Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Battery not holding charge  (Read 9167 times)

razar54

• CVO1: 09 fxdfse
Re: Battery not holding charge
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:42:21 PM »

You can get a good idea of how long the bike has been sitting by looking at the VIN label that I believe is applied to the left side of the steering head.  It should show the month and year of production, along with the VIN and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

The tech was correct when he said H-D won't honor their warranty claim unless the battery doesn't test within specs.  The problem with that is that they can make the battery pass the minimum spec by fully charging it right before applying the load test, but it won't be anywhere near as good as a brand new battery should be.  There's a big difference between minimum specs and typical brand new battery performance.  And it isn't H-D who should be responsible anyway, it is the dealer's responsibility to keep the batteries charged on bikes in inventory.

Depending on how long they let this battery sit discharged, you may get away with just getting it fully charged and then keeping it on a battery tender, but eventually the odds are you will wind up replacing the battery prematurely.  Typically that will occur after the warranty has expired, and the dealership will forget all about how they caused the problem when you ask them to pay for the new $100+ battery 2.5 years from now.  So if you want to make an issue about this, the time to do it is now.  If the salesman and service department don't give you satisfaction, go over their heads to the general manager or dealer.  If they can't spend less than $100 (their cost on a new battery) to keep a CVO customer happy, they don't deserve your business.

Jerry

The way I always understood warranties is repairs should be to the customers satisfaction.  They fix it and make me happy or they can have it back.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »

The way I always understood warranties is repairs should be to the customers satisfaction.  They fix it and make me happy or they can have it back.

There you go......give em hell!
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

jimamtay

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 FXSTSSE (1 mile) eyecandy
    • CVO2: 10 FXDFSE
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »

Hey Razar
Sorry to hear of yur battery problems, my bikes set w/ alarms on for weeks at a time, sure hope ur dealer takes care of ya. These bikes are a ton of fun & not being able to ride ur new high dollar bike because it is in shop really does sux.
Jimmy

razar54

• CVO1: 09 fxdfse
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »

Got my bike back from the dealer service today :orange:.  What do you know, they replaced the battery. If they had done this the first time, I would'nt had to blow up. Oh well I won't be going back. Going to another service shop if I have to. Supposed to be 65 deg. tomorrow, gotta ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 06:43:16 AM »

Got my bike back from the dealer service today :orange:.  What do you know, they replaced the battery. If they had done this the first time, I would'nt had to blow up. Oh well I won't be going back. Going to another service shop if I have to. Supposed to be 65 deg. tomorrow, gotta ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Yep. if they did that from jump.... they may have been able to retain a customer.
When will they learn..  :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

Yep. if they did that from jump.... they may have been able to retain a customer.
When will they learn..  :nixweiss:

every dealership has good moments and bad, life is not always greener at your next port of call. Its always better to build a good relationship with somebody that genuinely takes an interest in your needs, its always a 2way relationship!
I was a disgruntled customer at a dealership that was voted and won a top HD award for the quality of dealership, go figure!

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 09:33:47 AM »

Ohh, look what I learned to do!!!

LarryB would have diagnosed the problem as an excessive current draw from the reflectors..
Letz Ride

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »

Gary

If it goes dead again check the voltage regulator. That will kill one while sitting for a few days.
RETIRED! :fireman:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.