Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 188328 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2010, 01:36:17 AM »

I spoke with a guy this afternoon that had his Fat Boy wheels plated here:
http://www.ocplating.com/

He said they were three years old, having seventeen thousand miles on them and, I will say, they looked like mirrors.
Beautiful!

Too funny.  I know exactly where that place is.  Happens to be about three miles from where I was born.  Have sent small parts there before also. Then about three years ago started using a pair of old hands set up (probably well outside of EPA auspices) down in the hills south of where I am now.  Close to the Missouri/Arkansas state line.  They did nice work.  But disappeared last fall.  So have no local platers again.  Damn shame.  That was convenient.

One of use should send a photo of a SERK wheel to this shop so they'll know what they're quoting.  Mine are boxed and in the attic.  But the centers won't be hidden by rotors.  So unless you've got some good imagery to use I'll grab a pic of something here.

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 01:54:16 AM »

That's a great idea!  We may even qualify for a volume discount.   :nixweiss: 

I want to have mine plated and this shop appears to qualify.
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »

That's a great idea!  We may even qualify for a volume discount.   :nixweiss: 

I want to have mine plated and this shop appears to qualify.

Will try to remember to take the camera up in the attic in the next day or six (or seven).  Will send a pic off to them after I do.  With any luck we'll hit them up on a day they just scored on the lottery and are feeling generous!

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:54 AM »

Will try to remember to take the camera up in the attic in the next day or six (or seven).  Will send a pic off to them after I do.  With any luck we'll hit them up on a day they just scored on the lottery and are feeling generous!

:coolblue: 

Generosity is a virtue!  :)
Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »

Keep me in mind. I'm looking to chrome mine also!

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »

Keep me in mind. I'm looking to chrome mine also!

JW

Will do.  Since chroming a wheel is basically a one-off task over and over I'd not expect a lot of kick-back for quantity.  But will certainly ask.  I'll keep my finger crossed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »

Had a PM asking suggesting progress on this wee bike task should be updated.  Don't have that much to add really. 

Final decisions were made to use Lindby crash bars front and rear; those are here in one of the piles.  The HD brand auxiliary/fog lights will mount on the front crash bar with wires run internally.  I like the look of those lights and have run them on the same bars on another Road King before. 

HD has a flamed housing front and rear signal housing kit.  The housings actually intended to be rear housings became the front turn signals on the old SERG last year (flamed signal housings with the sleeker mounts are a nice subtle change there).  The actual front housings from this kit will be the front signals on the SERK when the day comes.  Will be adding complementary spots to the bike also though.  Headwinds makes a nice looking bracket that serves dual duty as a lower tree and brake line cover and a spot light mounting bracket.  Using that bracket and their 2" Mariah Concourse flamed spotlights.

The HD auxilary lights shoot quite wide.  The headwinds 2" spot shoot more narrow and long.  The two will make a nice combination for auxiliary lighting.  Coupled with the dual bulb light housing and HIDs it'll be good for night riding.

Forks will get the Progressive monotube kits.  Still haven't picked a pair of shocks yet.  Have a set of the 95th Anniversary red footboard fringe to go on the front footboards.  Won't have rear boards or pegs as it'll get a solo seat.

Was in Kansas City to the powder coater shop to pick up the frame a month or so ago.  Didn't bring it and the swingarm and other small brackets that were there home though.  There was what one might describe as a problem.  The nice dark red I'd picked was a nice dark red; generally.  But something had happened and it had Pepto Bismol colored chicken pox.

It had been done for awhile before I finally went up after it.  A winter project for the shop.  They were good enough to not be in a hurry for me to come get it.  But my delay in getting there has pushed the rework in to a busier part of their schedule.

Still no real rush though.  I've still not decided what I'm doing with the engine.  One day I know for sure.  Then another day I know for sure again.  Trouble is I'm sure of different things each day :huepfenlol2: .

The wheels still need to go off to a chromer somewhere.  Several other smaller parts to be chromed also.  Things like motor mount brackets, inner primary, caliper housings, the front master cylinder, bracket and clutch perch parts have to go in also.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of the brakes choice.  Standard OE brakes in the rear but the newer model Brembo stuff in the front.  Got a set of black takes off handlebar parts as freebies awhile back so the choice got simpler.  Damned if I can remember right now the name of the front rotors I scored off eBay either...

Still have to make a decision a speedometer also.  Autometer makes one I like the look of.  Also really like the HD silver faced unit with the speedo on top and tach on the bottom  And still also strongly considering the newer Dakota Digital combined instrument.  All it's added functionality combined with its (to me) good looks makes it a hard piece to choose against.

Ok, so; really, not much more done.  More parts collected, which is fun by itself.  But aside from a larger pile it's still a work in progress.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »

Don

When I get around to your area again, you'll have to show me the "pile"

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »

Don

When I get around to your area again, you'll have to show me the "pile"

JW

I'd love to.  Will have to repile a bit first though.  I'm not organized enough to have it all in one place :huepfenlol2: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »

No new work or parts purchase but a pending decision was made on this project yesterday.  It involves first specifically choosing then purchasing more parts.  But at least it's a decision.  

Rode to OKC yet to meet Charlie and several others for lunch.  Got to enjoy Charlie's 02 candy brandy bike.  Man it's nice (by the way).

One reservation I've had is the wheels.  Really like the look of the solid centerline type wheels on these bikes.  Always have.  They're polished OE so would want to get mine chromed before final assembly.  But, looks notwithstanding, I hate solid wheels on a bike.

