Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Ventilator Breather vs. Heavy Breather  (Read 15996 times)

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
Ventilator Breather vs. Heavy Breather
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:29 AM »

Will someone educate me on this; I currently have a SE Heavy Breather on my 07 Ultra but I had to take my lowers off.

I want to switch to something else so I can put them back on.

What do I need? Can I run the Ventilator that is in the SE catalog? I don't see anything for an 07 110, just something about a backplate.

I'm confused, but then that is nothing new!
Unapologetically American!

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Ventilator Breather vs. Heavy Breather
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:37 AM »

From the P&A catalog says will fit 09 + touring bikes. I have one for my ULTRA Limited, however it is an 103" and it fits no problem. I bet you would not have a problem, also they are stock on the 09 SERG with the 110".

geezerglide
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:06:38 AM by geezerglide »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:07 AM »

I have the Ventilator A/C on my 2010 SE Ultra and it fits as it should and I think it looks great.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »

Here's a second shot

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »

Is it just me, or is that thing on crooked?!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

Here is the chrome version that is on Harley's site. It has an -09 part number but that really doesn't mean that it wont fit the 07.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773008&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302320149&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302320149&bmUID=1259854338108&bmLocale=en_US

Here is the installation instructions for the part. Maybe viewing it will give you an idea if it will work or not?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J04843.pdf

But, if you don't want to go this route and have an old Football cover (or other) I have a Stage 1 AC kit that I took off that has about 1200 miles on it.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 10:45:58 AM »

I think it's the rotation of the earth on a day that ends in the letter Y that makes it look that way.

I had to give it a double take too. It's even with the pipes and the bottom line of the tank so my guess is...  we are both just getting old and senile.

::)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »

If it is "crooked" it was designed to be that way since there's only on way for it to be positioned. I have the 58mm TB installed which can only be positioned against the bolt patten provided and the A/C must be attached according to the bolt pattern on the TB. The A/C in the picture is solidly attached and there is no way to adjust the position.

If you check out the 2010 SE SG it's pretty much the same...aligned with the bottom of the tank. In any case, its not adjustable.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 10:55:01 AM »

Here's a another pic. Looks aligned to the tank and the pipe to my eyes. Probably the rotation of the earth impacted the other pics ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »

I'd swear that bike ain't sitting square to the ground! Did you raise the rear or something? :nixweiss: ???

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »

Heatwave...  when I purchased my SESG and the ConV this was one of the first things that caught my eye. "Hey, it looks crooked".

The old style football covers on the Stage 1 AC were persnickety and you had to step back and keep adjusting them until they looked straight.

Well, my head was bolted on straight when I was young but now I don't even hang a picture on the wall without a level.   :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »

Heatwave...  when I purchased my SESG and the ConV this was one of the first things that caught my eye. "Hey, it looks crooked".

The old style football covers on the Stage 1 AC were persnickety and you had to step back and keep adjusting them until they looked straight.

Well, my head was bolted on straight when I was young but now I don't even hang a picture on the wall without a level.   :2vrolijk_21:

It looks straight in the pic of your bike here! :nixweiss:

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »

there is a version of the heavy breather that fits with the glove boxes

i have read that the lowers will fit with the old heavy breather - but you needed to remove the right glove box

to

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »

See...  that picture was taken on a day that ended with a "Y" I tell you. It's just weird.

What can I say?? The SESG is just the perfect bike! That's why I'm beating my brains out trying to fix those chip marks in the paint.

...seriously, that sig pic was taken the day she came home and just before the right footboard fell off.

How about this one. It's the wifey's ConV (you know we are going to give Heatwave a complex, he's headed outside right now with a ruler)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »

Looks crooked to me........ :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »

See...  that picture was taken on a day that ended with a "Y" I tell you. It's just weird.

What can I say?? The SESG is just the perfect bike! That's why I'm beating my brains out trying to fix those chip marks in the paint.

...seriously, that sig pic was taken the day she came home and just before the right footboard fell off.

How about this one. It's the wifey's ConV (you know we are going to give Heatwave a complex, he's headed outside right now with a ruler)

That looks straight too!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »

I think YOU'RE crooked.................................in the HEAD!!! ::) :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:56 AM »

I'd swear that bike ain't sitting square to the ground! Did you raise the rear or something? :nixweiss: ???

The suspension is stock...untouched. However I do run with 40psi in the rear shocks. I'm a big guy 6"4" and around 265. I found that running less pressure in the rear suspension caused it to bottom out too often. Right now its perfect at 40 psi, whether I'm solo or 2-up. Could the rear suspension with 40psi look elevated without my "load" on the bike?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »

The suspension is stock...untouched. However I do run with 40psi in the rear shocks. I'm a big guy 6"4" and around 265. I found that running less pressure in the rear suspension caused it to bottom out too often. Right now its perfect at 40 psi, whether I'm solo or 2-up. Could the rear suspension with 40psi look elevated without my "load" on the bike?

No, I don't believe so. It's gotta be the angle these pics are taken from. Unless the TB itself is mounted crooked to the heads, the breather as you said, can only go on 1 way. Either it's the angle of the pics causing it to look distorted, or the TB isn't mounted correctly. From the pics though, I'd take a close look at your TB mounting. ;)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »

OK...  this is what we call a "Primo Hijacked Thread". 

:jack:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »

OK...  this is what we call a "Primo Hijacked Thread". 

