldn't I be able to put it in the garage without having to put the charger on it? I could leave my sporty in for all winter and it would start (slowly but it would start).  :nixweiss:

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: Battery not holding charge
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 05:30:20 AM »

Just bought my bike and have to take it back to the dealer again!!! Battery won't stay up more than about 4 days.  Shouldn't I be able to put it in the garage without having to put the charger on it? I could leave my sporty in for all winter and it would start (slowly but it would start).  :nixweiss:

Yes you should be able to leave the bike more then 4 days without a charger...ABSOLUTELY!

Something is definitely wrong, either with the battery itself or the charging system. If the bike is new or under warranty your covered. They may not cover the battery depending on the age of the bike and the relationship you have with your dealership.

If that bike is just a couple months old MAKE them cover everything!!

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:46:01 AM »

the security system is good at draining the battery while the bike sit in the garage, do you have the security system enabled?

razar54

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:43:50 AM »

Yes the security is on. Only had the bike for two weeks. Haven't learned all the ins and outs,but thanks. :oops:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

Even with the security system, the battery should not be flat after sitting only four days.  I'm going to assume you just purchased a new bike that may have been sitting on the showroom floor for awhile (a very common occurrence in the motorcycle retail industry over the past year or two).  If the dealership didn't keep the battery fully charged, and just relied on a quick "boost" charge to get it started after you bought it (also a common occurrence in vehicle retailing), you may have never had a full charge to start with.  Have the dealer address this, since leaving a battery in a discharged state for any length of time tends to permanently decrease that battery's capacity.  The battery should be fully charged and then a capacity test performed.  If it doesn't test to new battery specs, they owe you a new battery.  If the battery checks OK, they should perform a current draw test to make sure you don't have an abnormal draw sucking the battery down prematurely.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

razar54

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »

Took it to the dealer today. Only day I've had the time. No service people in but talked to sales person,almost but not quite had a temper tantrum. Actually thought I showed remarkable restraint.  :soapbox:   Will post pics as soon as I can get one small enough the server will accept. :nixweiss:

razar54

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »

Oh yeah, the salesman told me he just put the tender on the day before. Said it was a little slow to start. Don't know how long they had the bike. I bought it two weeks ago.
This is the second time I've taken it back. Two weekends in a row.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

No questions....replace the  battery.
a.k.a  Dent Dude

razar54

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 10:57:08 PM »

No questions....replace the  battery.

That is what I said.  But the service tech told me last sat. that if their tester did not show a bad battery then harley would not warranty it.
As of fri afternoon the battery was only showing 9 volts.
Oh well, as of noon today it is at the dealer.

razar54

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »

Ohh, look what I learned to do!!!

razar54

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 11:13:47 PM »

And another.

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »

Is that pulling in the clutch ?? :nixweiss:
a.k.a  Dent Dude

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »

That is what I said.  But the service tech told me last sat. that if their tester did not show a bad battery then harley would not warranty it.
As of fri afternoon the battery was only showing 9 volts.
Oh well, as of noon today it is at the dealer.

I fight with my dealership on occasions.....ok most times when I think I am right.

Sometimes as I stated before, it all depends on the relationship you have with them. They may be p..cks about it, I guess the question is......you've been there twice now and no results from the dealer. Is it worth the hassle ? Or should you dump the hundred bucks and be done.

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »

Oh yeah, the salesman told me he just put the tender on the day before. Said it was a little slow to start. Don't know how long they had the bike. I bought it two weeks ago.
This is the second time I've taken it back. Two weekends in a row.

You can get a good idea of how long the bike has been sitting by looking at the VIN label that I believe is applied to the left side of the steering head.  It should show the month and year of production, along with the VIN and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

The tech was correct when he said H-D won't honor their warranty claim unless the battery doesn't test within specs.  The problem with that is that they can make the battery pass the minimum spec by fully charging it right before applying the load test, but it won't be anywhere near as good as a brand new battery should be.  There's a big difference between minimum specs and typical brand new battery performance.  And it isn't H-D who should be responsible anyway, it is the dealer's responsibility to keep the batteries charged on bikes in inventory.