In the wind they're a pain.  The appreciation of the look of this wheel and that it is "part of this bike" kept taking me back to the stockers though.

Was riding in slightly windy conditions yesterday.  250 miles or so headed SW a bike that normally gets about 35 mpg got 30.  Coming home in the afternoon with the same winds quartering from the rear the same bike got 40 mpg.  That kind of wind.  

Was on the SERG and it's got a nice looking set of chromed FLHX wheels.  The first gen of those wheels with the smaller "slots."  Even those danced some in this wind.  As they have before.  So nothing new.  But sitting there enjoying the ride kept thinking about how pissed I'd regularly get cussing the solid wheels on the SERK on windy days.

So I'm not going to.

It's getting spokes.  Not wagon wheels.  Laced wheels.  Something in the 80 spoke range or in the 50 spoke range if I go with fat spokes.  I like the radial pattern but will have to study more before finally deciding there.  With laced wheels on a Road King might also do wide whites too.  Even considering an 18x3.5 for the front.

There shall be bling.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »

One reservation I've had is the wheels.  Really like the look of the solid centerline type wheels on these bikes.  Always have.  They're polished OE so would want to get mine chromed before final assembly.  But, looks notwithstanding, I hate solid wheels on a bike.

There shall be bling.

Keeping these damn things looking good is a PIA. I'm also draw to the solids on this scooter but may store the stockers for something else. There is just something about these Candy Brandy's tho!

What are your ideas for your motor?

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2010, 11:38:59 AM »

Keeping these damn things looking good is a PIA. I'm also draw to the solids on this scooter but may store the stockers for something else. There is just something about these Candy Brandy's tho!

What are your ideas for your motor?

JW

Oy vey.....  That's been the killer decision Jeff.  Since there is nothing time urgent about this project, and since the process is an enjoyment of a kind of its own, nothing has forced an engine decision.  And I still haven't made one.  Only have it narrowed down to options.  They are:

1) Basically stock 95; as with only touching up the heads a bit and another Mackie 510 cams.

2) Still a 95 but more head work, a bit more compression and the Mackie 590 cams.

# 2 is the least likely option of all options considered.  #'s one and two would be options that might also include not lifting the cylinders at all for powder coat and diamond cutting.  Though might do that cosmetic work for any option.  Again, all these damned engine decisions I haven't made yet.

3) Option 3 is to repeat what has worked so very well in the red bike.  That'd be take it to 107 by stroking it and using 3 15/16" cylinders.  The stroked 107 with the Mackie 598s and the rest of that package runs so well and has such great performance it is a consideration that can't be easily dismissed.

4) Last option I'm considering is a different 107".  All bore and shorter stroke.  With top end and other choices made to match these characteristics it could run well too and wrap a bit more quickly than the 107" in the red bike.

Not doing anything any bigger than any of these.  Choices are narrowed down to these four.  And someday (relatively) soon I'll pick one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:53:18 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »

Couldn't agree more.  Even the tins off a bike are nice to look at.  They just have that "something" that makes a guy go "damn, that's nice."

It was a hard choice to finally decide to put the solid wheels in long term storage and go another way.  But after the ride yesterday gave time to focus on the choice a bit I know for me it's the right one.

I don't want to have gone through this process and at the end regularly be disappointed with any decision that was made.  Everything has to satisfy for both form and function.  I know the solids won't do that.  I also know a nice set of laced wheels will.

Maybe I need to take another little ride back and forth to OKC to consider the engine :huepfenlol2: ?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »

Oy vey.....  That's been the killer decision Jeff.  Since there is nothing time urgent about this project, and since the process is an enjoyment of a kind of its own, nothing has forced an engine decision.  And I still haven't made one.  Only have it narrowed down to options.  They are:

1) Basically stock 95; as with only touching up the heads a bit and another Mackie 510 cams.

2) Still a 95 but more head work, more compression and the Mackie 598 cams.

# 2 is the least likely option of all options considered.  #'s one and two would be options that might also include not lifting the cylinders at all for powder coat and diamond cutting.  Though might do that cosmetic work for any option.  Again, all these damned engine decisions I haven't made yet.

3) Option 3 is to repeat what has worked so very well in the red bike.  That'd be take it to 107 by stroking it and using 3 15/16" cylinders.  The stroked 107 with the Mackie 598s and the rest of that package runs so well and has such great performance it is a consideration that can't be easily dismissed.

4) Last option I'm considering is a different 107".  All bore and shorter stroke.  With top end and other choices made to match these characteristics it could run well too and wrap a bit more quickly than the 107" in the red bike.

Not doing anything any bigger than any of these.  Choices are narrowed down to these four.  And someday (relatively) soon I'll pick one.

Man it must just suck to have to be in such a position! LOL!

Since you already have done option 1 & 3, I'd look hard at #2. Or option 2 the DME 590. I'm considering that if I do any work on her motor this winter. Should be a good set up coming on a little earlier than the 598. FWIW.

JW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »

Man it must just suck to have to be in such a position! LOL!

Since you already have done option 1 & 3, I'd look hard at #2. Or option 2 the DME 590. I'm considering that if I do any work on her motor this winter. Should be a good set up coming on a little earlier than the 598. FWIW.

JW

Ooops, that was a typo (will go back and correct).  Must have been thinking about the red bike's motor.  Option two would be "a bit more head work and the Mackie 590s."  If I stayed with option two I'd keep the CR a bit lower than the 598s would really need to work well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 73

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 22 queries.