Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Scarlet is home  (Read 8186 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Scarlet is home
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »

Brought the Candy Sunglo / Autumn Haze ConV home last night.

We purchased it for my wifey and she absolutely loves her new bike. We hope to enjoy our new 2010 CVO's together. She finally got a chance to ride her this afternoon and had a great time.  She loved the ride but doesn't like the short windshield which blasts her face.

Does anyone know if HD makes a taller windshield for the ConV yet?

Oh yea...  picture included (first rule and all) Notice the look of the bike with the mustache bar. We think it really adds to the bike. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Scarlet is home
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »

Congrats!!!! That makes a fine pair of CVO's... enjoy!!! :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »

Congrats!!
I really like that color combo ... looks like I know what you'll be giving thanks for tomorrow  :)

I know we're not supposed to be that shallow, so you can just "think" it ... hehehe

Enjoy!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »

Very nice, enjoy the rides.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »

Very nice color indeed.  Everybody else is buying inferno orange ones.  Dare to be different.  Plus its the only style that has that cool color grind.  Be sure to visit the other thread concerning adornments for your convertible.  She will be very pleased with the bike. 

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »

Sweet looking ride! Your wife must be very pleased. Like the highway bars/engine guard. Mod on.

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 Sunset Orange / Sunset Black Fade
    • CVO2: 2010 Concord FLHXSE - Sold
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 08:44:52 PM »

Congrats!  Saw one of these in Delaware last week.  Sweeeet! :orange:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:02:51 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys..  she really does love the bike.

About the windshield though...  I think I have a solution.

The windshield off of my 05 SEFB fits the ConV. It actually looks pretty good but I hope it to be temporary. I will ride it tomorrow and get the bike up to speed and see how it works. If this does I will post a part number and a picture if anyone else wants to try this too.

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »

I have the same bike and love it. Congrats on the purchase just wondering why you are referring to the color as "Candy Sunglo" my bike says it is Crimson Red Sunglo/Autumn Haze/Metal Grind. Just wondering?

I'm diggin the Engine Guard on there and you are right about the windshield, I wish Clearview would make one for it.

Also did you do anything with the pipes? The bike is really quiet, and I cant decide what kind to put on it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:57:32 PM by newdep »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »

I have the same bike and love it. Congrats on the purchase just wondering why you are referring to the color as "Candy Sunglo" my bike says it is Crimson Red Sunglo/Autumn Haze/Metal Grind. Just wondering?

I'm diggin the Engine Guard on there and you are right about the windshield, I wish Clearview would make one for it.

Also did you do anything with the pipes? The bike is really quiet, and I cant decide what kind to put on it.

Obviously you are correct... Wifey has been calling it Candy so I just picked it up.

Have to give her credit on the mustache bar as she liked the one on the SESG and wanted one. It worked out nice we think. I have her a set of 360 mounts and the matching pegs on order.

The bike has only been here for 24 hours so there isn't really anything I've done to it yet and not sure what pipes she wants at this point and will do my own Dyno tuning. I did however change the shift linkage as it is was very plain looking, added an oil temp gauge and a tender cable to it then moved the key fob antenna as the alarm would go off with either fob in my pocket. After that I adjusted the bars and grip controls to fit her better.  Was at work most of the day so I need a little more time with it.  ::)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, hitting the sac.

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »

Beautiful bike. Even though I have a 2010 I still think the Autumn Haze, like the 06 SEUC is the best looking color.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »

Follow up...

This is what the ConV looks like with the windshield changed out.

She took her for a ride today and said the wind was fine now. We are hoping there will be a larger windshield available so the stock fairing can be installed.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »

The bigger windshield it the ticket looks good and the mustache bar really goes good with that bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »

The bigger windshield it the ticket looks good and the mustache bar really goes good with that bike  :2vrolijk_21:

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

I agree that might be the way to go for now. Can you post some more photos when you get time?

Thanks
Dave

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »

I will post more. I also have to find that part number.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:04:46 PM by reksul »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »

This is the part number of the windshield used.

58278-95

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Low-Profile, Lightly Smoked (not shown)

Fits '86-'99 FLSTC and '90-later FLSTF, FLSTFB, '06 FLST and '93-'96 FLSTN models without auxiliary lamps. (Does not fit Springer® models.) Windshield dimensions: Overall height 23.4"; width 23.1".

MSRP US $379.95

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »

Here are some more pics of the mustache bar and windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »

and another

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »

Last one

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »

Amazing bike.  I have the same one.  Thankful for the pics but was hoping for one straight-on showing just the whole windshield plus the headlight to see how far down it extended, how high up, etc.  So, what is the height from top of headlight to top of the windshield on this one you put on there?  Have you given any consideration to having it cut (or doing it yourself) to accommodate mounting it into the fairing as a permanent installation or is the curvature different than the stock shield?  Looks like one can take the stock shield itself out of the faring, fairly easily.  Just wondering.  I'm about 5-11+ and would like the shield to hit me right about the nose or just below.  Struggled for 5 years with the kingsize shield stock on my Heritage being just about 2 inches too high for optimal viewing of the road without looking thru the shield.  I know the issue of the short windshield and all the gale-force wind it allows just about scuttled the deal with me buying this bike.   

