Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFSM Hands Free Security Module (alarm)  (Read 5562 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
HFSM Hands Free Security Module (alarm)
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »

Well, let's get this new thread going.  Has anybody had any issues with this topic just yet on their new bike?  I have triggered it mistakenly twice now.  I believe it will get better and fewer times are in the future as it is the loudest and most uncomfortable alarm I have ever been around.  Like the common crook that messes up and goes.......oooops, when it starts going off, one wants to get in the habit of just carrying your fob most times you are around the bike even looking at it.  Sit on it or disconnect the battery during a 'senior' moment??  Fuhgettaboutit!  You will find yourself as though there is a skunk that just went off right next to you.  You are compelled to just get away as fast as your 2 feet can propell you.  Just admit you messed up and go get the FOB.  Is that like an accronym for something???  Anyway, unless the crook is wearing good earplugs or stone-cold deaf, your bike is going to be safe.  thanks, HD !

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

Re: HFSM Hands Free Security Module (alarm)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:51:42 AM »

Now, however (always a caveat.....hehe) here is the problem.  I have only had the bike going on 3 weeks and only put 70 miles on it.  It is now cold in the NW and I just want to look at it and dream of warmer days to come.  I decided I wanted to install the super loud airhorn that Harley offers.  So, during that 'senior' moment, I did not have the FOB with me and decided I wanted disconnect the battery to install the horn.  About the time I started fiddlin' with the battery bolt, I could see the gears turning, so to speak, as I was lifting the bolt and the cable away (actually I never even got that far before the alarm started going off and I began scrambling to get the fob close and even then it had already taken off for the moon!)  Not sure how I really got it to finally stop screaming at me.  Screamin' eagle, no wonder!!  Guess it's really a description of the alarm, isn't it??  Anyway, I got it calmed down but then the little lighted key on the speedometer did not flash any more that I could tell.  So, later I looked in the owner's manual and it talked about turning the ignition on and then disconnecting the battery lead (with the fob close, of course!).  Well, now the headlight is "on" while you are disconnecting the battery.  Doesn't make good sense to me why you would be directed to do that but it works.  The alarm never went off and I had disconnected the battery for the job at hand.  After the horn was installed, I was nervous to say the least as I began going thru the process of getting the battery reconnected without screamin' meemee going nuts!  I turned on the ignition (FOB close, of course) and connected the battery cable and wal-la!  The alarm system became functional again and the horn blew (had to try it once at 9:45 at night)  Now, however, I have not messed with the PIN number to customize it to me but have decided to do that.....later.  Ok, ........I have to go to work now so will get back to this in the next couple hours.  (looks like a cliffhanger, doesn't it???)   ha!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:00:27 PM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »

At work now........anyway, the owner's manual says to turn the ign on, off, on, off, and then on again.  Now you press the left signal 3 times followed by the right signal once.  Then you will see the signal lights flash 3 times.  At this time a screen on the speedometer appears that will show 5 dashes in a straight line and will display the current PIN that the bike comes with, I assume, with the 1st digit flashing and ready to be changed.  Anyway, my screen shows no current pin at all.  It has the makings of 5 dashes in a row, somewhat.  I say that because the 1st dash is there, but the 2nd is missing from its proper place and instead is hanging next to the 1st dash looking much like a 'comma'.  The last 3 dashes are in their proper places.  And unfortunately, when you go thru the motions to change each dash and program in a new number, nothing happens as you go thru the steps.  So, there is my dilemma that I have come to with this thread.  One other symptom is that when I turn the ignition off, a few seconds later the lights flash twice followed by 3 subtle chirps(?) (versus 2 that I believe should be the case).  Didn't pay that close of attention prior to removing the battery cable mistakenly at the beginning of this thread as to what exactly the bike did when fresh from the dealer.  Does anybody know how to overcome the hurdle I find myself in as far as getting the bike to 'take' my newly programmed PIN number?   Please don't say, "worthless without pics" as I didn't get a picture of the speedometer screen but I can this evening.  My written description hopefully should be sufficient but will post a pic showing what I am seeing on the screen.  Won't be able to post the pic until next Monday from work (my old Windows 98 machine is growing tired of me, lately). 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »

Is everybody having a good time yet??  Ok, school time.....take out your #2 pencil and start taking notes.  I have made a few discoveries so far and things have improved.......To begin with, these sure are soffisticated pieces of electronics.  However, a human is printing the books as well as reading the printed word (Me!!).  I have found a couple mistakes in printing materials for this new bike but guess with the thousands and thousands of things that are printed correctly, a couple misprints and things left out aren't too awful bad, huh?
Anyway, to begin with, when trying to get to the PIN screen for the dashes to appear, you must have the speedometer screen in "Odometer" mode only.  Not the clock, or mph, or trip meters etc.  Just the odometer mode.  Then it isn't consistent between the service manual and the owner's manual but you should have the stop engine switch in "off".  I say this because it looks like it works both ways (off or on) but doesn't run your fuel pump if in the "off" position.  Next you have to quickly push the left turn signal twice (this also differs from owner's manual to service manual...it goes into the next mode whether you push it twice or three times so I settled on 2 times and made a notation in my owner's manual.  This is followed by the signal lights flashing 3 times.  Then you push the right signal once and wal-la (there it is again :P) it takes you to the 5 flashing dashes or the 5 flashing PIN numbers if you had previously set them and now want to change them, or whatever.  That is how you also will find out what the PIN number has been set to before you got it, especially in my case where the dealer didn't say dookie about a preset PIN number.  Then you can change it in the manner described in the owner's manual and service manual.  The main thing is having the screen set to odometer first.  
My PIN number is finally set to a new one.
Now, however my dilemma is only figuring out how to disarm the alarm by using the PIN number.  Cannot get it to go into the PIN receiving mode at all.  When following the destructions it only wants to set the 4-way flashers and nothing more.  Cannot get the key icon in the dash to flash at a fast rate like it refers to in the owners manual on page 57.             Any ideas??  Come on, fellow FLSTSE owners out there........... school's out for this teacher....I'm flunking out here!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:32:09 PM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »

oh, yeah, and about that 'comma' symbol in the dash mentioned back there a little ways...seems it actually is an 'r' symbol and refers to having Low fuel.  Believe it just got triggered when the battery was disconnected and upon reconnection it needs to be ridden a mile or so to reset.  Have plenty of fuel in the bike and it only gets updated when the bike is in motion.  So, after putting about a mile on the bike, it has now reset and that 'r low' has gone away. 

Blueyz0416

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »

Have only had mine for a couple of weeks as well, and only 100 miles on it so far; but in the 1st couple of days, I was peeled off the ceiling of the garage twice already by the seemingly unprovoked shrill alarm.  On both occasions the key farb was hanging from the brake cable/handlebar as I picked up the bike to sit on it (position from which I was launched to the ceiling).  Dave thought it might be the alarm antenna positioning under the seat; so he moved it between the front of the battery and the frame.  Haven't had any more issues; but have to admit I still cringe when getting ready to back it out of the garage.  Oh, and the sound was extra special with the garage door down :o
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:07:37 PM by Blueyz0416 »
Carol

2010 CVO Softail Convertible, "Scarlett"

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.