Depending on how long they let this battery sit discharged, you may get away with just getting it fully charged and then keeping it on a battery tender, but eventually the odds are you will wind up replacing the battery prematurely.  Typically that will occur after the warranty has expired, and the dealership will forget all about how they caused the problem when you ask them to pay for the new $100+ battery 2.5 years from now.  So if you want to make an issue about this, the time to do it is now.  If the salesman and service department don't give you satisfaction, go over their heads to the general manager or dealer.  If they can't spend less than $100 (their cost on a new battery) to keep a CVO customer happy, they don't deserve your business.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

razar54

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »

Is that pulling in the clutch ?? :nixweiss:

That was good!!!! :huepfenlol2:

razar54

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:42:21 PM »

You can get a good idea of how long the bike has been sitting by looking at the VIN label that I believe is applied to the left side of the steering head.  It should show the month and year of production, along with the VIN and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

The tech was correct when he said H-D won't honor their warranty claim unless the battery doesn't test within specs.  The problem with that is that they can make the battery pass the minimum spec by fully charging it right before applying the load test, but it won't be anywhere near as good as a brand new battery should be.  There's a big difference between minimum specs and typical brand new battery performance.  And it isn't H-D who should be responsible anyway, it is the dealer's responsibility to keep the batteries charged on bikes in inventory.

Depending on how long they let this battery sit discharged, you may get away with just getting it fully charged and then keeping it on a battery tender, but eventually the odds are you will wind up replacing the battery prematurely.  Typically that will occur after the warranty has expired, and the dealership will forget all about how they caused the problem when you ask them to pay for the new $100+ battery 2.5 years from now.  So if you want to make an issue about this, the time to do it is now.  If the salesman and service department don't give you satisfaction, go over their heads to the general manager or dealer.  If they can't spend less than $100 (their cost on a new battery) to keep a CVO customer happy, they don't deserve your business.

Jerry

The way I always understood warranties is repairs should be to the customers satisfaction.  They fix it and make me happy or they can have it back.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »

The way I always understood warranties is repairs should be to the customers satisfaction.  They fix it and make me happy or they can have it back.

There you go......give em hell!

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE (1 mile) eyecandy
    • CVO2: 10 FXDFSE
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »

Hey Razar
Sorry to hear of yur battery problems, my bikes set w/ alarms on for weeks at a time, sure hope ur dealer takes care of ya. These bikes are a ton of fun & not being able to ride ur new high dollar bike because it is in shop really does sux.
Jimmy

razar54

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »

Got my bike back from the dealer service today :orange:.  What do you know, they replaced the battery. If they had done this the first time, I would'nt had to blow up. Oh well I won't be going back. Going to another service shop if I have to. Supposed to be 65 deg. tomorrow, gotta ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 06:43:16 AM »

Got my bike back from the dealer service today :orange:.  What do you know, they replaced the battery. If they had done this the first time, I would'nt had to blow up. Oh well I won't be going back. Going to another service shop if I have to. Supposed to be 65 deg. tomorrow, gotta ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Yep. if they did that from jump.... they may have been able to retain a customer.
When will they learn..  :nixweiss:

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

Yep. if they did that from jump.... they may have been able to retain a customer.
When will they learn..  :nixweiss:

every dealership has good moments and bad, life is not always greener at your next port of call. Its always better to build a good relationship with somebody that genuinely takes an interest in your needs, its always a 2way relationship!
I was a disgruntled customer at a dealership that was voted and won a top HD award for the quality of dealership, go figure!

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 09:33:47 AM »

LarryB would have diagnosed the problem as an excessive current draw from the reflectors..
Letz Ride

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »

Gary

If it goes dead again check the voltage regulator. That will kill one while sitting for a few days.
RETIRED! :fireman:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.