:jack:

HeHe!!! Nowhere close! At least we're still talking breathers here! ::) ;D ;)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »

OK...you guys are a real Pain in the a** (in a good way of course). I just came back from the garage. Took the A/C off. Fussed with it and re-installed it. Is this better? Are you guys happy now??? (I know I am, since it now looks straighter to me but who knows...you guys will probably tell me its now crooked in the opposite direction....) :P

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:10:36 PM by Heatwave »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

Another pic

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »

and a last

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

OK...you guys are a real Pain in the a** (in a good way of course). I just came back from the garage. Took the A/C off. Fussed withit and re-installed it. Is this better? Are you guys happy now??? (I know I am since it now looks straighter to me but who knows...you guys will probably tell me its now crooked in the oppositie direction.... :P

You're to easy.... is that a fingerprint I see on.... oh, and is this crooked...?? :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »

I liked it better crooked!      :cherry: :cherry: :cherry:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

Frankly, it looks much better, but to me, it's still slightly off in the same direction as before. But that might just be the pic angle. I'll leave ya alone with this now. It just seemed real obvious before. Not as much now. Have fun man! :2vrolijk_21:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 12:06:20 PM »

OMG!!  I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Could feel you walking out to your bike for a double take.

Nice job!

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

You're to easy.... is that a fingerprint I see on.... oh, and is this crooked...?? :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Sh*t...back to the garage..... :P

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »

Sh*t...back to the garage..... :P

Bring the front up just a tad.....that should do it.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »

I'm going with the ventilator, you guys are out of control and you all should be at work anyway right?

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »

hell i just want to know who the girl in the picture is

who cares if the air cleaner is crooked.... :drink:

to

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »

I'm going with the ventilator, you guys are out of control and you all should be at work anyway right?

SixGun,

There is a new Heavy Breather designed for use with fairing lowers. I removed my Ventilator because of the oil that drips from the bottom after it becomes saturated. The Heavy Breather completely eliminated that problem.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

BigRed

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »

SE is now making a heavy breather that is shorter to allow for lowers.

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »

My buddy with a 2009 Glide is swapping out with me, no money! Plus it say 110 so I'm good. Thanks

Great call by MoCo to wait a few years before figuring out to make a breather that fits every bike...Dumb A#$es!

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »

I installed the "Old" Heavy Breather with my lowers....

V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »

I installed the "Old" Heavy Breather with my lowers....

That looks good, Are those RG lowers? Looks like the Glove Box would interfer? I wonder how much shorter the new SE Heavy Breather is and if the Glove Box would still fit?
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

Now see, that would not work with my lowers!

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »

Yes, they are factory Road Glide Lowers, and no, I don't have the boxes.   That's a good point, if I did, the old Heavy Breather wouldn't fit.   
V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

RK2000

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »

Six Gun I believe what you will find is that the Ventilator is made for 50mm TB that is on the 08 and later. The 07s had 46mm TB. Bolt pattern may be different

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 03:10:14 PM »

Good to know, since my buddy left for Iraq yesterday I guess I will have to wait until Feb to find out. Oh well, I'm replacing the handlebars, inner fairing, and tourpak, and lowering it, and moving the licsense plate bracket, amp,...etc...

I got enough to keep me busy...

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »

This is not a great picture, taken with my iPhone the day I brought it home.

I've since tried to rotate the air cleaner to be level with the bike, not the tank.  This thing is bolted in and cannot rotate to a horizontal plane.  It bolts to the TB and the TB is not able to be rotated either.

I didn't spend much time on this, but I'm sure I can do some tweaking somewhere to level it out.

But if you look very close at some of the pictures of the SERG that the factory put out up front, the motor is NOT truly vertical in the frame, it tilts forward just a bit.  Take a look at the lifter blocks and the heads just above the exhaust ports.  They are not the same from front to rear.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »

The Ventilator will also works with the 58mm TB as well. Here's a pic on the Ventilator installed on a 58mm TB on my 2010 SE Ultra (TP detached). There is "a little" adjustment you can get from the ventilator A/C to get it to better align with the bottom of the gas tank. Remove the 2 screws holding the 110 logo. You can now loosen the screws holding the cover in place. I found that if I removed the cover and re-installed it with a little upward pressure on both the forward end of the backing plate and then the cover you can make a slight adjustment to better align the overall A/C to your preference.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:08:58 AM by Heatwave »

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »

HD Ventilator replacingmthe stock AC on my 2010 ULTRA Limited 103".

Also, a set of Supertrapp Fatshots.

geezerglide

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2010, 12:08:01 AM »

I was just going to say the same thing.  It's not on there straight.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »

I think I need to go take a pic of mine and see if it looks straight in the photo.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »

After sitting down next to my bike and looking at it directly, mine looks like the ventilator angles down toward the front also.  There is no adjustment due to the way the backplate bolts up directly to the throttle body.  I still like the looks of it.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:48 AM »

One other item to add here...my understanding is that they now make a heavy breather for use with lowers.  Part #28716-10 fits with fairing lower glove boxes.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:25 AM »

After sitting down next to my bike and looking at it directly, mine looks like the ventilator angles down toward the front also.  There is no adjustment due to the way the backplate bolts up directly to the throttle body.  I still like the looks of it.

We all know you well enough to know that this thing being crooked will bug the chit outta you !!!  :cherry:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2010, 01:02:02 PM »

We all know you well enough to know that this thing being crooked will bug the chit outta you !!!  :cherry:

It's not bugging me at all.  It looks great on there.  What does bug me is that I scraped my new Honda Pilot on the garage door opening late New Year's Eve.  I should have listened to my friend that told me not to try to put that thing in my garage that night.  I suppose I was visibly more out of balance than I felt I was.  Chit happens and I'm too often the culprit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 21 queries.