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »

Amazing bike.  I have the same one.  Thankful for the pics but was hoping for one straight-on showing just the whole windshield plus the headlight to see how far down it extended, how high up, etc.  So, what is the height from top of headlight to top of the windshield on this one you put on there? 18" from the top of the headlight to the top center edge of the shield.

Have you given any consideration to having it cut (or doing it yourself) to accommodate mounting it into the fairing as a permanent installation or is the curvature different than the stock shield?  Looks like one can take the stock shield itself out of the faring, fairly easily.  I haven't given it the first thought but the configuration of the mount brackets would leave a hole in the new shield. It's simply a different configuration.Just wondering.  

I'm about 5-11+ and would like the shield to hit me right about the nose or just below.  You and I are about the same height. I'm 5'10" with a 32 inseam. The shield hits me right at the nose.Struggled for 5 years with the kingsize shield stock on my Heritage being just about 2 inches too high for optimal viewing of the road without looking thru the shield. This shield is the medium height shield not the tall shield that comes stock on the Heritage.  

I know the issue of the short windshield and all the gale-force wind it allows just about scuttled the deal with me buying this bike.  Harley designed the ConV shield to lean back to the rider. There is little wind blockage with the stock shield/fairing. This windshield change doesn't look bad at all and has more of an upright look which does a good job of blocking the wind from the riders head.

Hope you don't mind a shot while it's in the garage. This is the best I can do for tonight. The camera flash makes it look like there is a double shield on the bike. The halo is larger than the shield if you can mentally block it out you can see the full front end shot.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »

Hey, thanks a lot for taking that time.  Guess you're right about the shield not fitting the faring.  Oh, well.  Your idea is actually what I thought about at first last summer at Sturgis.  My only question was what would I do with the stock windshield (have to purchase it anyway, though!!) after I went to the expense of buying another replacment.  But that is what sets Harleys apart from other bikes is the ability to achieve a custom to you look.  But it'll cost us!!
Thanks again.   Great picture.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »

No trouble at all.

Just another thought. Installing this windshield does bring another option.

A windshield bag.

This shield, with the forward tilt, opens a nice size hole between the bars and shield that gives plenty of room for a bag. Should be a nice touch.

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Thats a good look and functional too. Best of both worlds. Nice ride...

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:33 PM »

I have the exact same bike, just took delivery two weeks ago from Harley Annapolis. Re the buffet on the stock windshield, I have the same issue around 55 mph. Talked to the service guys at the Annapolis office and they looked up the part numbers for the windshield portion of the fairing, and stated that it's a single part number at this point. When I mentioned that several threads have made statements about buffet problems with the convertable, the service rep manager said he'd call "Spock" at Harley. Ten minutes latter, he said the 'Spock" indicated we should check after January when Harley places a lot of new mods out in bike shows. The service rep stated that Harley should notice these issues and respond with a mod to the windshield at some point.

Though the clear-view does offer another option, I like the look of the stock fairing. With a few inches more vertical height, I think the buffet problem would be solved

Ride Safe.................

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »

I agree.  The larger, clear windshield is the idea I initially went with when deciding to get this bike.  However, I really like the fairing it comes stock with and would like to be able to utilize the part that I'm sure I paid $1K or better for.  :o  So, if they design something that fits into the stock fairing and extends to the sides and up a few inches farther......heck, they could make it the same rake and dimension as the Heritage, which is why I considered the bike in the first place.  That windshield is virtually the same windshield as this one off a Fat Boy.  If it mounted inside the stock fairing, how cool would that be??  The one that comes on this bike is nice for looks only, but really, how practical is a short little windshield that is raked way back and is smoked way too much and lets the wind beat the crap out of you at highway speeds??  I have looked at many tiny little shields on bikes and thought to myself, What the??
Guess I'll have to stay tuned to this forum for mods to come out for this bike because otherwise I'll probably miss them but want and dream of them anyway.  One thing I will wait for is for the MoCo to design a set of saddlebag guards that will fit on this bike.  I ordered a set for softails and they did not hook up as the tailpipe sits too high and where it mounts up, it is 1-1/2" off.  That is important to my passenger.  Also, anybody who has bought a trunk has found that you need the detachable extention kit and then the detachable mounts stick out another 1/2" inch or so than normal, which is a bit unsightly when you are stripping down for a show, the street, etc.  Maybe the MoCo will be working on something that will make this just a bit easier and look more flush in the future.  May have a substantial cost for more flush, but that is technology, I guess.  I have ordered a rear shift lever now and when it gets in, I will report on whether that is the ticket or not.  This is one cool bike!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:39:11 PM by porkypig »

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »

Brought the Candy Sunglo / Autumn Haze ConV home last night.

We purchased it for my wifey and she absolutely loves her new bike. We hope to enjoy our new 2010 CVO's together. She finally got a chance to ride her this afternoon and had a great time.  She loved the ride but doesn't like the short windshield which blasts her face.

Does anyone know if HD makes a taller windshield for the ConV yet?

Oh yea...  picture included (first rule and all) Notice the look of the bike with the mustache bar. We think it really adds to the bike. 

Very nice looking bike. You guys are lucky, two 2010 CVO's under one roof. Be Safe Guys.  :2vrolijk_21:
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »

The clear windshield that you added looks much better that the stock piece....it sort of blends in with the rest of the scoot and does not distract from the beautiful paint job or the lines of the bike.  Great job!!!

napalm
napalm
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.